Blown head gasket

shean1

Registered
Blown head gasket on my truck Need input please

So I have coolant mixing with my oil on my 1997 Ford Expedition, 5.4 liter.
Truck has 147,000 miles, has never over heated and has always been maintained and run very well. Water pump and timing chain are newer… Rather than springing for the major repair of having the head gasket done her in NYC which will run plenty of cash im considering trying an engine additive called “Thermagasketâ€￾ just to put off the repair at least a few months.
Can anyone that has tried this product chime in with there experience…

Thanks.

???

Thermagasket web site: "for reference"
RxAuto Head Gasket Repair | Blown Head Gasket | Call 1-866-780-9042

Last edited:
Sounds like less problems now but more problems later. Best to have heads pulled and assess what needs to be done, then repair properly, together with servicing and cleaning the cooling system. Once you had water in the oil, other problems may have developed also.

Those older 5.4 had a Habit of popping the head gaskets, best to pull the heads make sure they are not burned or out of spec, or you might have to get em milled down.

Bit the bullet, that pour in stuff I have never seen work, just makes more of a mess later on.

:snap: check out the Ads by google picture... prayers answered head.jpg

head.jpg

Last edited:
Continue to drive.
Change oil alot.
Change coolant alot.

Drove for 2 years doing that with old dodge 318,just to see how long it would run.
After 2 years of that,I sold it,told the guy what I had been doing,and still got 500 bucks for it.:laugh:

RSD.

Continue to drive.
Change oil alot.
Change coolant alot.

Drove for 2 years doing that with old dodge 318,just to see how long it would run.
After 2 years of that,I sold it,told the guy what I had been doing,and still got 500 bucks for it.:laugh:

RSD.

The truck itself is in very good condition, I maintain it , breaks new, tires new, body good, satalite radio, new suspension...room for the wife and 5 kids, it has been a good family mover that has done my annual drives from NYC down to soulth florida every year no problems. So im thinking, do what I can to go atleast a few months while I prepair to eilther have the headgasket done OR I was even looking into dropping another motor in.. I reaserched a company called Jasper that would have a motor for my with a 3 year 100k warranty... In this economy i do my best to stay away from car notes...

Shean

Do you have any buds with tech skills? Do a compression test,that will tell you which side is blown.Then just lift that head,slide in new gasket and :please:

Sometimes works,sometimes doesnt.If the gasket is blown between the combustion chamber and a water jacket,yer odds are pretty good.:thumbsup:

If the head is cracked,yer fugged.:banghead:

RSD.

Do you have any buds with tech skills? Do a compression test,that will tell you which side is blown.Then just lift that head,slide in new gasket and :please:

Sometimes works,sometimes doesnt.If the gasket is blown between the combustion chamber and a water jacket,yer odds are pretty good.:thumbsup:

If the head is cracked,yer fugged.:banghead:

RSD.

My tech skills are limited,( not to mention no garage and its like 25 degrees her in NYC right now) but the mechanic that works on my cars is pretty good, and he knows I know enough not to get ripped off so he wouldnt try.. He already knows that im never paying the first price he ever piches me for any work. in addition I always purchase my own parts for him to install.. For me the timing of the repair is just not the greatest.. I would definitly consider just changing the motor a few months into the new year so that on long road trips with the family im not worrying about a break down far from home... cant beat a 3 year 100K waranty... (jasper motors)

My tech skills are limited,( not to mention no garage and its like 25 degrees her in NYC right now) but the mechanic that works on my cars is pretty good, and he knows I know enough not to get ripped off so he wouldnt try.. He already knows that im never paying the first price he ever piches me for any work. in addition I always purchase my own parts for him to install.. For me the timing of the repair is just not the greatest.. I would definitly consider just changing the motor a few months into the new year so that on long road trips with the family im not worrying about a break down far from home... cant beat a 3 year 100K waranty... (jasper motors)

I agree,wifes jeep motor had a melt down. A new motor is not that much more than one from a wreaker. Up here,new engine installed 4 g's,3 yr warranty. Used motor was less,but then you gotta re/re yerself or pay 90 bucks an hour to have what installed....another motor on its last legs.???

Hope it works out for ya.

RSD.

Sounds like less problems now but more problems later. Best to have heads pulled and assess what needs to be done, then repair properly, together with servicing and cleaning the cooling system. Once you had water in the oil, other problems may have developed also.

+1

the mechanics i work with say that product will gum up everywhere in the motor and it won't hold the pressures that are put on the head gasket. Fix it right the first time and you don't have to worry about anything in the future

Back