Can I lift the bike from the rear subframe?

DNGrumpy

Sometimes Dopey fits too
Donating Member
Registered
I have not bought "Sportbike" stands yet and want to install my lowering links. I'm not even sure If I took everything apart I could use my regular motorcycle lift. Can I safely lift/suspend the rear of the bike by any part of the exposed framework under the rear cowl without damaging anything. I have a chainfall in the rafters of my garage that I've used to lift engines before. I figured some soft straps and then hook the chain onto there. I just need to get the rear tire off the ground enough to free the suspension and maybe run the bike a bit, she has not been run since before Thanksgiving...

Run a heavy loading strap or chain thru the subframe under the rear seat. It's obvious where to attach it on the bike, near the latch assembly, run the other end over a rafter in your garage. Just make sure that the roof beam can handle the weight. It's a good idea to have a buddy hold the front steady, if it gets away from you, you won't be able to catch it by yourself. Prolly not an "authorized" technique, but I've done it that way a bunch of times with no problems.

I was gonna strap the front into a chock. I've had 1200ish lbs. on the chainfall before. I have the chainfall centered on an 8' 6x6 over like 5 of the rafters to spread the weight...

I was more concerned about the subframe than the garage =)

Subframe wil be fine, and chocking the front is a good idea. I have a 00 which has the aluminum subframe, (the one that was replaced with steel in later years due to failure issues) and I've had no issues. I still suggest having a buddy help ya though...

That's how I did mine, no problems. Swingarm stand won't do you much good, you have to take the load off of the swingarm anyway.

Thanx, got no buddies for this one. I took next Friday off and want to get some things done. I'll be careful or at least kill myself in the garage where I'll die happy amongst my crap with a spilled beer at my side...

I used to hold the rear of my bike up with straps attached to the floor joists above as I was replacing the rear shock and or working with the swingarm. Should be any damamge by lifting from the subframe.

laugh.gif
@ death scene

Cant remember who (board member) suggested it on here but a piece of 5/8" steel rod (3 foot section wrap it with electrical tape) fits through the swigarm pivot nicely. put a jack stand under one end of it and CAREFULLY jack it up with a regular old floor jack. Works great and real stable. Bike is completely supported by the swingarm pivot. Under $10 at Lowes.

Grab rail bolts down to the frame. I always use the grab rail to pick up the back end of the bike when i need to park it close to the wall. Makesit very easy to walk around behind it pick it up and slide it over, works great for tight trailer towing as well.
smile.gif

all i can think about is the subframe taking a dump and collapsing....yikes...its strong enough to handle all that weight? I've used my grab rail for a tie down strap during towing but not to hang it from the air!

Here's a solid alternative...if you have jack stands and a small floor jack...and a 3' length of 5/8ths steel rod...(available at most hardware stores for just a few bucks)....

HRS2.jpg

without a rear stand a second persons momentary assistance would be necessary to balance the bike while you jack-up the rear then just slide the 5/8ths round steel bar through the wsingarm pivot bolt then cradle it in the jackstands...and now if you remove the fairing?...you can gently jack up the front with the floor jack using a short length of 2X4 betwen the jack and the headers...right at the tangent point where the curve of the headpipes begins to head straight back into the X collector...as that's where they are the strongest and provided your gentle about it won't tweak, dent or bend the headpipes.

It's how I got both wheels off my busa...at the same time...without any custom stands.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back