buying 2011 S1000RR, any advice from owners?

Cough BS.. Sorry had to call ya out on this one... Ref to Pic before this One...

I Got a 2011, OTD 17k BMW finance 4.99%

P1050859.jpg

Cough BS.. Sorry had to call ya out on this one... Ref to Pic before this One...

I Got a 2011, OTD 17k BMW finance 4.99%

You miss understood my point about my post. His bike was all stock and mine isnt. I was impressed with it stock and how it performed with a heavier rider. Most bmw's are low to mid 170's rwhp stock. Mine makes 171 with all my mods. I am 175lbs to a 225lb rider on the bmw. My bike is geared to rev quicker too with the -1 front tooth sprocket. Also rider skill has a factor to do with it too. Even when drag racing down the straight. I had a control rider named Dennis Flowers who rides for nesba even comment on my 09's performance to his 08 gsxr 1000. I wasnt killing the field but was running well enough that he considered bumping me to the advance group. This was after the last session of the day when we got achance to ride together. Call BS all you want, you were not there, and I was just posting my experience with only one bmw that I came across. To many things were a factor, and I pointed them out. Still the bmw is the top dog until the new zx10 knocks it off, if it can.

You miss understood my point about my post. His bike was all stock and mine isnt. I was impressed with it stock and how it performed with a heavier rider. Most bmw's are low to mid 170's rwhp stock. Mine makes 171 with all my mods. I am 175lbs to a 225lb rider on the bmw. My bike is geared to rev quicker too with the -1 front tooth sprocket. Also rider skill has a factor to do with it too. Even when drag racing down the straight. I had a control rider named Dennis Flowers who rides for nesba even comment on my 09's performance to his 08 gsxr 1000. I wasnt killing the field but was running well enough that he considered bumping me to the advance group. This was after the last session of the day when we got achance to ride together. Call BS all you want, you were not there, and I was just posting my experience with only one bmw that I came across. To many things were a factor, and I pointed them out. Still the bmw is the top dog until the new zx10 knocks it off, if it can.

There are a lot of very fast, modified bikes out on the streets and the track. Spending $17,500.00 on a BMW doesn't guarantee you will beat everything out there horsepower wise. I used to know people that had double the horsepower of a stock S1000r and that was a few years back. Who knows whats running around out there now.

I was talking about the Crazy OLD SCHOOL BMW Pic with the Mods to it, and the Spring Seat :laugh:, Not your post sorry for confusing..

You know you can up shift without shift assist. Also the BMW is an great bike but 17K plus for a bike. Just a little to expense for my taste.

LOL Warbird, I was not commenting on ur post, But YEs You are correct and I have seen MANY of Modded 750 GSXR smoke the crap out of brand spanking new 1000... Street, track and Drag..

LOL Warbird, I was not commenting on ur post, But YEs You are correct and I have seen MANY of Modded 750 GSXR smoke the crap out of brand spanking new 1000... Street, track and Drag..

Sorry Loomis, if I miss understood your post! I wasnt sure who your comment was directed too! I assumed it was to my post. Again, I am sorry I thought wrong. Anyway the white bmw you have in its bmw racing colors is awesome! I seen one a few times running around here... Nice looking bike for sure! The all black is sweet too! Still want to ride one! I sat on the new zx10, I wasnt feeling it. Every thing is low and wide. Mirrors where even in a weird location. Lower then the clip ons! Just wierd! I cant wait to see what updates come from bmw for the s1000 for 2012! This class keeps moving the bar up for us average riders to master! Still a lot of bike to grow into and master, the electronics just make it a lot safer and easier to get there!

Wasnt crazy about the front end (light configuration) but took a test ride and traded my 06 screaming eagle in for it. Even money,came fully loaded,besides the harley just sat there collecting dust .Never looked back.its everything they claimed.PLUS.

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

Last edited:
The new bmw s1k is a nice bike! I would love the chance to ride one. I did ride on the track with one at VIR in october. For a stock bike it is quick and have respect for the bar it set. It was strong on the topend like my 09 1k. We were both running down 07/08 gsxr 1k's off corners and down the long straights. When we finally matched up, I was able to pull him off turn 11 on to the straight away north course and the south course after the oak tree turn. No draft pass either! It wasnt a run away... Just a brisk walking by. For what it is stock:thumbsup: But part may be rider and bike combo! My 09 has full m4 exhaust, ecm tuner, and -1 front tooth, which all may have been a factor. He came over to ask if I had cams in it as well as others on the gixxers. He said he was running with other 09 gsxr 1ks, and they werent as strong as my bike seemed to be. The new zx10 set up like my 09 is similiarly strong to a stock bmw s1000. But for the money OTD and full of options, you cant go wrong wih your purchase!

Good evaluation and spot on Tim. We have several of these Beamers that frequent out local tracks and while they are impressive they are no faster around the track than the gixxers or R1's. My 07 Gixxer is bone stock except for gearing and M4 exhaust. While I cannot power past the BMW they don't pull away from me more than 3-4 bike lengths on a 3/4 mile straight either.

If you think you are going to improve your lap times over a less expensive GIXXER it simply will not happen. All our track records have been dominated by the mighty GIXXER until recently when the R1 took the spot. One of our fastest who held the track record on a GIXXER for a while raced the BMW this past season and never won a race as far as I know. RWHP is a solid 200. He is still running up front but can't seem to achieve the lap times he did on his GIXXER.

Another point I'd like to make is concerning the ABS and TC. Don't get it into your head you can trailbrake all the way to the apex and the ABS will replace proper skill. You WILL bust your a$$. Over braking while leaned over will still overwhelm your front tire. Same with TC. The Beamer does not have Casey Stoner's $100K traction control. Your TC Beamer will put you on your head in a heartbeat if you show no throttle restraint while leaned over.

I am not the least bit surprised to see Tim's GIXXER out pull the BEAMER on corner exits. And this is why, TC. Every big bike spins the tire to a certain degree on corner exits. They all do. With the OEM street version TC on the Beamer it trys to keep the rear from spinning at all and as the bike comes up on the meaty part of the tire and HP is added the beamer trims the power to eliminate spin thus reduces corner drive. To the rider the bike is still pulling hard and they can't feel the power reduction, but it's there. TC that you and I can afford cannot compete with the well schooled throttle hand on corner exits.

From all who have had the pleasure of romping the new BMW, this is a great bike with some really sweet bells and whistles but it won't make you any quicker than the Beamer without the fancy goodies and as your skills develope it may even make you slower. Where I see the ABS & TC earning it's keep is on wet streets. There will certainly be fewer crashes in the rain.

This new BMW, GREAT BIKE! Just don't let your confidence overwhelm your skill by thinking these new gadgets will solve all the pit falls of the learning curve. :beerchug:

The track comes down to the rider, not the bike.

You could get Shane (Macon) on a old ass 600 and he would kill me, this I truly understand, but here in flat land Iowa were straight roads are plentiful, pull up next to me on something stock for stock and it's game over. I am a acceleration guy, love blasting to 120 or so and do roll ons, to me that's a blast.

On a side note I will be doing my first track day ever this year in September, BMW is paying for it:thumbsup:

The track comes down to the rider, not the bike.

pull up next to me on something stock for stock and it's game over. I am a acceleration guy, love blasting to 120 or so and do roll ons, to me that's a blast.

On a side note I will be doing my first track day ever this year in September, BMW is paying for it:thumbsup:

Old women in walkers can twist the throttle against the stop and hang on! :laugh:

I'm happy to see you are doing a track day. You will have fun and learn much! :thumbsup:

The "far east" bike builders are not going to just let the BMW and Euro Bikes walk away with their market share. This is their playpen and I Guarantee the next generations bikes coming out of this financial downturn are going to place them squarely at the front of the pack. The Japanese invented this segment and I believe they will have answers for all these really cool, fast and tricked out super sport RR machines. Like tuf said your probably pay'in an extra 5 to 6 k for the BMW and it won't guarantee you anything except that you have the cutting edge cool bike. I think Honda's Goldwing better beware of the BMW k1600 6 banger. Seems like this tourer is more inline cost wise with the wing and will probably be able to better compete for market share. Anyway, I think the S 1000r is an awesome bike and anyone should be pleased that they have one in their garage! Just think it's going to be challenged for dominance in the RR segment at a significant discount.:beerchug:

The "far east" bike builders are not going to just let the BMW and Euro Bikes walk away with their market share.

Fall of 2011 watch for the new 2012 Suzuki liter bike - it will be interesting to watch it all unfold over the summer, as the hype builds .:beerchug:

Back