Brakes n Wheel Bearings

Golfen1

Donating Member
Registered
What's the average milage when the front brake pads and wheel bearings need replaced? I have the rim off now to polish it and just wondered if I should just go ahead and replace?
rock.gif
???

Brake pads I just look at the wear groove in the pad to ensure there is enough material left.

Wheel bearings? Good question. My Busa has 17k+ miles on it. I knocked the bearings out, and inspected them since I was powder coating my wheels. Weird how Zuki used Semi-sealed bearings, rather than full sealed. Anywho...I had a PITA time packing new grease in them being semi-sealed. They looked good and had no indications of abnormal or excessive wear.

It depends on where, the type of riding you do and mileage. I ride year round even on saltly roads and my bearings barely made the 15,000 mi marker.

DSC03243.jpg

DSC03242.jpg

Cat3, is correct about the stockers being semi protected  
sad.gif

I ordered a better set of bearing that are completely sealed (front,rear and the hub) through nullwww.worldwidebearings.com for $75.

Placing the bearings in the freezer (ziploc bag) for day before will ease reinstalling

(Rhythm @ Jan. 22 2007,12:27) It depends on where and the type of riding you do. I ride year round even on saltly roads and my bearings barely made the 15,000 mi marker.

sad.gif

I ordered a better set of bearing that are completely sealed (front,rear and the hub) through nullwww.worldwidebearings.com for $75.

Placing the bearings in the freezer (ziploc bag) for day before will ease reinstalling
The bearings make a difference Ty?

Your site is taking a break

"World Wide Bearings is Currently Under Development and will be back online in a few weeks.

The Industries Largest Supplier of Bearings for Motorcycle's , ATV's, Snowmobile's & Go Karts"

How many miles and what kind of riding do you do? If you have the wheel off. You can see how the pads are holding.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 22 2007,09:28)
(Rhythm @ Jan. 22 2007,12:27) It depends on where and the type of riding you do. I ride year round even on saltly roads and my bearings barely made the 15,000 mi marker.

sad.gif

The bearings make a difference Ty?
I cant tell, but they should hold up much longer than the stockers riding under the same conditions, being completely sealed.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 22 2007,09
super.gif
) Your site is taking a break

"World Wide Bearings is Currently Under Development and will be back online in a few weeks.

The Industries Largest Supplier of Bearings for Motorcycle's , ATV's, Snowmobile's & Go Karts"
It's up and running, you have to call. www.worldwidebearings.com

I have 8k miles now. mostly ride the twisties/highways in TN and North Alabama. Never in the rain.

(Golfen1 @ Jan. 22 2007,10:04) I have 8k miles now.  mostly ride the twisties/highways in TN and North Alabama.  Never in the rain.
You should be fine on the brakes! When the bearings start to go, you will notice an off and on strange feeling the handlebars at a low speed or when coming to a slow stop. Another indication that your seal are gone would be after cleaning your bike and taking it for a spin. Afterwards you will notice the brake carriers covered with somthing that look like you road through a puddle of mud.

Back