How many electrical engineers do we have?

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Well, the time has come. I have progressed as far as I can go in my career. I have 20+ years in the electric utility industry, certifed Journeyman Lineman, 3 years Human Performance Improvement project manager, and recipient of several awards including my companies Key Contributor and Distinguished service awards. The time has come for me to return to school and get a degree. I am absolutely scared out of mind. Not about being there with younger adults, but about the courses. I am not a mathematician, but I do have an apptitude to learn. Much more so now that I am older. I doubt I would have succeeded when I was 20 simply because I would not have applied myself. I am in the process of gathering my transcripts and getting in line to have what I need to enroll. Community college for the first two years then transfer to Oklahoma State University to finish my degree. As my 40th birthday rapidly approaches, my goal is to graduate before I am 45. Is there any advice you can give me with my chosen field? This is the degree I want, and has been a personal goal for quite some time. Being married with 4 children, one of which just started her sophmore year at NSU, I have my hands full, but I guess there will never be right time and I just need to get started and get it done. My wife fully supports me and is happy I am finally getting off my rear and getting started. I will enroll to start school in the spring. Any advice at all? Also, those of you who went back to school later in life, please chime in! :please:

James, You ared doing exactly what I started 2 years ago. Same field same path. I am older than you by 6 years but no worries man. You can do it. I would suggest that you start in the fall if you can uless you need some refresher courses. I know that the schools I am going to have a very rigid course plan to follow. Most classes are only offered in certain semesters/ quarters. And the track is set for a fall start and Spring finish.
Call me brother and we can talk in depth about this.
Good luck and I look forward to chatting with you about this path you are embarking on.:cheerleader:

Good for you, that is a stiff timeline but well worth it.

You should find Electrical Engineering easy with your backgound.

James, I did my degree overseas with a different curriculum to the US, but did 4 years mechanical major, electrical minor (only a few different credits between the two) and then I did another 3 years Plant Engineering, which is general industrial manufacturing.

Never been unemployed, it took me real close to the top of the management ladder (VP for 15 years) and when I wanted less responsibility right back into Engineering. The demand for us folks keep increasing, you can't go wrong.

I started with Mercedes, but somehow ended up in food manufacturing with the big companies. Found out that no matter how tough times are, people keep eating. :laugh:

If you need help with math, applied math, calculus, just ask.

James, You ared doing exactly what I started 2 years ago. Same field same path. I am older than you by 6 years but no worries man. You can do it. I would suggest that you start in the fall if you can uless you need some refresher courses. I know that the schools I am going to have a very rigid course plan to follow. Most classes are only offered in certain semesters/ quarters. And the track is set for a fall start and Spring finish.
Call me brother and we can talk in depth about this.
Good luck and I look forward to chatting with you about this path you are embarking on.:cheerleader:

Thanks Kevin, but fall semester starts on Monday, not quite ready just yet. I spoke with my academic advisor today and the spring will work out. They are geared towards working adults. Looks like my weekends and nights will be full for a while. :banghead: I will be calling you.

Good for you, that is a stiff timeline but well worth it.

You should find Electrical Engineering easy with your backgound.

James, I did my degree overseas with a different curriculum to the US, but did 4 years mechanical major, electrical minor (only a few different credits between the two) and then I did another 3 years Plant Engineering, which is general industrial manufacturing.

Never been unemployed, it took me real close to the top of the management ladder (VP for 15 years) and when I wanted less responsibility right back into Engineering. The demand for us folks keep increasing, you can't go wrong.

I started with Mercedes, but somehow ended up in food manufacturing with the big companies. Found out that no matter how tough times are, people keep eating. :laugh:

If you need help with math, applied math, calculus, just ask.

Thank you very much, I am sure I am going to need help. All of my career and my craft has been hands on, its hard to put hands on calculus. I just need to figure how to apply it and I will be fine.

I am in the process of getting an electronics engineering degree. I do not know about later in life cause i only took a 2 year break :laugh:

I am attending ECPI University, regionally accredited and all that key stuff you need to look for in a college. Fully online and very easy on your schedule. 5 week terms are pretty nice, not too crammed either. Full time is 2 classes per 5 week term, I am currently taking one due to work and my schedule and it does not put a huge burden on me but I do not have a family to take care of also.... The holiday breaks are VERY generous by the way :laugh:. I got nearly a week off for July 4th. I can give you tons of information if you want. I have my associates degree plan if you want to see the classes required up to an associates. I can probably get a bachelors degree plan too if you would like. I am just aiming for an associates in EE right now but will pursue a bachelors. I just want a good degree under my belt.

Do you have prior college or starting from nothing?

Good luck to you. Once you get into it you should thoroughly enjoy it. I went back to school after my 2 were born and got my Associates in Business. It took me about 5 years going part time at night....and a screwed up degree plan that had to get fixed 3/4 of the way through.

My goal is to, at some point, go back and get my Bachelors. Life took a turn and I didnt have the momentum to keep going after I got my Associates. So if the career I have been in for the last 20 years folds up, back to school I go.:laugh:

I am in the process of getting an electronics engineering degree. I do not know about later in life cause i only took a 2 year break :laugh:

I am attending ECPI University, regionally accredited and all that key stuff you need to look for in a college. Fully online and very easy on your schedule. 5 week terms are pretty nice, not too crammed either. Full time is 2 classes per 5 week term, I am currently taking one due to work and my schedule and it does not put a huge burden on me but I do not have a family to take care of also.... The holiday breaks are VERY generous by the way :laugh:. I got nearly a week off for July 4th. I can give you tons of information if you want. I have my associates degree plan if you want to see the classes required up to an associates. I can probably get a bachelors degree plan too if you would like. I am just aiming for an associates in EE right now but will pursue a bachelors. I just want a good degree under my belt.

Do you have prior college or starting from nothing?

I tried the online thing for while, completed 2 semesters towards an associates degree. Fully accredited and so on, however, my last class was basic electricty, not hard by any means, but the final test had questions that were not in the class study plan, over half. With the course being revised at that given time, several failed the test with me being one of them. I appealed the grade and was basically told I would have to retake the course regardless of the reason. I wont get burnt on that deal again, and a traditional degree is what I want. Classroom environment, others to talk to and lean on with assignments.

Good luck to you. Once you get into it you should thoroughly enjoy it. I went back to school after my 2 were born and got my Associates in Business. It took me about 5 years going part time at night....and a screwed up degree plan that had to get fixed 3/4 of the way through.

My goal is to, at some point, go back and get my Bachelors. Life took a turn and I didnt have the momentum to keep going after I got my Associates. So if the career I have been in for the last 20 years folds up, back to school I go.:laugh:

I understand Rodney, but I am hoping to have my education completed before I have to make a career change.

I tried the online thing for while, completed 2 semesters towards an associates degree. Fully accredited and so on, however, my last class was basic electricty, not hard by any means, but the final test had questions that were not in the class study plan, over half. With the course being revised at that given time, several failed the test with me being one of them. I appealed the grade and was basically told I would have to retake the course regardless of the reason. I wont get burnt on that deal again, and a traditional degree is what I want. Classroom environment, others to talk to and lean on with assignments.

That can happen at any school. Happened to me back when I was at a state college. Has happened to my wife a time or two at Florida State. You always take a chance with that kind of stuff and ALWAYS be ready for that stupid professor that will do something like that.

Good luck though :beerchug:. When you are in classes don't hesitate for a second to ask anything or just for support or whatever you need. You and the rest of the mods may be always watching me :hide: but I do know a thing or two regardless of my youthful, mischievous vigor :laugh:

I hope I don't ever have to go back to school again. I had enough of that in my teens and 20s to last a lifetime. Good luck if that's what you want to do TTV.

Congrats on your decision. I did the same thing, went back to school for my BS EE after 10 years as a C-130 engine mechanic. I was a bit younger than you when I did it, but I was also married with kids as well. If you have set your mind to it and WANT this, then I am sure you will do great.

A EE degree is very flexible and will open many opportunities for you. When you get done, look up Rockwell Automation. We are always hiring EEs and have openings around the country as well as overseas.

Again congrats and good luck!
2BB

Go for it, but you might just be surprised when you finish with the time you have in your current job. You might find you're making double what a fresh out of school double E makes. Of course five years down the road or working for the government will change all of that. Best of luck my friend.

I'm kinda with ya in a way.

I have a degree in business. I also have a minor in electronics although I would consider myself a better manager than technical when it comes to being technically good at it.

I applied for an got a scholarship in Orthotics and Prosthetics. No problem I thought to myself. How hard can that be? I like building things. I have good mechnaical skills, I can get current on the electronics....should be a good transisition.......I think boldly to myself.

I get the schedule of needed pre-requistes. OK Biology makes sense. Yep Anatomy I can see. Math...hmmm that can't be that much. Physcology...OK...I can see that....Chemistry.....Really.....OK I did that before it wasn't bad. And then after that is all done I can then go to O&P. After the Pre-Reqs we get to the specialties First step Kinetic Engineering required, 2 year minimum before they will consider you. WTH is Kinetic Engineering I ask myself. Organic Chemistry...gosh that is living things stuff....I liked that before.

So I do my first semester. First day. I am the oldest, not by a little, by a lot. I'm so old my instructors are calling me Sir. Kids learn WAY more crap in HS then I was ever even close to seeing cuz they are whizzing thru Chemistry and I'm still trying to figure out why my Study Guide doesn't explain why all this math is needed for Chemistry.

Still I managed to get all A's, but I had to work my butt off to do it last semester.

So my first day in class today in Chem 2 is the wondewrful world of Endo and Exo Thermic reactions and how to figure it out by using the chemical formulas and about 12 steps of freaking Algerbra.

I'm sitting next to girls that are about as old as some of my socks, they don't wear bras, shorts the size of postage stamps and they are banging out answers while I am still trying to figure out my password to my online study guide.

Dude, do it, but do it cuz you want it, cuz it isn't anything like I thought it was gonna be.

I hope that McDonalds is still hiring if I don't soon get this soon, I'll need it.

They can kiss my carbon based ass!!!

Seriously, nothing wrong with going back to school. Explore if an EE is the best way to apply yourself cuz a lot of them are out of work these days.

When I left Aerospace, they were forcing me to get rid of older engineers and hire kids out of school, cuz we could get them at a fraction of what the experienced ones were pulling down. I didn't agree with that philosophy and I was shown I was no longer needed.

You can do this, but do it righrt cuz its hard.

The most important thing to it is take your time. I am a first grade operating engineer with 10 years experience as an EE. I also spent a lot of time in food plants all across the world designing and building food processing equipment to include full plant layouts etc. With your EE the sky is truely the limit.

Go for it, but you might just be surprised when you finish with the time you have in your current job. You might find you're making double what a fresh out of school double E makes. Of course five years down the road or working for the government will change all of that. Best of luck my friend.

I know full well what you mean. Our company does not pay engineers industry standard pay, most utilities dont. But I want options. :laugh:

I'm kinda with ya in a way.

I have a degree in business. I also have a minor in electronics although I would consider myself a better manager than technical when it comes to being technically good at it.

I applied for an got a scholarship in Orthotics and Prosthetics. No problem I thought to myself. How hard can that be? I like building things. I have good mechnaical skills, I can get current on the electronics....should be a good transisition.......I think boldly to myself.

I get the schedule of needed pre-requistes. OK Biology makes sense. Yep Anatomy I can see. Math...hmmm that can't be that much. Physcology...OK...I can see that....Chemistry.....Really.....OK I did that before it wasn't bad. And then after that is all done I can then go to O&P. After the Pre-Reqs we get to the specialties First step Kinetic Engineering required, 2 year minimum before they will consider you. WTH is Kinetic Engineering I ask myself. Organic Chemistry...gosh that is living things stuff....I liked that before.

So I do my first semester. First day. I am the oldest, not by a little, by a lot. I'm so old my instructors are calling me Sir. Kids learn WAY more crap in HS then I was ever even close to seeing cuz they are whizzing thru Chemistry and I'm still trying to figure out why my Study Guide doesn't explain why all this math is needed for Chemistry.

Still I managed to get all A's, but I had to work my butt off to do it last semester.

So my first day in class today in Chem 2 is the wondewrful world of Endo and Exo Thermic reactions and how to figure it out by using the chemical formulas and about 12 steps of freaking Algerbra.

I'm sitting next to girls that are about as old as some of my socks, they don't wear bras, shorts the size of postage stamps and they are banging out answers while I am still trying to figure out my password to my online study guide.

Dude, do it, but do it cuz you want it, cuz it isn't anything like I thought it was gonna be.

I hope that McDonalds is still hiring if I don't soon get this soon, I'll need it.

They can kiss my carbon based ass!!!

Seriously, nothing wrong with going back to school. Explore if an EE is the best way to apply yourself cuz a lot of them are out of work these days.

When I left Aerospace, they were forcing me to get rid of older engineers and hire kids out of school, cuz we could get them at a fraction of what the experienced ones were pulling down. I didn't agree with that philosophy and I was shown I was no longer needed.

You can do this, but do it righrt cuz its hard.

I know its hard, but I want this really bad. Thank you for the insight, I was afraid it may be like that.

Back