Blipping the throttle?

SLO MO

Registered
OK track masters got a question for you, I know the concept behind blipping the throttle, I have never done it but haven't had a track day. So I want to practice it for a future visit to the track but my question is outside of a track day is the technique needed or beneficial on the streets?

With slipper clutches would this help with not necessarily having to be on the money with engine speed vs gear? You get a little hop but that's it, I don't ride like I stole it so just curious how often the blipping masters use the technique everyday and has it just become muscle memory? :bowdown:

I have blipped the throttle bewteen shifts both up and down for more than 25 years now, every down shift and upshift..... I always use the clutch although I can shift without it...
The up shift just became habbit and is not nearly as important as when going down through the gearbox.
I got accustomed to always having bikes with headers and always loved the sound of a well executed shift.....

Just my two cents..

You can upshift too, the "blipping of the throttle" helps some folks find the right rpm for each shift. It's more of a preference.

Never liked clutchless shifting on a streetbike, although it's the norm for dirtbikes (and evidently trackbikes). Definitely not worth the cost of a tranny teardown, shift-forks, and gears with worn dogs on the street.

You're probably already "blipping the throttle" when you're riding, but you may not recognize that you're doing it. It all comes very naturally and is part of "smooth riding". Kind of like how many people don't understand countersteering until it's explained to them, and then they realize that's what they've been doing. The difference is awareness. Once you understand the concepts and consciously apply the techniques, you can do more and better than you could before. My 2 cents.

This is a good question but it takes a lot of writing to explain the pros and cons of the "blip" and clutchless shifting vs using the clutch. However, starting the bike moving forward is one time when you need to use the clutch.:thumbsup:

Never liked clutchless shifting on a streetbike, although it's the norm for dirtbikes (and evidently trackbikes). Definitely not worth the cost of a tranny teardown, shift-forks, and gears with worn dogs on the street.

You're probably already "blipping the throttle" when you're riding, but you may not recognize that you're doing it. It all comes very naturally and is part of "smooth riding". Kind of like how many people don't understand countersteering until it's explained to them, and then they realize that's what they've been doing. The difference is awareness. Once you understand the concepts and consciously apply the techniques, you can do more and better than you could before. My 2 cents.

When I'm down shifting for a turn (let's 5th heading for a 2nd gear corner) I check speed and sound, apply even brakes, grab clutch and go down to the correct gear, let out clutch before beginning of turn then gradually start rolling on the throttle thru the apex and exit of the corner.

It's become a habbit I use it when downshifting in the dirt and on the street. I use the clutch 99% of the time when upshifting on the street and 100% of the time downshifting. On the dirt I only use the clutch for the first two gears upshifting and all the time down shifting.

Blipping the throttle is to match the engine revs to that of the new gear. You want to blip before you release the clutch lever in your example. Slipper clutches prevent the rear wheel lock up that can theoretically happen if you drop too many gears too fast. Blipping the throttle on an upshift is pointless, but it sounds way cool. Clutchless shifting will not hurt the trans if you do it correctly. Stomp her down into first at 150 mph, and ya, you will have issues, but drop a gear or two without the clutch won't hurt anything.

On the dirt I only use the clutch for the first two gears upshifting and all the time down shifting.
And the clutch serves as a wonderful "torque converter" to keep your engine in the power band and control in the soft stuff.

Blipping the throttle on an upshift is pointless, but it sounds way cool.
Never thought of it that way. More like bad technique (unless you're keeping the engine in the power band - see torque converter comment above - pretty needless on a horsepower monster like the Busa!)

Practice blipping with the bike on the stands - engine of course OFF. It takes a bit more practice to get the physical part of a) braking with your right hand (fingers) b) snapping the throttle open with the same hand and NOT further pulling in the brake and c) working the clutch and gear foot all in one motion, than it does to match the rpms to your speed.

If you ever go to a track you'll see that it is very important to blip on downshifts! One of my bikes was born without a slipper clutch so its a way of life for me.

There was an article on this very subject in the March issue of Sport Rider.

right, stoplights. motorcycle transmissions are fundamentally different than automotive transmissions. they're built to run clutchless
My track instructor and many others will completely disagree. Downshifting clutchless is a good way to tear your shid up.

right,
. motorcycle transmissions are fundamentally different than automotive transmissions. they're built to run clutchless

Most riders cannot execute the clutchless shift correctly or smooth enough,
hell most riders hardly know what their bikes can really do out on the road, with the exception of the guys that LOVE to ride really fast in a straight line...

If you dont have an air shifter or other similar devices to ensure safe cluthless shifts give it some time, you will be having that tranny opened up...When you do have to have that tranny rebuilt and or serviced, go with back cut gears for silky smooth future shifts... My busa does not currently have back cut gears but my ZX11 had back cut gears and so did my three bikes before that..
ZX1000R, FJ1200 (turbo) gsxr100..

As always, to each his own....

Back