Breaking-In

I've always broke my toys in HARD. I've only actually followed the mototune procedure on one... my 10R. I will use the mototune way on all my toys from now on without fail. Even though I broke the busa in harder than factory recommendations I didn't quite go as far as mototune's way does. I was still gettin' light metal sludge in the third oil change. Following mototune's break-in on the 10, the oil was perfectly clean on the second oil change. Absolutely ZERO metal sludge or anything else visible in the oil when I changed it this past week.

I've always been a believer in a hard break-in, but now I'm a firm believer in the mototune way. It just plain makes sense...

rode mine hard from day one. Its seen 178 mph once and I never go riding without hitting 3 degits a few dozen times.

I don't have the discipline to keeps the rpm's as low as the manual recommends anyway. I've always made sure the engine was warm first, then ridden my new bikes like normal. (hard)
biggrin.gif

drive it like you stole it !  if its gona break let it be warranty!
You do realize that IF something does happen to the bike during the break-in period they can go in and retrieve the highest rpm the motor has been to and if it is above factory specs it will not be covered by warranty. I did not realize this till it happened to a buddy of mine granted it wasn't on a busa but it was a gixxer 1k. I have read the mototune article before and it does make sense to me and I know alot of folks break thier rides in hard, but you gotta think about the "what-if" possibility cuz new motors don't come cheap at all. I still have yet to decide how I will break in my busa and prolly won't be sure until I get on it.I have had alot of different opinions on this subject ranging from rite it hard to pamper it. The best idea I have heard so far is to remain in factory specs while varying the rpms and using the gearbox to slow the bike, this supposedly helps the rings seat properly. I would think that 99% of the time you should be able to ride it like you stole it but what if you are the 1%? That's the question I keep asking myself...
Jay

drive it like you stole it !  if its gona break let it be warranty!
You do realize that IF something does happen to the bike during the break-in period they can go in and retrieve the highest rpm the motor has been to and if it is above factory specs it will not be covered by warranty. I did not realize this till it happened to a buddy of mine granted it wasn't on a busa but it was a gixxer 1k. I have read the mototune article before and it does make sense to me and I know alot of folks break thier rides in hard, but you gotta think about the "what-if" possibility cuz new motors don't come cheap at all. I still have yet to decide how I will break in my busa and prolly won't be sure until I get on it.I have had alot of different opinions on this subject ranging from rite it hard to pamper it. The best idea I have heard so far is to remain in factory specs while varying the rpms and using the gearbox to slow the bike, this supposedly helps the rings seat properly. I would think that 99% of the time you should be able to ride it like you stole it but what if you are the 1%? That's the question I keep asking myself...
Jay
If your worried that you might damage the motor with the Hard and Fast method then just do it by the book.

Back