burning smell after hid install

teddypenn

Registered
I put in a ddm 35 watt 8000k low beam and after the first ride I smell something burning. Anyone have any problems with wires or anything melting?
Posted via Mobile Device

35 watts is only going to pull 2.9 amps, so you should be fine unless you wired something wrong or grounded the ballast improperly.

I've been thinking about it and I'm thinking its the rubber piece in the cross bar on my trex no cuts that I put on at the same time. Maybe its melting from the heat of the header.
Posted via Mobile Device

yea, im leaning towards somethin else, and its driving me crazy that i cant find it. maybe in the morning while its still cool out ill be able to see some smoke comin off something ???

Are you shoes touching your midpipes ?
Have you checked your header from tip to end ?
Maybe something got flung up on it and is melting on the bottom of it ?

It has to be something else, I have 55watt HID's and never have had a burning smell.

Is it possible that while working on the bike something got dropped on the exhaust, if there is anything on the exhaust it will take a long time to burn off.

the bulb is in straight, and i cant see anything on the pipe. i wasnt even working with anything that would "spill" on the pipe. im still thinking it has to be from the sliders. the t-rex kit comes with a bar that goes between the headers and the radiator and it has a rubber sleeve on it to protect the radiator in case it hits it. its not touching anything, but im thinking maybe the heat from the headers is slowly melting it.

went out and found it. its exactly what i suspected. guess t-rex didnt think about the heat down there.

002.jpg

001.jpg

wow!! glad you found it. That will serve as a good reminder to other trex users hu!

Back