BLOWN HEAD GASKET

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Looks like I may have a blown head gasket.

The bike has a Velocity Stage 2 Turbo, Water Injection and a Spacer Plate for lowered Compression.

Do you have any pointers for me?

Is there anything else that should be addressed (different bolts, etc.)?

What should I torque the head bolts at?

Any input you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cecil

Are you using a copper gasket? I had to use one on my supercharged Gixxer 11, the stock ones just couldn't handle the boost.......
I've never owned a turbo bike, just thought it might be relevant.

Torqueing the head down to 9 million pounds only hides the true problem .... no need for other bolts

Call me

I am gonna use a good bead of permatex and a couple heavy duty zip-ties... should hold just fine.
wink.gif

I blew one and we went back with a stock gasket at stock torque...Kevin said 45pds of torque was the number I needed...However I have not had a problem since...

what gary said. Resurface the mating surfaces. No matter how perfect they look.

I don't personally think studs are as necessary as many believe. But they definitely don't hurt.

Check very carefully for signs of detonation. Head gasket issues are either badly torqued head, previously damaged mating surfaces, severe overheating, or most likely, detonation. If there was detonation, it may happen again (or something worse). Make sure the engine is tuned well, and that you're running reasonable boost levels for your situation.

I don't have any help unfortunately but I do have a comment. Why do people go turbo? It seems like every person on the board I have seen add a turbo imediately starts in with the "SH*T is blown" threads. Oh well who am I to talk, mine is mostly factory and the tranny is F'd up.
laugh.gif

I don't have any help unfortunately but I do have a comment. Why do people go turbo? It seems like every person on the board I have seen add a turbo imediately starts in with the "SH*T is blown" threads. Oh well who am I to talk, mine is mostly factory and the tranny is F'd up.
laugh.gif
ride one some time.  Then you won't wonder.  
biggrin.gif
I'm sure it's fun but at the expense of how much down time and money with the continual problems?

Looks like you live close to me, you offering yours up for a test drive?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
ride one some time. Then you won't wonder.
biggrin.gif
I'm sure it's fun but at the expense of how much down time and money with the continual problems?

rock.gif
laugh.gif
sure, you can ride the drag bike. As soon as I finish converting the front end over.

You can't hurt that thing.....

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
ride one some time.  Then you won't wonder.  
biggrin.gif

rock.gif
laugh.gif
sure, you can ride the drag bike.  As soon as I finish converting the front end over.

You can't hurt that thing.....
This sounds promising!
smile.gif

laugh.gif

Just like Ryan said...Ride one and you'll understand...Any build has the potential to cost you time/$...

Just like Ryan said...Ride one and you'll understand...Any build has the potential to cost you time/$...
aint that true....find me a 300HP NA busa that is stock reliable.

They don't exist for two obvious reasons....without NOS, you ain't getting that much HP, and even if you could, it would be so far out on the edge, it would probably make a turbo look damn good!

aint that true....find me a 300HP NA busa that is stock reliable.  

They don't exist for two obvious reasons....without NOS, you ain't getting that much HP, and even if you could, it would be so far out on the edge, it would probably make a turbo look damn good!
I agree your not going to get 300hp naturally aspirated but what about supercharger vs turbo?
rock.gif

Back