Insurance in Ontario, Canada

Banshee807

Registered
Hey all, hopefully someone can help settle my nerves,

I recently moved from Alberta to Ontario and am in the process of switching my insurance.

I own 3 bikes a BMW Boxer, a DRZ, and the Busa, all told for 3 bikes in Alberta insurance costs were about $1500 a year with pretty basic coverage. Now in moving to Ontario I was told insurance was a bit more expensive but in looking into it, just for the Busa alone im getting quotes for $4000+ a year for barely legal coverage, this from reportedly bike-friendly companies (I've called about a dozen now.) Am I missing something???? Quite frankly I'm considering riding without insurance or quit riding (neither option seems reasonable) as i can't afford a 10X increase in cost for insuring 1 bike never mind the other 2.

Can anybody shed some light on this? This seems so unreasonable I just can't believe it.

BTW incase your wondering I'm 28 yrs old and have been riding street for 10 years, zero accidents/tickets, and live in a small town 10,000 ppl

Tried State Farm, $4400 for minimum coverage, also tried Allstate, co-operators, Kingsways, Ridersplus, The Personal, and a few of the major banks insurance numbers, all with similar results.

First suggestion is to move back to Alberta. :whistle:
(I lived in Ottawa and Toronto for some time, now in Alberta :thumbsup:)
Second suggestion: sell the bikes to a buddy in Alberta, put Alberta plates on them and insurance, and let him "lend" you the bikes. Problem solved.
The plate and insurance will be good in Ontario.
Riding without insurance, or quiting riding is not an option IMO.

cost me about 180 dollers for mine. just thinking, because if i went to usa then i would have to get a deal for ins . not likely to happen any time soon. that's 180 a year.

Last edited:
do you have other policies with State Farm? they drop their prices dramatically if you have multiple policies :beerchug:

Statefarm is only low if you have your home, auto and life insurance with them, but I hear that they're raising their rates for 2009

Jevco is a Quebec company that seems to have reasonable rates.

I'm with Primmum, and pay $1900/year on the Busa alone. That was the LOWEST rate I could find ($1000 deductible, $1,000,000 liability, standard accident benefits and theft/fire -- no collision or upset). It does pay to shop around. Try getting an insurance broker. Try looking up the insurance forum at gtamotorcycle.com

BTW, if an insurance company is quoting you $4000, it's basically a "go F**K yourself" quote. JD Smith quoted me $6000. Insurance in ontario sucks big time. It's legalized highway robbery. $1500 for 3 bike in Alberta?! That's pretty sweet.

Yeah, Ontario's an expensive place to live in Canada. it sucks. big.

Hey all thanks for the responses, got a little more info today, tried phoning the various compaines reccomended here, State Farm women is gonna get back to me but Primum and some of the other compaines still gave me huge quotes. I asked how other ppl had lower quotes according to this thread and was told that recently insurance companies take into account not only indiviual risk but group risk as well, translation is that they only want to have a limited number of bike accounts and are at that limit now. So basically they don't want to commit to any more bike business. Now it's by goverment mandate that I have insurance but here's the kicker, I was told that in actuallity my insurance is only about $800 and the additional cost is from a company surcharge of 300-500%. WTF is that, legal BS if you ask me, to say you provide a service of insurance required by the government and then throw in ridiculous "surcharges" so underhanded it blows my mind. I honestly can't believe this isn't a bigger deal in Ontario, in speaking with local dealers, apparently many have shut down or reduced in size due to customer reactions and insurance making bikes unaffordable for ppl.

Anyways, didn't mean to rant but thanks for letting me vent, I'm off to call a few more thieves. :beerchug:

I am with state farm, and it is $109/month for full coverage on the Bus.
I want to switch soon though, because with my car and house policies, I can get the same coverage for all 3 vehicles for about $40 less a month through primmum.

Definately tell them, you are also insuring your car/house when you ask for a quote.

I am with state farm, and it is $109/month for full coverage on the Bus.
I want to switch soon though, because with my car and house policies, I can get the same coverage for all 3 vehicles for about $40 less a month through primmum.

Definately tell them, you are also insuring your car/house when you ask for a quote.

Banshee, tag on with his policy?.
You have been put on the FACILITY with those ridiculous rates.
That is a Government mandated insurance for all those who are high risk - Drunk, lots of tickets, suspensions, disability etc. They have to give you insurance, but they can name their price.
I am with State Farm and $600 all inclusive, lowest deductable.

Back