Brake Bleeding-On the cheap!

FALQN

Registered
This weekend I replaced my front brake and clutch lines with stainless steel lines. I'm always looking for cheaper DIY options. So, to bleed the lines I took an old medicine syringe that was used for the boys when they were sick and stuck it in the end of the bleeder tube to create the vacuum. I then took plumbers teflon thread tape and sealed the threads on the bleeder nipples. Both of these ideas I found on the forum. Worked like a charm. With the clutch line, I cracked the bleeder nipple, pulled the syringe stopper and began pumping the lever. When the bubbles stopped, I reset the syringe and began pumping again. I had pressure and fluid filling the bleeder tube within 30 seconds. I closed the nipple, disconnected the syringe, stuck the end in a bottle and bled the line normally to get rid of any remaining air and old fluid.

The front lines took a little longer because I did not have enough teflon tape on the threads, and I was pulling air instead of fluid. But I eventually found the problem and finished them as well.

I can now take that $30 I would have spent on the Mityvac and put it towards new EBC pads.

image.jpg

Goes even quicker with a horse syringe(no needle)as they are much bigger.
Usually a dollar or two at any farm supply store.
They're what I've always used:thumbsup:

Goes even quicker with a horse syringe(no needle)as they are much bigger.
Usually a dollar or two at any farm supply store.
They're what I've always used:thumbsup:

I'm with ya...except I didn't want to go out. I believe you can get a big syringe at the drug store too. When I see one I'm going to pick it up for future use.

The best thing I ever bought for bleediong hydraulics are Speed Bleeders!!

Crack em open, place a clear hose over the bleeder other end in a sealed mason moonshine jar, pump refill, pump, refill and close em off. Can flush front/rear and clutch fluid completly in 20 minutes.

I did something similar. Except I started at the caliper and blew the fluid up to the res. Lots less air that way, since it wants to rise anyway.

I did something similar. Except I started at the caliper and blew the fluid up to the res. Lots less air that way, since it wants to rise anyway.

+1
That's how I do it too.

I also put a ziptie around the brake lever and grip to keep the brakes applied.
Let it sit overnight, and bleed again the next day.:beerchug:

Back