busa crash

sad.gif

You know I read the tragic story and then I read all of the posts.
Some people just don't understand motorcycle's or the people who
ride them. Not all of us are out there doing burnouts, popping wheelies,
and riding reckless. Accidents happen and can happen to anyone anytime.
It's just unfortunate that this was his time. Lets all be extra carefull
while out there. R.I.P Eric, Prayers to your Family.......
Please watch over us......

sad.gif

(WWJD @ May 18 2007,11:47) This COULD BE anyone of us.

In skydiving, the forums post up the fatalities for review and as educational information.  It works great, and everyone learns from others mistakes.  Sometimes, but rarely "Equipment malfunction" causes death to a skydiver.

With bikes, MOST of the time, the accident is totally rider error.  KNOW WHERE YOU ARE RIDING.

[cripes!... here he goes preaching again....]

....That's why track days are so much safer.  You know the surface you are riding, and are in much more control of the things you ARE NOT in control of on the street.  You don't hit medians on a track, if you miss a turn there is a good chance you will stay upright due to the planned design of the run off area.  And if you do go down, it will be on equally planned section, much safer and a personal amulance and medic standing by.

Too costly?  Burns through tires?   seems expensive at first when you VOLENTARILY pay out $150  but how much is was that last unvolentarily paid speeding ticket... or 3.... or jail time... or spouse paranoia?

You dont have to buy a track bike.  you dont have to buy parts for your bike.  you dont have to gte a trailer and race tires and such.... just do a track day with what you got, don't compete, and enjoy LIFE, rather than a near death street experience.   I been going on my stock busa for 4 years now - I ride out the the track 3 hours away, stay in the closest cheapo hotel, eat slim jims and gatorade and have a freakin ball all day - mayube $250 bucks total with gas

The ROI is incredible!
I think I agree with you about the track days. However, there are a couple of things that makes it a problem....1. There aren't enough of them...at least here in Vegas there's only maybe four track day event's a year...what are you supposed to do the rest of the time? 2. Even though you don't have to deal with the normal road hazards like cagers, road conditions..etc....there are still other riders you have to deal with. Now that's likely not a problem for most ppl (myself included) but, what about the times when you just want to ride by yourself? (which I do from time to time).

(Saxoplay @ May 20 2007,07:16) I think I agree with you about the track days. However, there are a couple of things that makes it a problem....1. There aren't enough of them...at least here in Vegas there's only maybe four track day event's a year...what are you supposed to do the rest of the time? 2. Even though you don't have to deal with the normal road hazards like cagers, road conditions..etc....there are still other riders you have to deal with. Now that's likely not a problem for most ppl (myself included) but, what about the times when you just want to ride by yourself? (which I do from time to time).
Yeah, I know what you mean about track days being hard to do. Still, the best thing is to know what you are riding on. Know what is coming up and ride within your limits.

limits may be: be more cautious cuz I don't know what is coming up or how good the surface is.

I ride alone on many tracks days. When I hit a strait, I will take speed break and wave everyone past me, that way I know there is no one coming up from behind, while I am taking time to learn the line better or improve my riding technique. But, track riding also has many rules and etiquettes that require people to not ride like idiots. Everybody wants to get home in one piece

Very sad and even more so that so many offered up their ignorance in light of someone's death, even saying stuff like "one less idiot on the road"...

His family is in my thoughts; no rider ever deserves to die...we make the best of what time we have and all you can do is try to be safe and get back home after each and every ride...

RIP to the rider and best wishes for family & friends.

To contribute to the thoughtful post by WWJD, there are lessons to beneift from as the result of tragedy.
For me - I don't pretend to kid myself about the possibility of becoming a stastic whenever I ride. Nobody goes out looking for it, but it will find you eventually. Think of what you are sitting on: the worlds fastest production motorcycle. Suzuki has endorsed this bike and told me that it is suitable for street use.
BUT.........is it suitable for me with all of my faults? The manufacturer has left that to my decision and is not held liable for my indescretions. Don't know about everyone, but you give most people this kind of power and a license plate and they're going to use it. I do!
Granted there is a time and place. Sometimes you don't know you're at the wrong time and place until it's too late. Instantly in some folks mind, you go from experienced rider to some fool that had it coming. For me, it is simple: say your prayers before you ride knowing one day you may not come back. I would rather face my situation with a full understanding of where I am at as opposed to meeting it from the side.

Once again, my respects to the fallen rider.

Back