Brocks's zx14 runs 200 at Maxton mile

(frisbee @ Sep. 28 2006,13:38) Hey 2fast4u2c, Hows your bike doing ? Did you sell it?
Yes,
John Noonan bought it and raced her. He got into the 200Club with a 214mph run and then poofed the head gasket on Sunday while going thru the traps at 211 after letting off when he popped 6th about 200 feet earlier. He was on a teen run for sure.

Guy

According to the Oct. Sport Rider it would take 202.4 HP for the ZX 13.5 too reach 200 MPH. So I really dont think all the mods are listed. I would bet there are a few more tricks under the tank. In theory, the Hayabusa is still the fastest top speed STOCK production motorcycle produced to date. " A lot of things have changed since our 2001 test, but in the rarified world of high-triple-digit speeds, Suzuki's Hayabusa still reigns supreme. "

So there you have it. Read it and weep ZX 13.5 riders!!!!

<embed src="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fsmileys.smileycentral.com%252Fcat%252FF%252Ftransport.swf%253Fcode%253DF%252F0%252F240%2526partner%253DZSzeb110%255FZS/transport.swf" loop="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100" height="120" name="transport" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" wmode="transparent" flashvars="code=F/0/240&partner=ZSzeb110_ZS" />

(h82bbad @ Oct. 01 2006,06:31)
Yes, you do. John ran on the APS/F 1650 record of 211 and ran the 214 to beat it and get into the club. John beat a Tiger Racing record with the Tiger and him on board as the new owner of the bike.

Guy

(2fast4u2c @ Oct. 01 2006,16:10)
Yes, you do.  John ran on the APS/F 1650 record of 211 and ran the 214 to beat it and get into the club.  John beat a Tiger Racing record with the Tiger and him on board as the new owner of the bike.

Guy
I thought that class was closed? BTW congrads on the record!

Hey TJ,
Those numbers that Sport Rider put out are guesstimates at best. We took a bone stock 14 to Maxton in May that had 24 miles on it. It made less than 170hp on a DJ150 and Chad rode it to 196.1mph.
The only mods were an 18 tooth counter sprocket to fool the top-end limiter and the mirrors were removed per the ECTA rules.
Scott Guthrie (Mr. Land Speed guru) has the fastest pass at Maxton on a stock 'Busa at 192.
No stock motored 'Busa has ever broke 200 at Maxton with just bolt-ons that I know of and we've been going there for six years......a 14 has with Chad riding Brocks bike.
Believe what you want but the engine has not had the valve cover off. The 14's are just faster, plain truth.
Dan

Well mathmatics dont lie, and yes they are all theretical #'s but they are factual. With the same riders on the bikes and at the same track, same riding conditions, the Busa should run faster according to the CD tests. Put a 18 tooth front sprocket on a busa and see what the top end will be! By changing the gearing you are not running a stock machine. Compare apples to apples or dont compare at all!

Apples to apples stock, the 12, 14 and 'Busa are all gonna run 186.....no winner.
We did not know how to bypass the limiter on the 14 other than gearing it taller to fool it, the gearing was way off for maximum mph at the lights....too tall.
I can promise you that a pure stock 'Busa with an 18 countertooth is not gonna run 196 at Maxton.
The 'Busas are the fastest bikes there, no doubt. But that's with nitrous, turbos or built engines. Apples to apples, modified, they are faster.
Dan

(tjdobb @ Oct. 01 2006,12:49) According to the Oct. Sport Rider it would take 202.4 HP for the ZX 13.5 too reach 200 MPH. So I really dont think all the mods are listed. I would bet there are a few more tricks under the tank. In theory, the Hayabusa is still the fastest top speed STOCK production motorcycle produced to date. " A lot of things have changed since our 2001 test, but in the rarified world of high-triple-digit speeds, Suzuki's Hayabusa still reigns supreme. "

So there you have it. Read it and weep ZX 13.5 riders!!!!

<embed src="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fsmileys.smileycentral.com%252Fcat%252FF%252Ftransport.swf%253Fcode%253DF%252F0%252F240%2526partner%253DZSzeb110%255FZS/transport.swf" loop="false" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="100" height="120" name="transport" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" wmode="transparent" flashvars="code=F/0/240&partner=ZSzeb110_ZS" />
TRUE, but......

Those numbers were calculated for a STOCK bike at STOCK HEIGHT.  If you notice how much aero Dave'O picked up in the wind tunnel by being lowered, the ZX-14 would get improved results also.  If you notice Brocks bike is slammed and would = better areo than stock because of it.

That means it would require LESS HP to run the same number based off the SPORTRIDE Cd "estimated" calculations.....  
wink.gif

P.S....the article never said if the calculations were based off of 200mph in 0 to 1-mile or TOPSPEED period.  I would think a BUSA needs less HP to run 200mph in a 5 or 10 mile stretch depending on wind/gearing, etc... than 1-mile which the bike is still accelerating depending on the setup, etc....

Good points for sure.
I do agree that it would take less hp for a 'Busa to run the same numbers as a 12 or 14. They are slicker and have a huge aftermarket following, no wonder everyone runs them to go fast.
I just beat to a different drum and I've always liked Kawasakis. Of course I've lost more races than I've ever won!
Dan

(h82bbad @ Oct. 07 2006,21:20)
(2fast4u2c @ Oct. 01 2006,16:10)
Yes, you do.  John ran on the APS/F 1650 record of 211 and ran the 214 to beat it and get into the club.  John beat a Tiger Racing record with the Tiger and him on board as the new owner of the bike.

Guy
I thought that class was closed? BTW congrads on the record!
well?

I dont know who said APS-1650 was a closed class but it is not. So there should be no concerns over the record. Somebody has their facts wrong on this topic.

As for all the talk about the Sport Rider article I wrote it so if if there are errors I take blame but I think the data is solid but of course estimates were made.

1. The data is TOP SPEED and not based on a 1 mile Maxton course. And they were based on DAVE O on the bike not Chad. Basically the drag of the bike and rider are made and ESTIMATES of rolling resistance used(this is one source of error) and then it is a simple math exercise to calculate the top speed at a given HP or the Hp to go a given speed. Again not in a mile but TOP SPEED at whatever distance and gearing it takes to get there properly. We also have to assume gearing is such that peak hp happens at the speed we are using.

As pointed out before Brocks bike was lowered and that makes it a NON stock bike so you cant really compare it to ours that we tested for Sport Rider. Ours also had mirrors which makes a small difference.

For the calculated speeds we also have to assume, no wind, tail or head, and we have to assume a constant altitude, temp and humidity as well as barometer.

Changes in any of those over our assumptions would account for why Chad did indeed go 196mph on a stock zx-14. I was there when he did it and believe that bike to be stock. So perhaps he had some better conditions, or maybe he has better aeros than Dave-o, perhaps the mirrors were removed, maybe the temp etc was better etc. Maybe our estimates of rolling resistance were off too.

All of which would be enough to add up to explaining away the difference in the Sport Rider estimates and Chads actual.

These formulas are indeed MATH and not prone to a lot of error in the forumlas themself. But the assumptions are the killers and as you can see there was a lot of them we have to make.

Good topic and I am at least glad some of you read the article.

If you check out the next issue of Super Streetbike you will see how Chad did the impossible again by going 196 mph on a 172hp ZX-10 and 202.9mph on the same bike with nitrous wich MAYBE had 195-200hp max.

Later

Don

Don,

Thanks for the info and clarification....  
beerchug.gif

I wish I could get some free time in the wind tunnel to play and try some things.
cool.gif

(Got-Busa? @ Oct. 12 2006,07:38) Don,

Thanks for the info and clarification....  
beerchug.gif

I wish I could get some free time in the wind tunnel to play and try some things.
cool.gif
Free? Everyone wants it for free. I wish I could get some free time over there myself. But if you really look at the potential a few hours in the tunnel costs about as much as a nice exhaust system that yields what 8-10hp?

I promise 3 hours in the tunnel will get you a lot more aero hp than that.

Don

(tjdobb @ Oct. 08 2006,15:03) Well mathmatics dont lie, and yes they are all theretical #'s but they are factual. With the same riders on the bikes and at the same track, same riding conditions, the Busa should run faster according to the CD tests. Put a 18 tooth front sprocket on a busa and see what the top end will be! By changing the gearing you are not running a stock machine. Compare apples to apples or dont compare at all!
I could appriciate all your theoretical knowledge, unfortunately theory only goes so far in the real world. It takes alot to get even a well worked bike with more than 202hp past 200mph.

I just read this on the other Busa site . This guy is a turbo Busa owner and ........... so ,nitrous and other mods huh ?

I was at Maxton when this happened and it wasn't Brock that rode it to 200...it was a jockey!  Yep, he had a professional rider who probably weighed all of 120lbs hit 200 after about 20-30 passes!  Also, it wasn't stock!  Brock had nitrous, an LM-1, and other big money mods done to that bike!

(mountainmotor @ Oct. 27 2006,16:54) I just read this on the other Busa site . This guy is a turbo Busa owner and ........... so ,nitrous and other mods huh ?

I was at Maxton when this happened and it wasn't Brock that rode it to 200...it was a jockey!  Yep, he had a professional rider who probably weighed all of 120lbs hit 200 after about 20-30 passes!  Also, it wasn't stock!  Brock had nitrous, an LM-1, and other big money mods done to that bike!
I'll believe Guy. If the bike was sprayed, it would have been told a long time ago.
I call BS

Well , I was going to delete my post until I could positively find the facts then repost...even though I was not the author .

Now it's quoted so no chance for that .............

Back