Business help

ThunderJohn

Registered
Ok need some .org help here. My wife got out of the Navy and due to her foot she cannot pursue her former career anymore. She looked around for some kind of admin assistant in a doctors office because it was the closest thing to what she was doing. So in the mean time she had taken a job with a maid service. She likes it and it pays better than an office assistants around here. Well in the mean time she has had several offers to come over and do this as well as people where we live want to know if she will do their places. So now she is considering starting her own business doing this. I think it is a good idea and support her 100%. I just want to make sure we are going about it the right way.

I need the help with the whole owning your own business thing. Does anyone own their own business? Preferably NC or VA. If so I would love to pick your brain on some things. It would be killer if someone on here owned one of these businesses.

Also we need a good catchy name. A name that is now already trademarked. I had never thought about it then I can up with one did a search and there were about 10k with the same name.

Well I am open for any help/suggestions I can get. I told her I could reach out to the .org they always come through.

Thanks all
John

"Have Mop with Travel".

O.C.C = "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners"

"Got Dirt?" Then you could have an online store... GotDirt.Com

Of course company names beginning with A get top of the page in the phone book.

"All Washed Up"

"I DO Windows"

You could capitalize on her name if it works:

Kims Kleaners Judy the Janitor Mary Maid

Those took about 20 seconds,imagine if I really thought about it.
laugh.gif

Also,there are tons of bid'ness owners on here. Good luck with it.
thumb_up.gif

RSD.

Great that she's going to give it a go, and that you support her!  

I don't own my own business, but once you decide where you want to start the business, the best advice I can give is to hire a lawyer to incorporate the business.  It shouldn't cost more than $500.00, and the lawyer can also give you advice on what she'll need to do to keep up the corporate "formalities."  By incorporating, she'll have legal protections that she wouldn't get as a sole proprietorship.  And she'll "own" the name.

You can check corporate name availabilty in your chosen state by going to each state's websites; you can also typically find useful information on starting a business by searching each state's official homepage on starting a business.  Virginia's is here:
Virginia Businesses, and SC's is here:
South Carolina Businesses

Also, don't forget that there may be local laws, rules, and regulations that she will need to comply with in starting a business.  That's where a lawyer can also help you, if you ask for the help.  And don't forget about insurance for the business; your broker or agent should be able to help.  Finally, the Service Corps of Retired Executives ("SCORE") SCORE offers free advice from retired corporate executives who will help you get started.  

Lots to think about, but I wish you and her good luck!

Thanks for the help this is starting to come along faster than what we thought. There is a huge interest in it around where we live.

We are thinking like princess cleaning "So Your Queen Doesn't Have To"

It is still a work in progress but I see it being online allot sooner than I thought.

"Have Mop with Travel".

O.C.C = "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners"

"Got Dirt?"  Then you could have an online store... GotDirt.Com

Of course company names beginning with A get top of the page in the phone book.

"All Washed Up"

"I DO Windows"

You could capitalize on her name if it works:

Kims Kleaners  Judy the Janitor  Mary Maid

Those took about 20 seconds,imagine if I really thought about it.
laugh.gif

Also,there are tons of bid'ness owners on here.  Good luck with it.
thumb_up.gif

RSD.
dayum RSD you're good

Since she's a vet, she should look into Chapter 31 Voc Rehab. Get a free education/training, plus get paid while learning.

Yeah looking into the Voc rehab. You get paid while training not allot though. She has been trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up.

RSD had some good ones we almost went with O.C.C

She wants a logo with a crown. We are trying to design it now. Maybe a maid with a crown on holding a broom or feather duster with her foot up behind her. I am trying to work it.

Also trying to build a website now. I have a domain now but the basic building template kind of sucks. It is very plain.

Back