Brembo clutch master cylinder which one to fit?

CraigMcleod

Registered
I'm intending to fit a Brembo RCS clutch master cylinder but getting conflicting info. Which one to go for RCS16 or RCS 19? getting conflicting views even from Brembo! anyone fit either to a standard Gen 2 bike? I am looking for a soft pull (spend a lot of time in traffic) I ride purely on the the road not track or drag use. Any info much appreciated.

RCS 16 18
And here is all the info on the Micro switch kit that is available for, and needed for a Gen2

RCS 16 18
And here is all the info on the Micro switch kit that is available for, and needed for a Gen2
Excellent thankyou so much for this :bowdown:

16-18 (or max 17-19) piston dia, together with deep cleaned standard 6-piston tokicos, are very useful for street riding and as ottafish wrote - you´ll never will go back to (5/8" dia) a standard master.

the 19 dia only should be mounted for race track.

so my (and others) experiences - partly done by bad accidents by over braking the front with dia 19 radial and standard 6-piston tokicos in a panic braking !

but
if you wanna change the calipers to some others at same "breath", you will have to test precisely the behavior of that new combination
before riding the street !

Last edited:
16-18 (or max 17-19) piston dia, together with deep cleaned standard 6-piston tokicos, are very useful for street riding and as ottafish wrote - you´ll never will go back to (5/8" dia) a standard master.

so my (and others) experiences - partly done by bad accidents by over braking the front with dia 19 radial and standard 6-piston tokicos in a panic braking !

but
if you wanna change the calipers to some others at same "breath", you will have to test precisely the behavior of that new combination

Ah, except Craig was asking about the clutch m/c..

but
Thank you for the info its the clutch I'm asking about.
Still useful though I have a Brembo RCS19 BRAKE master cylinder fitted to my gen 1 with standard 6 pots and braided hoses, this improved braking immensely. I am removing this lever and fitting it to my Gen 2 build that will also have braided hoses and Brembo mono block callipers (also ABS).
I'm looking to also fit the RCS clutch master cylinder hopefully as its adjustable this will lighten the lever feel when in traffic etc.

Ah, except Craig was asking about the clutch m/c..

damn - one (me) should read, precisely, all - lol

and thx to you @ottafish

so here my answer to the clutch question

yes a 16-18 i have also at my ´00 (i guess)

i guess because when pump got installed and bleeded i felt as if the lever was - for me - too close to the grip when releasing the clutch only a little bit ~ 5-10mm and the clutch started "grabbing".
so i think i "unfortunately" got a 15 dia clutch pump, what then causes that the pumped volume to the slave is not really sufficciant.
to reverse that "unfortunate" feeling i replaced the 38 mm dia slave (´99-´02) by a 36 mm dia slave of the ´03
with full success.
clutch is now dosable at its best and still as easy to pull as a 10 year old child would be able to pull the lever fully although stronger springs are built in the "basket".

Thank you for the info its the clutch I'm asking about.
Still useful though I have a Brembo RCS19 BRAKE master cylinder fitted to my gen 1 with standard 6 pots and braided hoses, this improved braking immensely. I am removing this lever and fitting it to my Gen 2 build that will also have braided hoses and Brembo mono block callipers (also ABS).
I'm looking to also fit the RCS clutch master cylinder hopefully as its adjustable this will lighten the lever feel when in traffic etc.
You sure got a lot of BRAKE responses...maybe this info will help someone when they search for brake upgrades...

damn - one (me) should read, precisely, all - lol

and thx to you @ottafish

so here my answer to the clutch question

yes a 16-18 i have also at my ´00 (i guess)

i guess because when pump got installed and bleeded i felt as if the lever was - for me - too close to the grip when releasing the clutch only a little bit ~ 5-10mm and the clutch started "grabbing".
so i think i "unfortunately" got a 15 dia clutch pump, what then causes that the pumped volume to the slave is not really sufficciant.
to reverse that "unfortunate" feeling i replaced the 38 mm dia slave (´99-´02) by a 36 mm dia slave of the ´03
with full success.
clutch is now dosable at its best and still as easy to pull as a 10 year old child would be able to pull the lever fully although stronger springs are built in the "basket".
That would make sense I didn't realise they had changed clutch slave diameter on the Gen 1. I am intending to fit this to a Gen 2 (I will check slave cylinder diameter on this one first). How id you wire up a switch so the bike can be started with lever pulled in?

Back