Need Advice - Could Be A New Owner

Firstbusa

Registered
Hello! I have been thinking to buy a Hayabusa for sometime. But, I am not sure if I can fit on it or not. That's why I turned to the forum for answers. Little background about me. I have been riding since I was 16 or so. Started of on little 100-250CC bikes. Later in 2010 got a 2003 Suzuki SV650s and rode it for couple year and it was totaled in a crash. Then, I moved to 2002 Suzuki GSXR-1000 immediately after. Had it for 5 years until last month. I sold my GSXR thinking I am done with bikes but a month later I miss riding too much. So, I am planning check Hayabusa of my list.

The problem here is I am 5ft 5inches and 160 lbs. So, I am not sure if I would even fit the bike. If I fit would it look odd me riding a big motorcycle (Like a mouse on an elephant). Instead of getting my hopes real high, I would like to get advice from you all here.

All suggestions are welcome!! Thanks again!!

I believe the reach is similar to the 1000. A bit heavier with more plastics. How did thae gixxer feel?
Most dealers have some in stock. Go have a sit.
Troy

I was very comfortable on the other bike. I was planning on doing that. But, I thought because the bike's suspension is adjustable. I can get more information here.

Nobody looks bad on a Busa. Don't worry about that. I have a 06 GSXR 1000 and a 04 Busa. These bikes look similar at a glance. But are brothers from different mothers. The Busa is a bit wider, a bit higher, and a hundred pounds heavier then my Gixxer. I love em both. But they are very different bikes... Both mine are lowered a couple inches. That made them more comfortable for me.
If you're looking at new ones. Maybe go to a dealer and just sit on one. See how it feels. Same goes if you're thinking about getting a Gen1 Busa. A dealer may have a used one. Or maybe you have a friend with a Gen1. I would say if you're able to move the bike around a garage or showroom without any problem. You'll be comfortable riding it. I have an old Harley too. It's 50 pounds heavier then the Busa. But for me anyway it takes more effort to move the Busa around in the garage then the Harley.
I can say this for sure. If you do end up getting a Busa. It will make you Smile. And wonder why you waited so long to get one...

I am definitely looking at a Gen1 at moment and no friends who own them. So i think i will have to make a trip to a dealership. When you say move around, Did you mean moving sitting on it? That I was not able to do on my GSXR1000 too. :'(
I have to get off the bike to move it push is back in parking spot. I usually try to be little smart while parking to make sure it is easy for me pull away. Only thing made me wait is doubt my physical ability.

I've had a Gen1 for 14 years now, it's been lowered and has a cut seat. Both together are honestly too much if you're not used to it, but I am. I only really needed one or the other done to flat foot the bike.

It's a lot of sport bike to haul in tight twisties for longer periods of time, and I didn't realize just how heavy my Busa is until I hopped on a friend's BMW, but I love it and 14 years in, can't imagine not having it. I'm 5"6', 142 lbs...

1514764.jpg

First things first.. you look amazing on the you bike.
What you said in your post gives me hope. So did you lower your bike on the lowest suspension setting?

I've had a Gen1 for 14 years now, it's been lowered and has a cut seat. Both together are honestly too much if you're not used to it, but I am. I only really needed one or the other done to flat foot the bike.

It's a lot of sport bike to haul in tight twisties for longer periods of time, and I didn't realize just how heavy my Busa is until I hopped on a friend's BMW, but I love it and 14 years in, can't imagine not having it. I'm 5"6', 142 lbs...

View attachment 1576819

First things first.. you look amazing on the you bike.
What you said in your post gives me hope. So did you lower your bike on the lowest suspension setting?

It's all the bike :thumbsup:

I had a Ducati shop lower it years ago; they said they'd lowered it 2" in the front, 2" in the rear, but we believe it's only lowered about 1 - 1.25" in the front and 2" in the rear. Here's a pic of the cut seat too. Most would never need both, and in retrospect I may have just opted to have the seat cut. That alone made quite a difference.

caesar.jpg

It's all the bike :thumbsup:

I had a Ducati shop lower it years ago; they said they'd lowered it 2" in the front, 2" in the rear, but we believe it's only lowered about 1 - 1.25" in the front and 2" in the rear. Here's a pic of the cut seat too. Most would never need both, and in retrospect I may have just opted to have the seat cut. That alone made quite a difference.

View attachment 1576820

Beautiful bike! Sorry about too many questions. But, If you lower the bike Center of Gravity is lowered too. Did that impact the way it handles corners?

Beautiful bike! Sorry about too many questions. But, If you lower the bike Center of Gravity is lowered too. Did that impact the way it handles corners?

I'm honestly so used to it, I don't know the difference. I just asked my fiance and he said he hasn't taken it through the twisties to see how different it is from his.

I just know I'm comfy on it and can take it anywhere.

Ask all the questions you need to. Where are you located?

I'm honestly so used to it, I don't know the difference. I just asked my fiance and he said he hasn't taken it through the twisties to see how different it is from his.

I just know I'm comfy on it and can take it anywhere.

Ask all the questions you need to. Where are you located?

Thank you again!! Even though it is lowered I think I will be riding it mostly for commute. So, I do not have to worry about twisties much. I am located in Phoenix, AZ. :)

I am definitely looking at a Gen1 at moment and no friends who own them. So i think i will have to make a trip to a dealership. When you say move around, Did you mean moving sitting on it? That I was not able to do on my GSXR1000 too. :'(
I have to get off the bike to move it push is back in parking spot. I usually try to be little smart while parking to make sure it is easy for me pull away. Only thing made me wait is doubt my physical ability.

Yes, I did mean sitting on it. I'm late 60's and to be honest I am not comfortable anymore walking beside the Harley or the Busa. I know if I'm sitting on it I won't have a problem. The Gixxer is a different story. It's a light weight and most of the time I will stand in front of it and move it around that way. Also helpful to see where I'm going. The Gixxer is dedicated to the drag strip. Has a wheelie bar on it. Easy to hit things with that. Much better view from the front.

Thank you again!! Even though it is lowered I think I will be riding it mostly for commute. So, I do not have to worry about twisties much. I am located in Phoenix, AZ. :)

Ahhh, little far away...I was gonna let you sit on mine if you were nearby.

View attachment 1576819
What a Great picture !

Yes, I did mean sitting on it. I'm late 60's and to be honest I am not comfortable anymore walking beside the Harley or the Busa. I know if I'm sitting on it I won't have a problem. The Gixxer is a different story. It's a light weight and most of the time I will stand in front of it and move it around that way. Also helpful to see where I'm going. The Gixxer is dedicated to the drag strip. Has a wheelie bar on it. Easy to hit things with that. Much better view from the front.

That is not happening. :) I tip-toped on GSXR 1000. But, I am very comfortable managing bike weight on one leg. One thing I know is that Gen1 Hayabusa is 1 inch lower than 2002 GSXR 1000.

Back