Bodybuilding/weightlifting

muskrat

Registered
Gonna get serious about gettin' my lift on and getting my out-of-shape a$$ into the gym. Gonna concentrate mostly on classic bodybuilding/weightlifting and randomly integrate more functional stuff time to time. Anyone who is seriously into this have any advice (routines, nutrition, supps, etc) it would be appreciated.

If it goes well I may even set a goal to compete in an amateur show (knowing full welll I would finish last but it would be a good goal).

I wish you were on the southern end of the state, I'm about to do the same thing. I was into it heavily quite a few years back then got out of the rhythym and it all went down hill from there. I have a great routine but will take awhile to explain and I have to get ready for work, will explain it a bit later

Good luck..remeber is all 80% what you put in / or dont put in your mouth. Small meals, protiens and clean carbs. Bodybuilding.com has great info for you to search thu vs me writing a book here.:beerchug:

Routine that I have used that worked well for me, with that said we are all different and it is about finding what works best for you.

I like a 4 day routine. I split my days into what I call pushing and pulling, push days consist of bench/chest triceps and shoulders. Pull days consist of back and biceps and was when I preferred to do legs. Abs were done on all 4 days and cardio was done on all 4 for appx 15 minutes before for a warmup.

Mock schedule

Mon- push and abs
Tues- pull, legs, abs
Wed- off
Thurs- push and abs
Fri- pull, legs, abs
Sat- off
Sun- off

As you can see each group worked was allowed a minimum of two days rest/recovery with exception of abs. Cardio was just for warmup and not run performance as too much cardio will steal gains if you are trying to build muscle/mass For each group worked I liked to do three different exercises each consisting of three sets and pushed enough weight where I was doing around 10-15 reps on the first set and would hit failure at around 6-8 reps on the third set. I also always started with largest muscle groups first. For instance if you are doing chest and triceps do the chest as your triceps will be used in that as well that way you don't burn them out and not give the larger groups the workout they need.

As for nutrition, if you want to gain muscle/mass you are going to have to eat right and consume plenty of protein. Rule of thumb I use is 1.5 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. at 200lbs you would need 300 grams protein and so on. I will say using this I added over 2 inches on upper arms while dropping just over 4 inches on my waist and maintained the same weight as when I started over a three month term.

Change your routines ocasionally so your body doesn't get used to what you're doing. Make 1 or 2 months where you do more reps (13-15) with slightly lighter weight, then change to less reps (8-10) with heavier weights. Of course your body will let you know how much weight. You should reach failure at the end of those numbers.

All of this is good advice and I have been doing this for many years off. I have been on my current work out for the last 6 months. And it does work....diet.....diet....is a good portion of it. I went from a size 32" waist to a size 29" like I was in highschool and what I did 3 years ago! Now I look almost like I did 3 years ago.... And the ladies love it when I take my shirt off. Oh and I am 33 years old making the 20 years in the gym feel bad!:cheerleader:

Ok Don, give him Jet li... hiding forum from the better half now...

Whatever you end up doing, try to remain consistent with the workout and the diet. The gains will sneak up on you that way and before you know it, you're six-pack diesel.

i dont like to use the term "diet".... if you arent eating clean then yu are wasting your time. i am on a hi carb/hi protein diet. with that being said i take in 0 fat. hi carb intake is crucial when not taking in fat. i now burn carbs and store protein. im down jsut over 12 pounds in roughly 1.5 months. whatever routine you go with in the gym, make sure u switch it up every 6-8 weeks so u dont develop muscle memory and your workouts become worthless. if your looking to shred you want to do ATLEAST 30 mins of cardio a day and a hi-intensity circuit program that allows minimal rest to keep your heart rate up and burning stored fat. low weight and hi reps in the key. there are a million different things you can do in the gym, just find the ones that you feel are most effective for you and go from there.

my meals during the week:

7am thomas whole wheat muffin wih turkey bacon, egg beaters, and low fat cheese
930am green beans with lean cut chopped sirloin round steak
12pm 1 grilled turkey burger patty made from fresh ground turkey
230pm pineapples and a protein bar
530pm protein shake (muscle milk)
730pm grilled chicken salad with a light dressing

when i eat pasta i use whole wheat pasta. same thing goes for bread... nuthin but whole wheat products. instead of using ground beef use ground turkey.... or make sur to buy 95% lean beef.

eating clean isnt hard to do but you have to be willing to make the sacrifice.....

while i'd never attempt to discourage anyone from staying in shape?...i would share this life experience as a hint of caution...

As a rough and tumble teen?...I studied martial arts...at 19 years old through my early 20's my body endured the rigors of marine corp training and years of maintaining the associated physical conditioning requirements...from age 26-32 i worked out extensively...(had dilusions of making easy money in the old chaotic tough guy matches of yesteryear)...2 hrs of weight training mon-fri followed by 3-5 mile jogs every evening of the week..at age 32?..i weighed 158 at 5'8"...could bench 350 and still cut 3 miles in less than 18 minutes...every day.

I had no professional trainer (save my old marine DI's)...at one point i was placed on 6 months suspension from the membership gym i attended for acute tendonitis and neuritis...i'm 50 now...and there's not a morning i wake up that every joint in my bod isn't racked with pain...takes me a good 1 1/2 hours every morning to get fully mobile and "with it" and i think it would take a good slow morphine drip to help me get a real full nights sleep...if i knew then what i know now?...i'd of done things differently.

I know this...wether it's lots of reps with low weight or just a few reps with heavy weight?...joint wear and tear is joint wear and tear...guns are nice to have..but sooner or later your gonna pay for'em.

jmho and l8r, Bill. :cool:

Good luck..remeber is all 80% what you put in / or dont put in your mouth. Small meals, protiens and clean carbs. Bodybuilding.com has great info for you to search thu vs me writing a book here.:beerchug:

This is Gospel. Your meals have a GREAT deal to do with your results. Just remember your body grows OUT of the gym NOT in the gym. In the gym your breaking down your tissues and OUT of the gym is when your body heals and repairs muscle tissue. Several small meals a day to stay anabolic (growing) as apose to Catabolic (body burns muscle for fuel).

The BEST time to consume protein is immediately after lifting. Take Whey protein with simple carbs. Whey protein takes 30 min. to make it's way to your muscles and simple carbs replinish glucose burned during lifting and help put protein in the muscles.

Maintain on a daily basis 1 gram of protein per lb. of body weight. ie. 200lb. guy should take 200grams of protein a day.

This is a good start. Any other question holler out. There is a TON of other nutrition and training advice to give.

Good luck and just remember to have FUN. Or you'll not likely stick to it.

I used to try to make sure to work opposing muscle groups equally.

I used to try to make sure to work opposing muscle groups equally.

There are so many dif. proven routines that I've came to the conclusion as they all seem to work if you dedicate yourself to it. ie...work oposing muscles in ea. trip to the gym or do apposing muscles the next day.( in other words pushing exercises vs. pulling exercises)

What I would do is on my pushing days (upper body)do an exercise that used multiple muscles followed by isolation exercises. ie.....Bench press followed by cable press downs and cable crossovers. There are sev. isolation exercises for ea. group.

Another GOOD tip is it's NOT the amount of time you spend in the gym but the quality time. You can get a very good workout in 45 min.

If you spend 2 hrs. in the gym your doing something wrong. (IF your goal is building muscle)

There are so many dif. proven routines that I've came to the conclusion as they all seem to work if you dedicate yourself to it. ie...work oposing muscles in ea. trip to the gym or do apposing muscles the next day.( in other words pushing exercises vs. pulling exercises)

I was just saying I tried to work them the same amount... Sometimes it was hard, because maybe the adductors were much stronger than the opposing set, all the more reason to focus on balancing them to reduce the likelihood of injury. That was and still is the case with my thighs, and likely contributes to my chronic low back pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just saying I tried to work them the same amount... Sometimes it was hard, because maybe the adductors were much stronger than the opposing set, all the more reason to focus on balancing them to reduce the likelihood of injury. That was and still is the case with my thighs, and likely contributes to my chronic low back pain.

OH... I agree with you. I hope my post didnt come across contrary. I was merely adding to your post. There are SOO many dif. routines and all have worked well for somebody. I personally don't work my lower body as hard as upper body due to my back. I NEVER do deadlifts or rows only cause of my back.:thumbsup:

OH... I agree with you. I hope my post didnt come across contrary. I was merely adding to your post. There are SOO many dif. routines and all have worked well for somebody. I personally don't work my lower body as hard as upper body due to my back. I NEVER do deadlifts or rows only cause of my back.:thumbsup:

Not at all. Just wanted to clarify. Sometimes I know I sound a little dry.
S'all good :thumbsup:

Also follow Jinkster's advice... Joints wear and tear and do not get fixed like muscle. So know yourself....be honest with yourself and do things carefully. It takes a long time to heal from Gym injuries!!!!

Back