S1000RR:know any problems with 2010 vs 2011

PIC :oldcool:

bikepics-2235133-800.jpg

Heres the thing about the bmw, nobody see's the headlights, just the taillights:laugh:

They have a 3 year warranty axle to axle with 3 year roadside assistance, stop worrying about the bike and buy one.

I just sold mine after 6000 miles, great bike but looking for something different

LOL +1000 ask Lycan...

I spent several hours searching posts on s1000rr forums. The posts are often confusing or contradictory.

I posted the following and so far not much more has been added:

A summary of my searching so far would be:

RE: Crank

It's likely that a heavier crank was installed in motors built after June 2010. The most specific post was "Bikes built up to June 20, 2010 used the old crank with part number 11217713692. After 6/20/2010 the part number became 11217719625"

This MAY have been done because BMW wanted a heavier crank for racing and that therefore the heavier crank had to be installed in production bikes for homologation.

However, I didn't find posts about many pre-July 2010 motors that suffered crank failures. So I'm not convinced the heavier crank is a significant improvement for non-race bikes.

RE: Cams

It seems likely there have been several engine failures (not caused by abuse) when valve stems broke and/or cam lobes flattened.

There MAY have been changes in the cams and/or oiling passages in the engine housing.

However, at least one post said there were no part number changes for these parts. This makes no sense. When a manufacturer perceives a problem and makes changes to the part to solve the problem, they change the part number. That way, they re-order only the improved part. And only the improved part is spec'd for installation -- not left-over new parts of the old design.

It’s to be expected that some motors will fail in any automotive/motorcycle production. Occasional failure is even more likely in a motor that exceeds the performance limits of the best motors the best manufacturers have made before. There will always be some parts out of tolerance or with defects. The only way around this is the very expensive tolerances and inspections of aircraft motor parts; that would raise the retail price higher than any of us would pay.

For now, in searching the posts, I haven’t seen evidence of an unexpectedly large number of cam or crank failures in 2010 models. And I don’t know of any significant (to reliability) factory improvements to the S1000RR so far.

But I’m sure much is not yet known about this and any further info is valuable.

new note:

These things appear to hold their value pretty well. Unless I could find one at least $3,500 less than new, I'd go with new because of greater resale value (1 year newer) and the full 3 years of warranty.

But thanks for the note about the $600 first service. I'll ask the price of the yearly service.

The Kawi liter bike beats the BMW at its own game...not as expensive...cheeper to maintain...sexier...and that works for me...By a used race bike with all of the goodies on it and pay half of what they are asking for a new bike

My 600 mile service was 225 OTD and next service is not do until 6500 miles. Not sure of the cost on that. I had them replace a set of tires that I purchased the mounting was 90 OTD. So I would stay thats about what you are going to pay anywhere at a motorcycle dealer. Its hard to beat the factory warr from BMW also 3 yrs 36,000 miles and free roadside if bike breaks down.

Back