electrical/plastic burning smell from the front of bike

Tim Wayne C

Registered
I have been working on my 07 lately. Doin a few mods. But I haven't done anything to the front of the bike and only thing electric I touched was re wire the lp lights. Now when the key is on I smell a plastic/ electrical type burning smell from the front of the bike..

Any ideas what to be looking for here?

I would start by looking at all the wire harnesses that are easy to inspect visually. Look for exposed wires, wires not connected to anything, or wires touching hot engine parts. If this doesn't turn up something, remove one fuse at a time and see if this narrows your search. I had to do this and eventually found the wire that was blowing the main fuses. It's possible the culprit is not a wire at all but a relay , light or a sensor. If that's it, it will more than likely burn out and then the circuit will be broken and that should solve your burning issue at least. If you worked on something electrical that's probably the problem either at the location you worked on or somewhere else along the line. I'm pretty good with the wiring but have done things like touched the wire insulator with the soldering iron and not realized it.

Just noticed the lp light are not working. Could they be shorted causing the smell. The smell is coming up by the gauges. Not at the back.

Check what ever is on that circuit. There could be things on the circuit at the front of the bike. Or just disconnect one of the lines to the lp lights and see if the smell stops.

Found the culprit. Previous owners wiring. This glob was jammed under the tool kit.

20150124_224117.jpg

Glad you found it! :thumbsup: Might not hurt to go over the rest of the bike and thoroughly inspect the wiring, then correct any other disasters before they happen.

wow, looks like extension cord or something. never know what you're gonna get when you buy used. glad the problem was solved and didn't burn the bike down.

It was speaker wire and duct tape. I found a few other things wired that way
Mainly the lights and 12v cig plug he added..
After a ride today, the burning plastic/ rubber smell is back. It's coming from by the the front of the header. Looking in the side vent I can see a little smoke coming off the 2nd from left tube. Gonna pull the fairings in a bit and see what's going on down there.

It was speaker wire and duct tape. I found a few other things wired that way
Mainly the lights and 12v cig plug he added..
After a ride today, the burning plastic/ rubber smell is back. It's coming from by the the front of the header. Looking in the side vent I can see a little smoke coming off the 2nd from left tube. Gonna pull the fairings in a bit and see what's going on down there.

Hopefully some trash found its way in and got melted to the header, if that is the case it will take awhile to burn off. Or oven cleaner will remove it, just be really careful to keep the cleaner off anything painted.

Got the electrical fixxed. But still had a faint rubber burning smell. Took the fairings off and found this lil black rubber cap sitting on the oil line against the header tube. I have no idea what it goes too.

14227491561441372216279.jpg

Also found the LED light kit is wired with speaker wire. Prob gonna pull the LED system. It's a fancy one with a remote and does all different kinds of light modes. Really not into it honestly.

Back