Canadian Insurance - Ottawa ... Need help!

Deadeye

Deadeye
Donating Member
Registered
Need help from Canadian Busa riders. I'm Canadian serving at Tyndall AFB in Fl (where I bought my 06 Busa) ... now I'm being transferred back to Canada and my wife checked insurance rates and found that it will cost like 2 grand/year to insure my baby!!!
SHOCKED.gif
Any other Canadians out there? Ontario? Who do you get insurance from? Please help! I've seen US threads but none on Canada. Even thought of keeping her in upstate NY and keeping it insured "here" ... Its only 40 miles to the border!
brave.gif

Your best bet would be to post to a bike specific forum in Ontario, now after that obvious advice. All I can tell you is that I'm 45 with a clean driving record living in Cape Breton and I pay 341$ a year for public liability and public damage with no fire, theft or collision, to The Nordic Insurance Company of Canada. It pays to shop around.

good luck

cheers
ken

Thanks Ken ... I'm trying to post to Ontario ... found one site ... any suggestions? Thanks for the tip!! Nordic ... jeez ... I could ride ALL year in Fl!!!!!!

I live just north of Toronto and the best deal i found is with State Farm.I'm 49 and i'm paying 1900.00 CDN for FULL coverage.The first place i called wanted 8500.00!!!!!!!! I almost flipped!
Hope this helps.....

Canadian motorcycle Guide Online's Soapbox would be a good start.
There is a bunch of VERY knowledgeable industry types that post on the soapbox that have their fingers on the pulse of motorcycling in Canada. The forum at Cycle Canada Magazine would be a good spot as well for a heads up on insurance info.
The Soap Box at CMG can be a little grumpy and or sarcastic as they are a little older than the general Internet population but don't let that put you off as the boards bark is worse than it's bite!!
biggrin.gif

http://www.cmgonline.com/
http://www.cmgonline.com/cgi-bin/soapbox/index.cgi
http://www.cyclecanadamagazine.net/

cheers
ken

I'm from the Ottawa area as well.

My suggestion, go with State Farm.

They seem to be the only company that only cares about year & CCs ... don't really worry about the type of bike.

Even the dealer where I got my Hayabusa from suggested I go with State Farm.

I currently have house & car insurance with them & my recently purchased Busa is 91$/month for full coverage.

Good Luck ...
biggrin.gif

State Farm for me... 1136$/yr.. the only catch with them
is you have to have at least 1 car ... they won't just
do a bike...

MyBusaBY.jpg

I agree with the State Farm People...when I bought the new bike I paid $780.00 first year, $420.00 last year & this year it will be $350.00 (full coverage) Of course that's giving ST my house, car, truck & cruiser

Good luck with your search

Hello fellow canadians!, state farm is the best but they will only take u if your clean, right now i am 36 clean and pay $1300.00 with Premuim! they are pretty good, Canada life not bad either , jevco, riders plus, if u can get statefarm, go for it, but check out PREMUIM.
guns.gif

No canadian here, but I have been pricing around for full coverage. Progressive and Geico both were in the 950/yr range for full coverage on the '06. Gieco was actually a bit higher, so I stayed with prog. But only went for theft & liability. (1/3rd the cost of full) The way i see it, if I screw up, I deserve to pay for it out of pocket as punishment for my brain fart!

In Quebec, if you go live in the Gatineau area, I pay $1067 full covrage, the down side is the license plate is $320/year and they are planning to raise it at a small $1400/year over here but it's not done yet... so I'm really starting to think mooving to N-B...

STATE FARM

I DID BIKE ONLY!!! NOTHING ELSE !!

FULL COVERAGE!! $1700.
super.gif

(Varlo @ Apr. 05 2007,08:25) In Quebec, if you go live in the Gatineau area, I pay $1067 full covrage, the down side is the license plate is $320/year and they are planning to raise it at a small $1400/year over here but it's not done yet... so I'm really starting to think mooving to N-B...
320$/year for plates???

WoW ... that's crazy.

And they want to raise it to 1400$
rock.gif

That's even worse ... hopefully that wont go through ... wont be seeing too many bikes in PQ if that happens.

(kml @ Apr. 04 2007,20:24) Your best bet would be to post to a bike specific forum in Ontario, now after that obvious advice. All I can tell you is that I'm 45 with a clean driving record living in Cape Breton and I pay 341$ a year for public liability and public damage with no fire, theft or collision, to The Nordic Insurance Company of Canada. It pays to shop around.

good luck

cheers
ken
55 also in Cape Breton just under $300.00 from Island Insurance. There an independant agent so they get you the best deal. Thats for pl and pd also.

(SuzukiRider @ Apr. 05 2007,10:02)
(Varlo @ Apr. 05 2007,08:25) In Quebec, if you go live in the Gatineau area, I pay $1067 full covrage, the down side is the license plate is $320/year and they are planning to raise it at a small $1400/year over here but it's not done yet... so I'm really starting to think mooving to N-B...
320$/year for plates???

WoW ... that's crazy.

And they want to raise it to 1400$
rock.gif

That's even worse ... hopefully that wont go through ... wont be seeing too many bikes in PQ if that happens.
Well yes, they're on a all out war againts motocycles, mostly sports bikes, in Quebec...

D is wath we're paying now
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en....to.html

This is the plan they want for us,it's in french but look at the lMotocyclette de 401 cm3 et plus, sport grid, it meen Sports bike 401cc and up :
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/salle_p....8b.html

Deadeye.

Your story sounds familiar. I was stationed at Beale AFB, where I bought my 2005 Busa. I returned to Trenton last APS. I looked around but ended up going with The Cooperators. Just over $1000/ yr no collision. That includes good driver and multiple vehicle policy discounts. It wasn't that the Cooperators was such a great deal for the bike, but when all the policies were combined, the price suited me. There were cheaper quotes from other companies but they wanted a professionally installed alarm system. I believe the CANEX may provivde insurance as well. By the way, make sure you have a good read of the vehicle importation procedures that the CFSU provides with your posting package. If you have any questions, PM me. If you're coming from Tyndall, I'm guessing you're AC Op or AEC?
Good luck with your move
Regards,
Cougar

(rocket1 @ Apr. 05 2007,11:03)
(kml @ Apr. 04 2007,20:24) Your best bet would be to post to a bike specific forum in Ontario, now after that obvious advice. All I can tell you is that I'm 45 with a clean driving record living in Cape Breton and I pay 341$ a year for public liability and public damage with no fire, theft or collision, to The Nordic Insurance Company of Canada. It pays to shop around.

good luck

cheers
ken
55 also in Cape Breton just under $300.00 from Island Insurance. There an independant agent so they get you the best deal. Thats for pl and pd also.
Thanks! (shitty weather, eh?)

cheers
ken

Wow!! As usual this board is awesome. ... Thanks for all the replies - guess its cheap to insure on Cape Breton!!! Thanks to Cougar19 - not AEC ... actually a F-18 pilot - CO here at Tyndall ... will look into all options. I got quoted 2000 + and my wife's Ninja 650R was 800 ... full coverage. I will keep looking. Thanks again ... keep'em coming!!
super.gif

same here with state farm in durham area. full caverage $90 per month. nice to see fellow canadiane rider.

Back