Building a garage

Destin07

Registered
I need to build a 2 car garage. Not sure if I will build it myself or contract it out. I also need to have 10x50 washed aggregate driveway layed. Any ideas or construction advice you guys can give me. Prices or estimates also

I need to build a 2 car garage. Not sure if I will build it myself or contract it out. I also need to have 10x50 washed aggregate driveway layed. Any ideas or construction advice you guys can give me. Prices or estimates also

Get some estimates from your local contractors and get'r done :thumbsup:

If you've never done it before, contract it.:beerchug:

My father has expierence and is going to help me and I will enjoy the process. My grandfather built custom homes for 40 years but passes away when i was born. I was just looking for ballpark cost.... I would def have the driveway done by a professional

Not sure where you are located which pertains to building material cost, but around here, a wood frame with trusses will run you about 10k for a 20x30. A little more or less depending on concrete costs at the time. You didnt say metal or wood, but I would guess to say 20 to 25k for 10x50. A 20x40 would be much more user friendly. Why a 10x50, plenty deep, but if you tandem the cars, but if you put the doors on the length of the building, you will just barely have enough room to park a car and close the door. A standard 2-car garage in most homes are 20x22.

Not sure where you are located which pertains to building material cost, but around here, a wood frame with trusses will run you about 10k for a 20x30. A little more or less depending on concrete costs at the time. You didnt say metal or wood, but I would guess to say 20 to 25k for 10x50. A 20x40 would be much more user friendly. Why a 10x50, plenty deep, but if you tandem the cars, but if you put the doors on the length of the building, you will just barely have enough room to park a car and close the door. A standard 2-car garage in most homes are 20x22.

the 10X50 is the driveway bro :beerchug:

what is it 0.75 for each square foot of unfinished house? that might be an older number but might get you somewhere.

In Ohio we call the Amish and they put up a pole barn in a day.!
I have a 52x24 with 16x24 of it a full 2 stories. Pole barn, wood siding. Took them 4 days. then a day to pour he floor. cost me around 15k materials and all. I then put in another 5k for doors and insulation and electrical and did that work myself. Built a nice man loft upstairs too.

what is it 0.75 for each square foot of unfinished house? that might be an older number but might get you somewhere.

That number must be from the 1700's. :laugh: I'd expect between $40/square foot unfinished inside, to $60/square foot for a garage.

This one cost me about 10k in materials 6 years ago. 24x24 Old pic..... was sleeting that day

Garage.jpg

Last edited:
I built a 1 1/2 car garage by myself. It took me 4 months & cost about $3K in materials. I got estimates around $15K-$20K. I didn't use trusses, I cut each 2X6 for the roof & used a 2X10 for the header & ridge beam. All work was done by me w/ a hammer, drill & circular saw.

The driveway was already there, so I drilled into it for the lag bolts & just framed it. I built a 4" attic in it for additional storage & covered the exterior walls w/ vinyl siding that matched the house. I ran power to it from the house. I even poured a 3" concrete curb around it to keep water out.

I did it just to see if I could.

The attached photos show the garage in the background.

Disclaimer - THE 3rd PHOTO IS AFTER WE SOLD THE HOUSE & THE NEW OWNER PAINTED IT BLUE, RED & TAN :moon: It was light gray & white w/ black shutters.

lovers.jpg

RC51_Done2.jpg

lovers1.jpg

I built a 1 1/2 car garage by myself. It took me 4 months & cost about $3K in materials. I got estimates around $15K-$20K. I didn't use trusses, I cut each 2X6 for the roof & used a 2X10 for the header & ridge beam. All work was done by me w/ a hammer, drill & circular saw.

The driveway was already there, so I drilled into it for the lag bolts & just framed it. I built a 4" attic in it for additional storage & covered the exterior walls w/ vinyl siding that matched the house. I ran power to it from the house. I even poured a 3" concrete curb around it to keep water out.

I did it just to see if I could.

The attached photos show the garage in the background.

Disclaimer - THE 3rd PHOTO IS AFTER WE SOLD THE HOUSE & THE NEW OWNER PAINTED IT BLUE, RED & TAN :moon: It was light gray & white w/ black shutters.
man thats pretty awesome

If you're gonna do it yourself, make friends with a ready-mix driver. You have no idea how much concrete is thrown away. Concrete is around $100/yd here, and that's cheap.....
Amish/Mennonite folks do great work, and cheap. If there are any near you give them a shout, you won't be sorry you did.

Back