Calling gun guys (or gals?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. That's the stuff I'm looking for.

Safety is king, and I appreciate everyone weighing in. It's amazing what some people do not know. But my main concern was if this "fun" addition would interfere with this weapon being a bump in the night sidearm.

I think some night sights will be the fix. The only thing I'm trying to improve is range fun and practice. The g19 is no doubt a stout house gun as is. The rear u shaped sight is great for fast target picture. But if you line up some longer shots it can be more difficult. I know practice practice practice, but improvements can be nice too.

StrtRac3r - Has your wife handled the G19 yet? The reason I ask is because many women don't have the hand strength to manipulate a modern semi-auto. Or they just aren't comfortable with it. My sister can barely rack the slide on any of my Glocks - not something I'd want her struggling to do in a B&E situation. But she handles my wheelguns very well. Revolvers are more simple, less intimidating to the inexperienced shooter, and easier to manipulate. Just a thought. If you wife struggles with the Glock, have her try a snubnose .38. Something like a Smith & wesson model 637.

I love revolvers, she doesn't feel em. She tried out quite a few. The sig 2022, m&j shield, g17, g23, g19, one of the sub compact xd, she really liked the action and feel of the 19. I made her go with me to feel em out the instant she said she was interested. I wasn't gonna miss the opportunity to bring her out shooting more lol.

While I wouldn't say this of any other pistol on the market, with the glock being double action only you can leave one in the chamber if she has an issue racking. If your not a fan of under barrel lasers there are grip lasers that activate when you grasp the grip. Saves having to fumble with it and turn it on in the dark.

As a former prison emergency response team member, the gun that your holding and the sights that are on it don't make a difference, its how much muscle memory you have with that weapon. Went up against a springfield xd 45 (very nice handgun) with a remmington pump, im glad he had good aim because we were in a mobile home and he could have easily shot me through the wall. He went to reload and one of my team members grabbed him from behind. He was behind a table and i didnt know if he was the only one behind it so i couldn't shoot through it. When you get scared or nervous you going to go with what you know, if you are familiar with your weapon your probably going to be in good shape.

I bought my gf a revolver for the simple fact that she DOES NOT go to the range regularly. She has her CCW permit and knows how to use it. After we talked we decided that she didn't want to have to remember if there was a round chambered and all the things that can go into having to quickly fire an automatic. Point and shoot.

While I wouldn't say this of any other pistol on the market, with the glock being double action only you can leave one in the chamber if she has an issue racking.

The Glock is not actually Double Action Only. It is a striker-fired firearm. If it was double action or double action only, you could repeatedly dry-fire the firearm on an empty chamber. Glock, Smith and Wesson M&P series, Springfield XD series are the most popular but there are several manufacturers that make striker fired handguns. Kahr, Walther, HK, Ruger, and now Sig have stiker fire offering.

Almost any modern day firearm would be safe to carry with a round in the chamber even (as scary as it looks) a 1911 carried cocked and locked. Although I would not recommend it for other reasons) Honestly, I would not ever carry a weapon with an empty chamber and believe you will find a consensus of the same among firearm training experts.

I love revolvers, she doesn't feel em. She tried out quite a few. The sig 2022, m&j shield, g17, g23, g19, one of the sub compact xd, she really liked the action and feel of the 19. I made her go with me to feel em out the instant she said she was interested. I wasn't gonna miss the opportunity to bring her out shooting more lol.

Have her check out a M&P full size or compact instead of the Shield. Both will have a better feel for most people than the single stack magazine, thinner Shield. They also offer all 3 with various safety options, and I prefer mine with no external safety. My Shield was one of the earlier ones with an external safety that I plan on replacing. The FS and Compact have changeable grip backstrap also. To a new shooter, I recommend staying with the Full Size versions instead of the compact versions. Longer site radius, slightly heavier to adsorb the recoil, and they fully support all 4 fingers.

Here are some photos to compare the various M&P sizes. A Pro Series Full Size, Full Size, Compact, and Shield. The Shield is compared to the Compact in the other two pictures.

2013-12-06 08.30.43.jpg

2013-12-06 08.32.06.jpg

2013-12-06 08.32.33.jpg

Last edited:
Have her check out a M&P full size or compact instead of the Shield. Both will have a better feel for most people than the single stack magazine, thinner Shield. They also offer all 3 with various safety options, and I prefer mine with no external safety. My Shield was one of the earlier ones with an external safety that I plan on replacing. The FS and Compact have changeable grip backstrap also. To a new shooter, I recommend staying with the Full Size versions instead of the compact versions. Longer site radius, slightly heavier to adsorb the recoil, and they fully support all 4 fingers.

Here are some photos to compare the various M&P sizes. A Pro Series Full Size, Full Size, Compact, and Shield. The Shield is compared to the Compact in the other two pictures.

So do you have more then those 4 M&P guns?

I'm confused (it happens) the Gun in the upper left (of pic #1) looks like it's the Shield with the safety.
Then in the next picture is the Shield with the safety BUT it shows the rail on the bottom under the barrel where as in the first image it's missing that. ???

I'm confused (it happens) the Gun in the upper left (of pic #1) looks like it's the Shield with the safety.
Then in the next picture is the Shield with the safety BUT it shows the rail on the bottom under the barrel where as in the first image it's missing that. ???
What you're seeing in that pic is the Shield sitting over top of the M&P compact model.

Nice collection, Professor. My girlfriend and I just picked up our first M&P's two weeks ago. I bought myself a full size 9mm and I got her a Shield in 9mm. I'm a Glock guy myself, but I do really like the M&P line. Both guns run great and we're very happy with them so far. I'm also in the market for a single-stack 9mm, so if the new Glock 43 doesn't rock my socks, I'll be picking up a Shield for myself as well.

I like Glocks, but for some reason they don't have a natural point for me. I made the transition from my 226-228 Sigs to the M&Ps a few years ago and they are now my primary ones. I've got Apex triggers to drop in the Shield and compact if I ever get time to do it. I love the trigger on the Pro Series and I've dry fired a couple with Apex triggers that seemed better. If it is that much better than the Pro trigger, it may get swapped also.

Probably not the right place to say this but what the hell, you guys and gals are lucky your country gives you the right to protect yourselves. In Canada if someone broke into my house and I used one of my pistols to protect my family and property I would end up in jail and the person that broke in would get off scott free. Handguns here are range use only and rifles are for hunting and range use! And just a heads up if anyone is planning a trip across the border into Canada leave your handguns at home as you don't need the hassle at the border crossings!

Probably not the right place to say this but what the hell, you guys and gals are lucky your country gives you the right to protect yourselves. In Canada if someone broke into my house and I used one of my pistols to protect my family and property I would end up in jail and the person that broke in would get off scott free. Handguns here are range use only and rifles are for hunting and range use! And just a heads up if anyone is planning a trip across the border into Canada leave your handguns at home as you don't need the hassle at the border crossings!

It is a right we value very much and unfortunately have to fight to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back