buell foot peg mod

bigjohn141

Donating Member
Registered
I have heard something about a buell foot peg mod that is suppost to lower your foot position. I am 6'5" and would like to know more about this. Has anyone done this mod yet? If so, I would love to hear how its working out, and would like to see some pics. Thanks

At 6'5" you might need to do the Buell foot peg mod AND the Tobin seat (which I believe is taller than the stock seat.)

pics

buell_pegs.jpg

Here's the thread with lot of info. <a href="https://www.hayabusa.org/cgi-bin/busa/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=13743;hl=buell+peg%">Buell Peg Mod<a>, but for the record the Tobin seats are a lower cut seat not higher.

I'm 6'5 and I've got the Buell pegs on my '03. Made a world of difference and I can go all day now without my knees aching. The new riding position is a little weird at first, but you get used to it. Makes it a touch harder to keep your weight off the bars, but you'll figure it out.

At 6'5" you might need to do the Buell foot peg mod AND the Tobin seat (which I believe is taller than the stock seat.)
O.K. DAB, you are only half correct about your statement. Yes, the Buell footpeg mod does lower the foot position, but the Tobin seat actually LOWERS your arse because the seat is actually cut down. No biggie, but I wouldn't want anyone to get the misconception that they actually ride higher in the seating with the Tobin. I am 6'5" and I haven't used my Tobin yet
sad.gif
because the lowered seating position wreaks havoc on my knees. I now have the Buell pegs that were already cut down from epicrisis, and I'm going to test the Buell pegs with the Tobin seat next week.

O.K. DAB, you are only half correct about your statement.  Yes, the Buell footpeg mod does lower the foot position, but the Tobin seat actually LOWERS your arse because the seat is actually cut down.  No biggie, but I wouldn't want anyone to get the misconception that they actually ride higher in the seating with the Tobin.  I am 6'5" and I haven't used my Tobin yet
sad.gif
because the lowered seating position wreaks havoc on my knees.  I now have the Buell pegs that were already cut down from epicrisis, and I'm going to test the Buell pegs with the Tobin seat next week.
OK, I stand corrected (could've sworn that I read somewhere that the Tobin was higher than a stocker though.)

I understand what you're saying about your knees, I found the stock footpegs to be too high also (and I'm not as tall as you.) I've ground the rubber "slots" off the stock footrest, but they are still too high. I'll probably do the Buell mod as well if it's lower.

What needs to be done to the Buell's to make them fit the 'Busa?

One more thing, if you haven't already done so, drop the rear brake lever to allow for the lower foot position after you fit the new pegs (and adjust the brake light switch.)

thank guys. looks like it will help. my only other question is, what buell are they off of?

I figure this might sound weird coming from a Buell owner but I am not a fan of those pegs. I test rode both the XB9R and XB9S when they first came out. My biggest complaint about the XB9S was those damn foot pegs. Any time I would even slightly raise my right foot to brake I would snag the heel against the lip that comes out. From what I hear though from Buell riders you eventually get used to it. Still do not like them.

Sean

I have them on my Busa and have never had that happen. In fact, I rode for about a year with the rubber pads removed from the stock pegs, which leaves two well-defined ridges for your shoes to snag and still didn't have a problem. Now, the Buell pegs I used are from a 2003 XB12-something - they could be different but they look just like those in the photos above.

Ed

You need to be careful when lowering the brake lever.. I know after I lowered mine and really started hitting curves the rear brake lever found the pavement. Didn't really hurt it, but it did grind about 1/4 inch from the thickness of it. hehe

you also may have to cut the threaded rod coming down from the rear brake thing because I couldn't adjust it low enough for my taste after putting the buell pegs on.

It's simple to do though.. just run a nut all the way to the top, take a dremel or whatever and cut about 1/4 inch off the rod then run the nut back down to straighten out/remove any burrs from the threads.

Other than that, I love the buell peg mod. It's simple, and effective.

Just make sure you take those curb feelers off.

You need to be careful when lowering the brake lever.. I know after I lowered mine and really started hitting curves the rear brake lever found the pavement.  Didn't really hurt it, but it did grind about 1/4 inch from the thickness of it. hehe

you also may have to cut the threaded rod coming down from the rear brake thing because I couldn't adjust it low enough for my taste after putting the buell pegs on.

It's simple to do though.. just run a nut all the way to the top, take a dremel or whatever and cut about 1/4 inch off the rod then run the nut back down to straighten out/remove any burrs from the threads.

Other than that, I love the buell peg mod.  It's simple, and effective.

Just make sure you take those curb feelers off.
Good to know. Thanks.

I forgot to mention that the pegs move your feet back and out a little as well as down. The "out" part is enough to make shifting a pigeon-toed affair. I lengthened my shifter by removing the rubber pad, cutting off the "nail head" on the end of the rod, welding a 3" piece of 1/2" aluminum tubing over the rod and covering it with 5/8" clear plastic tubing (bare aluminum will mark your shoes).

Ed

oh yeah, and they costs a whole whopping $26 bucks or so..

I never had much prob with that pigeon toed shifting thing. When i'm in a hurry I always get my feet into the bike as close as posisbly anyways.. and it's no big deal when I'm just goin down the road.

Back