Bought the absolute polar opposite of Hayabusa

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
Have always said that if I could get another motorcycle, it would be the absolute polar opposite of the Hayabusa. And the opposite is a naked standard. I have ridden quite a few of them through the years- the Ducati StreetFighter, the Aprilia Tuono (new & old), R1200RS, Speed Triple, HyperMotard, even had a K1200R in the garage for awhile. Zero fairings, just a big motor and wheels.

I've always said the Hayabusa is the ultimate riding machine. It does all things well: Iron Butt Riding (rode 1700 miles in 36 hrs- my 2nd), knee dragging, cold-weather riding, hot weather, handles like it's on rails, and all that horsepower makes it an absolute beast.

So it all came down to these bikes: the K1200R, the Speed Triple, or the K1000.

Enter the Kawasaki K1000. Stealth fighter fairings, zero windscreen, wide bars, minimalist tail, 190 rear tire, and it's thick. It has that meaty look. A midsection that's all motor. Upside down forks, and bolt upright seating.

So the Busa has a new stablemate, riding this thing is pure sex! What fun!

Now the dilemma begins: what to do to it? Leave it as is, or mods, mods, mods. What a sickness.

kawasaki_z1000_2.jpg

kawasaki_z1000_1.jpg

Kawasaki_Z1000_3_1500.jpg

kawasaki_z1000_1.jpg

kawasaki_z1000_2.jpg

Kawasaki_Z1000_3_1500.jpg

"Now the dilemma begins: what to do to it? Leave it as is, or mods, mods, mods"

Ha ha ha. It's a no brainer! Just keep us updated on the mods Tim! LOL

that isn't very opposite. :laugh:

I thought you had gotten yourself a 1978 400 Hondamatic with a homemade side-porch, or maybe the roaddog. :rofl:

I played with a nephews Z1000. it was a fun bike. easy to ride wheelies on. :beerchug: be careful. :laugh:

th.jpg

Gigantic_Motorcycle_Wild_Bill_Road_Dog_600w.jpg

Nice! The first thing to modify is that red front fender...
It looks like the factory put the wrong one on, otherwise it's pretty neat.

PS - ...and of course Pazzo Levers...

Tim

Nice ride, best value upright liter bike with a great motor.

You gonna change your site to "Kashnit" now?

BB

Hey Tim - Wouldn't it be impossible for you not to mod it? Unless you were dead, I wouldn't think you
have the will power to NOT do something to it. It appears to be in your blood, and you can't change that. :rofl:

Keep us updated.......

That's a sweet piece of artillery you have right there my friend! By mid-July we want to see pictures of you up on one wheel that will make sixpack envious! If not, sell that puppy and take up knitting!

Fun ride but "Better than sex"? You must be older than me. I'm 92 so you have to be 93 at least! :shocked:

Congrats on the new ride!

I can smell it from here - mmm! that new bike smell! One question... who put it on a trailer and tried to steal it? Cause I know you would have ridden a new motorcycle home from the point of purchase?!? Right?

Nice bike :) and it will make a good friend to the Busa!

Signed,

Street legal motorcycles don't deserve to be tied to a trailer.

That's a cool bike!
A friend of mine sold his 636 and is looking to buy a Z1000 as his next bike.
I hope so, because I wanna ride one!:laugh:
As far as we know the ecu can be unleashed and you end up with a ZX10 tune or very similiar.
I am unsure if the Z1 and ZX10 engine internals have any differences.
Either way, the engine wakes up.
I'm curious to hear how heavy it feels riding. If I'm not mistaken they're over 500lbs.
Congrats:beerchug:

480 lbs dry, it feels like a toy in relation to my Busa's. Super-torquey to the point where I wonder if I will be blowing out 2nd gear in 10-20K miles. (both my Yamaha's had no 2nd gear after 50K)

Revs are high though, 5000rpm at 70+ on freeway, but it's got the M4's on it. Awesome commute & city bike for sure in traffic.

Front brakes are super-grippy! And it has long-black Pazzos. Those gotta go. Going to pick up some short gold blades, & swap just the blades.

Motorcyclist mag this month has an article on sprocket changes on the Ninja 1000 (cousin to the Z1000), and they went through 5 SuperSprox sprocket teeth changes to dial it in. Possibly need to go -1 or -2 down in rear to get the revs down for travel.

11.8:1 compression has me wondering if I need premium?

'08 has been sold, and I'd like to sell the '00 also but I just can't seem to part with it- I've had it over 10 yrs now. Maybe over winter, then get another Busa, and start another long-term build project.

Plus gotta figure out the luggage situation to travel on this thing. First big ride will be leading the 4-Day Memorial Day tour.

My riding partner just got this & that dry bag Kriega tail pack is pretty cool :
13977941766_14f3e88c9c_b.jpg

Back