Bought a flag today, tell me what you think....

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
So the family and I went out this morning to a few garage sales looking for a bookshelf to send my oldest son back off to college with. While we were perusing around in a guys garage I looked down in an old clothes trunk and saw a lot of old clothes and a folded American flag. I asked the lady that was there (in her 30's) if the flag was for sale and she said she would ask her husband. She went in the house and came back out and said make an offer... It is a really nice flag, not a thin nylon material but really thick, I asked her what the history on it was and she dropped the bomb.... She says it was her husbands Grandfathers flag and it was presented to the family when he died 11 years ago, he was apparently retired Navy.

Who would sell their grandfathers flag that was presented when he passed away? I just can't fathom it... I gave 10 bucks for it and it with the rest of my families flags & service awards in a room we have that call the "patriotic room".

I just don't get it...

Cap

sale-flag.jpg

sale-flag.jpg

Last edited:
Some people just don't have the same values that us little bit older people do.

Captain, Do you dare unfold it - I would like to see the whole flag and know what size it is.
Check too, was it made in the USA?
American flags that are not made here should be boycotted by everyone so that the makers
decide that it's not worth making them because no one is buying them. JMHO

Something tells me that young people don't feel the same way. :banghead:

Captain, Do you dare unfold it - I would like to see the whole flag and know what size it is.
American flags that are not made here should be boycotted by everyone so that the makers

If it was presented to the family at the time of death it is a Burial Flag. Burial Flags/Casket Flags are 5' x 9' 6" and are made of cotton.

There is some people that do not feel the same way others do. It doesn't matter their age, it is not just the young people. That is there right, some may not agree with that fact. But those that have served protect that right.

On the surface, I find it troubling that someone would not show much regard for a family member's burial flag. However, we don't know the whole story. Maybe that grandfather, even having served his country, left behind a dishonorable legacy within his own family. Perhaps his was a memory they were glad to get rid of, for whatever reason. We'll likely never know, so let's not be so quick to judge.

I agree with you that American flags should not be imported into the States. That said, I would not be willing to unfold this or any other burial flag just to disclose its origin. To me, the finality of the folding and presentation of the flag to the family of a deceased service member should be permanent and never undone unless absolutely necessary. I view that last folding as an important act to seal and commemorate the end of that person's life and their service to our nation.

Maybe that's just a reflection of my values...

Sincerely,

Someone much younger :thumbsup:

I agree with you that American flags should not be imported into the States. That said, I would not be willing to unfold this or any other burial flag just to disclose its origin. To me, the finality of the folding and presentation of the flag to the family of a deceased service member should be permanent and never undone unless absolutely necessary. I view that last folding as an important act to seal and commemorate the end of that person's life and their service to our nation.

Maybe that's just a reflection of my values...

Sincerely,

Someone much younger :thumbsup:

I agree, but yeah it should be folded at the funeral so I also wouldn't mess with it. Plus it takes some practice to get that fold and tight.

I would hang onto something like a flag from grandfathers funeral. Although I do have to say I am the kind of guy that does not hang on to much for sentimental reasons anymore. When my World War II veteran grandfather passed away a couple of years ago we all got some nice things of his to remember him by. The finny thing is I just sold a couple of things at a garage sale 2 weeks ago that were his.

I had some cool antique saws hanging in my garage from my grandpa. Big lumberjack type saws that have to be pre 1900 era. I had four of them hanging in my garage for 5 plus years I got from him when he moved into an old folks home. A guy made me an offer on them so I sold them.

Now, that being said I have a prize from him that I will hand down through the family. I have a 1950 Gibson acoustic guitar that he gave me several years back. The thing is beautiful and worth several thousand dollars. I want to get it restored one of these days. It still plays great but it needs a bit of work.

I guess the point I am getting at is some things hold sentimental value for some, and not for others. He may have something from his Grandpa that he is holding onto and is willing to purge the rest. You would think a flag would hold some value to the guy but to each his own I guess

glad it went to a place where it's value and importance are recognized and revered :beerchug:

I have thought of all of those scenarios mentioned above and each time I come back with a pretty simple answer for the question.. 1. If Grandpa left a terrible legacy why even keep the flag for 11 years or accept it at all. 2. If they were glad to get rid of it I would have done it long ago and with some respect to the flag itself and not left it in the bottom of a clothes chest at a garage sale to make a buck off of.

I completely agree with what folks have said here all legitimate points of view, maybe the family didnt care, maybe they were bitter to the grandfather, maybe they had too much stuff. In the end Old Glory herself deserves more and she has a nice home now...

Great comments folks, glad to be back in the discussions..

CAp

Maybe they, the people who sold the flag, just got the flag from their parent. On the surface it seems callous but like flicka said, we don't know the whole story. I'll leave judgement up to the big man upstairs.

Doesn't matter at this point I suppose; I know that flag is in good hands now and will be treated with respect. :thumbsup:

I have the flag that was presented at my grandfather's funeral; he was a WWII Navy Veteran. When my Dad (a Vietnam Veteran) was preparing for his own funeral, he wanted to make sure both of his daughters had flags instead of just the oldest (me) getting one, so he arranged to have his father's flag and a new one to be presented to both of us. My sister and I didn't care who got which one, but I know after the fact that I did get the one that was handed down from my grandfather's funeral; it smells of cigarette smoke from being in my Dad's house for years.

I did have it unfolded, but it was because it didn't correctly display the stars in the case my sister bought after we lost Dad. I did so in the most honorable way I could think of - I asked Shawn (MC Mustang) if his fellow Marines would be so inclined to do the honors at his retirement ceremony, and he didn't hesitate. They refolded the flag that's been in my family since my grandfather passed away, the flag that honors both my Pop-Pop and my Dad and I'm so honored to have it. I'd never give it up.

I asked Shawn (MC Mustang) if his fellow Marines would be so inclined to do the honors at his retirement ceremony, and he didn't hesitate. They refolded the flag that's been in my family since my grandfather passed away, the flag that honors both my Pop-Pop and my Dad and I'm so honored to have it. I'd never give it up.

I love this, asking a friend, an honored friend to assist with something so special should mean a tremendous amount to Shawn. Your request should show him how much you respect him as a friend and an US Marine, but for you to know that something so special was being honored and cared for by your friend is just AWESOME.... I love this place, I just can't get enough of my friends here and what people do...

This is just good all over!

Back