billy lane

zukracer is hatin' on Lane!

That last "dry" comment was hilarious!

Boy, I surely hope you guys aren’t sitting on a jury if I was to make a bad decision, mistake, error in judgment, bad choice, or however you want to put a spin on it. A totally and completely irreversible error in judgment for sure.

I have no problem with individuals voicing their opinion about a person, but when they don’t personally know the individual, it’s not fair to be judgmental.

I will speak for myself, and knowing there are millions of people just like me (The average working guy), who have put themselves in the same exact position as Mr. Lane was in. Fortunately, I did not get involved in a traffic crash where some one was killed or injured or damaged. I made it to my destination, and the next day said “What a stupid idiot I was for drivingâ€. But then again, I have done it after that time as well………….

I can honestly say since I have gotten older and matured (Maybe a little) I have made better choices in life, and one of them pertains to the drinking and driving issue.

The bottom line in my eyes, it could have happened to anyone who puts themselves in that situation. Unfortunately, it happened to Mr. Lane! Judgment day will come soon, and he will have to face the penalty our society feels necessary for taking someone else’s life while operating a motor vehicle impaired.

Matt

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 26 2006,15:48) Boy, I surely hope you guys aren’t sitting on a jury if I was to make a bad decision, mistake, error in judgment, bad choice, or however you want to put a spin on it.  A totally and completely irreversible error in judgment for sure.

I have no problem with individuals voicing their opinion about a person, but when they don’t personally know the individual, it’s not fair to be judgmental.

I will speak for myself, and knowing there are millions of people just like me (The average working guy), who have put themselves in the same exact position as Mr. Lane was in.  Fortunately, I did not get involved in a traffic crash where some one was killed or injured or damaged. I made it to my destination, and the next day said “What a stupid idiot I was for drivingâ€.  But then again, I have done it after that time as well………….  

I can honestly say since I have gotten older and matured (Maybe a little) I have made better choices in life, and one of them pertains to the drinking and driving issue.

The bottom line in my eyes, it could have happened to anyone who puts themselves in that situation.  Unfortunately, it happened to Mr. Lane! Judgment day will come soon, and he will have to face the penalty our society feels necessary for taking someone else’s life while operating a motor vehicle impaired.

Matt
Being the guy who drinks a LOT every night i dont agree with you at all.When you are buzzed you KNOW you are period.Secondly unless you live in a desert in the middle of nowhere you can ALWAYS call a friend,a cab or something to get you wherever you want to go.I saw paris hilton got popped and i was wondering that its not exactly hard for CELEBRITIES to have someone drive them somewhere.And billy lane sure can afford to pay taxi fare.YOU put yourself in the drivers seat because you CHOOSE to never because you have to because you can always find a ride,friend to drive you etc etc.

Umairhashmi,

I personally agree with you 100%.  There is always another option to getting home, other than driving after you have been drinking.

But, the only problem is, that decision is not made (To seek an alternative way home), and most drive themselves home or to where ever they are going, always thinking it can’t happen to me!

There is no question the choice is made by the individual, and unfortunately Mr. Lane made that choice, and like I said in my previous post, he will be held accountable for his actions in the court of law.  

Matt

This whole ordeal is senseless. He should be treated just like any other loser that drinks,drives and kills despite his celebrity status.

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 26 2006,15:48) Boy, I surely hope you guys aren’t sitting on a jury if I was to make a bad decision, mistake, error in judgment, bad choice, or however you want to put a spin on it.  A totally and completely irreversible error in judgment for sure.

I will speak for myself, and knowing there are millions of people just like me (The average working guy), who have put themselves in the same exact position as Mr. Lane was in.  Fortunately, I did not get involved in a traffic crash where some one was killed or injured or damaged. I made it to my destination, and the next day said “What a stupid idiot I was for drivingâ€.  But then again, I have done it after that time as well………….  

The bottom line in my eyes, it could have happened to anyone who puts themselves in that situation.  Unfortunately, it happened to Mr. Lane! Judgment day will come soon, and he will have to face the penalty our society feels necessary for taking someone else’s life while operating a motor vehicle impaired.

Matt
So you and a lot of other guys have been driving on a suspended license for a drunk driving in another state and have crossed a double yellow line and obviously didn't kill a guy in the other lane so you are cool with Lane's, poor judgement, etc............................
eek2.gif

Mikeo,

I am not at all cool with anyone’s decision to drive after they have been drinking, PERIOD ! I have personally never driven on a suspended driver license, and I don’t support anyone driving in the manner that would harm or kill anyone.

I’m sure you are not naïve enough to think that a large portion of this country has at one time or another put themselves in the same position Mr. Lane has (With out the final results of his disaster). I’m man enough to admit it on a public forum (That I have driven impaired before) By no means bragging, it’s really kind of embarrassing. I’m sure tons of folks have made this mistake in judgment. All I’m trying to say is, it happened, and it’s a tragedy for all people involved and indirectly involved as well.

Am I so sure that incarcerating someone for committing a crime like this would change things; I personally don’t think it would change a thing! But society will make a determination and if it’s decided that a prison sentence is due, so be it……………

No one is above the law no matter who they are, and I could not agree more, that Mr. Lane should be treated like anyone else who committed this type of crime, and his current celebrity status should not play a part in the penalty phase of his case.

Matt

The victim could have easily been one of us - or your son or daughter - or your brother or sister - or, well you get the point.

argue.gif

Ride_or_Fish,

I’m with you all the way, you are completely right, and boy would I be furious.

I pose this question:

Should an individual who commits a violation of right-a-way infraction, causing a traffic crash with a motorcycle, injuring or killing the operator of the motorcycle be liable for criminal charges?

I ask this because it happens all the time, and if the individual operating the vehicle who commits the infraction is not impaired, then here in Florida all he will receive is a traffic citation ($133.50) and if the crash resulted in a fatality, his/her driver license would be administratively suspended for one (1) year. But then they would be able to apply for a work permit to be able to drive to and from work. To me that’s CRAZY. They just killed someone, maybe by not paying attention, or by just pure stupidity, and basically not much happens to them.

Matt

MJB, I agree it's insane for the variations in punishment of traffic homocides. Alcohol definitely raises the liability for the person committing the act though. Regardless and without drugs or alcohol, I still believe that killing another with your vehicle should bring a serious life altering sentence. Unless there was some severe external contributing factor (heart attack, dense fog, etc.), then I believe the law needs to be tough.

It seems that too often we kill each other on the road and little more than citations are written. Not much recourse exists for the victims' families except for law suits in civil court and the offender can get a slap on the wrist if he has the ca$h to afford it. Our justice (read "just us"!) revolves around the $.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Lane will be well represented to say the least.

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 26 2006,17:50) Ride_or_Fish,

I’m with you all the way, you are completely right, and boy would I be furious.  

I pose this question:  

Should an individual who commits a violation of right-a-way infraction, causing a traffic crash with a motorcycle, injuring or killing the operator of the motorcycle be liable for criminal charges?

I ask this because it happens all the time, and if the individual operating the vehicle who commits the infraction is not impaired, then here in Florida all he will receive is a traffic citation ($133.50) and if the crash resulted in a fatality, his/her driver license would be administratively suspended for one (1) year.  But then they would be able to apply for a work permit to be able to drive to and from work.  To me that’s CRAZY.  They just killed someone, maybe by not paying attention, or by just pure stupidity, and basically not much happens to them.

Matt
it is crazy that nothing happens to these people,sometimes they do not even give them a citation.

Being that I have been in Law Enforcement for almost 20 years, I have always questioned why would someone pull a gun and shoot someone, knowing the penalty will be a lengthy prison sentence.

Then you see folks killed everyday in traffic crashes, and the penalty is very modest compared to a crime that is preformed with a firearm.

The bottom line is, a life is lost, and will never be brought back.  

Obviously when you take a firearm and point it at some one, discharge it, you intentional committed an act that any reasonable person would know, could kill an individual.  But, I guess driving an automobile and having a traffic crash, and killing someone, is more acceptable to society these days.  I will say this, being killed during a traffic crash, limits the fact that intent was used.  Not very many people intentional get in a car and intentional go out and try to kill someone, that’s why they are called accidents.  But when you are impaired and involved in a crash, it becomes criminal.

Matt

A lot of cops say if you plan on killing someone do it on the road with your vehicle.You have a MUCH better chance of getting away with it that way.

Boy, I surely hope you guys aren’t sitting on a jury if I was to make a bad decision, mistake, error in judgment, bad choice, or however you want to put a spin on it. A totally and completely irreversible error in judgment for sure.[/Quote]

I'm all for El Salvadors policy on drunk driving. First offense is your last...you're shot by a firing squad!

If that was the policy here the guy on the moped would be alive and his family wouldn't be going through agonizing grief.

There is a difference between having a couple of drinks and driving home, getting pulled over and given a DUI for a .1 BAC, and driving like an idiot when you know you are drunk. Most people have made poor decisions when it comes to drinking and driving, but you know when you have no business behind the wheel. Couple that with the fact that this is his second time getting caught, not to mention he killed a guy, and I have no pity for him.

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 26 2006,21:47) ... Then you see folks killed everyday in traffic crashes, and the penalty is very modest compared to a crime that is preformed with a firearm. ...
Speaking of traffic fatalities, alcohol, and minor penalties, another Florida story pretty well sums it up.

Stupid is as Stupid does.

'Not trying to hijack this thread, just show how common it is. In addition, yesterday's news had an article about a lady who turned herself in after she supposedly struck a student with her car the other morning while the student was waiting for the school bus. She claims she thought she hit a mailbox - unbelievable.

Honestly I'm disgusted here, billy had so many warnings.

I hope he learns a lesson from this mans death.

(mjb1206 @ Sep. 26 2006,17:21) Mikeo,

I am not at all cool with anyone’s decision to drive after they have been drinking, PERIOD !  I have personally never driven on a suspended driver license, and I don’t support anyone driving in the manner that would harm or kill anyone.

I’m sure you are not naïve enough to think that a large portion of this country has at one time or another put themselves in the same position Mr. Lane has (With out the final results of his disaster).  I’m man enough to admit it on a public forum (That I have driven impaired before) By no means bragging, it’s really kind of embarrassing. I’m sure tons of folks have made this mistake in judgment.  All I’m trying to say is, it happened, and it’s a tragedy for all people involved and indirectly involved as well.

Am I so sure that incarcerating someone for committing a crime like this would change things; I personally don’t think it would change a thing!  But society will make a determination and if it’s decided that a prison sentence is due, so be it……………  

No one is above the law no matter who they are, and I could not agree more, that Mr. Lane should be treated like anyone else who committed this type of crime, and his current celebrity status should not play a part in the penalty phase of his case.  

Matt
You're the one who insinuated that we are out of line because we want him to get punished for what he has done.

You right. Going to prison won't help anything. Fine him and let him drive in your area where you and your family drive.

Mikeo,

Punishment is forthcoming, regardless of what anyone says or does.

Maybe you should open your own eyes and look around, don't be naïve. Just see how many people are driving in your area impaired every day and night. It is going on right now, as we speak!

It is an epidemic that needs to be addressed.

Matt

Back