What the -blip- is "blip"?

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
When I downshift (and please don't start a new thread about downshifting is bad) I ease on the brakes, pull in the clutch, kick it down a gear, and smoothly release the clutch.

A dude at work told me I should "blip" the throttle when I'm braking to match the engine speed. I know motorcycle racers pop their wrist back when they're coming up on a sharp turn ... is that blipping? If so, what exactly is being done? I mean in terms of hands and feet, what is being done?

smileyexhibit.gif

My blip is: roll off quick to release pressure to ALLOW downshift, then back on to higher RPM to match new gear even quicker WHILE downshifting clutchlessly. is that a word: clutchlessly? It is now

What's a clutch? ? ?

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116041599 -->

My blip is:  roll off quick to release pressure to ALLOW downshift, then back on to higher RPM to match new gear even quicker WHILE downshifting clutchlessly.   is that a word:  clutchlessly?  It is now

What's a clutch? ? ?
I was told by many people on another forum that downshifting clutchless will weaken then transmission to the point where the bike will slip out of gear. Its okay to upshift, but not downshift.This is not my opinion, I'm merely repeating what I was told.
----------------------------------------
Aside from that, if you are flicking your wrist back to a higher rpm, wouldn't the bike lunge forward since you never touched the clutch?

You have to get proficient with blipping the throttle on down shifts, it takes some practice to get it down and be smooth when you do it. Even with the type of slipper clutch that our bike has if you were to say down shift 2 gears going into a corner and did not blip the throttle the back tire would skid for a split second until the engine RPM matched the tire speed.

As you ride more you will find out what we are talking about and understand it better.

When I downshift (and please don't start a new thread about downshifting is bad) I ease on the brakes, pull in the clutch, kick it down a gear, and smoothly release the clutch.

A dude at work told me I should "blip" the throttle when I'm braking to match the engine speed. I know motorcycle racers pop their wrist back when they're coming up on a sharp turn ... is that blipping? If so, what exactly is being done? I mean in terms of hands and feet, what is being done?

smileyexhibit.gif
The whole idea is to match rpms of the engine to the new gear. Seems you do everything right, and it seems that when you release the clutch your rpm's match pretty well, otherwise you would've noticed.

From that, I also assume that you downshift at pretty low rpms to begin with.

If you downshift at let's say 7k, and just ease on the clutch without blipping the throttle, you would feel the bike lurching back. That's because the rpm should be let's say 8.5k for that lower gear to sustain the same bike's speed, but nothing brought the engine speed to that rpm range.

Generally, it's a good habit to blip the throttle (1/8 - 1/4 quick turn, and then back) just before you engage the clutch back.

Another way of doing it is to just leave the throttle at whatever position it is in (assuming you are on the gas, not completely closed). Ease the clutch just a touch, so the revs go just a bit up (load on gears is reduced), then click it down, and release the clutch, and then crack the throttle open just a bit to increas the rpms for the new gear.

Yet another way (clutchless), is to do the following at the same time (assumption is you are on the gas): quickly close the throttle a little, and click it down, and immediately open the throttle back up, and even a bit more.

I personally use regular technique, as there is simply no need most of the time to do anything more advanced. However, I do practice other methods consistently, and once in a while it comes handy.

The key in all those exercises is to make any shifts smooth regardless of the method, with the least bang on the tranny.

Practice whatever you feel works for you better, and you will feel when it's done right.

Yup...what they said.
cool.gif

It's just a way to lower the gear you're in without upsetting the suspension or losing traction due to the rear wheel skidding. This is especially handy if you're trying to downshift while you're leaned over in a turn. Although, normally, you would want to have all of your braking and downshifting done BEFORE the turn so all you have to do is adjust the throttle to change your line through the turn.

If you hold your throttle steady, you'll notice your RPMs jump up about 1k when you pull the clutch lever. That's about all you need for most street riding. If your on a track, or just wanting to drag some serious knee, you'd want to (brake/clutch/downshift/blip the throttle up about 1/4) all before you enter the turn. The more you practice it, the more natural it'll be. Just remember, perfect practice makes perfect. Practice just make it permenant.

beerchug.gif

The bottom lin is there is no real good eason for down shifting with out the clutch. Up shifting yes. You do not gain anything going down and yes if not done correct you can hurt the geas going down not up.

Learning how to downshift smoothly with the 'blip' is nice for 2 up riding. It would be annoying for your passenger to be lurching back and forth, banging into your helmet.

It is enjoyable and worthwhile to develop the technique. Throttle finesse on the Busa is much more critical than any other bike I have ridden, and this is good practice. Besides, it is really satisfying to make that downshift imperceptible with a good blip.
biggrin.gif

This is also the same thing you do, say when driving an 18 wheeler and shifting. (If you've ever done that) Of course you also double big trucks....which I am pretty sure is useless on a bike!
smile.gif
But then again, after being in the truck for a few weeks, I used to double clutch my Acura too!
rock.gif

Learning how to downshift smoothly with the 'blip' is nice for 2 up riding. It would be annoying for your passenger to be lurching back and forth, banging into your helmet.

It is enjoyable and worthwhile to develop the technique. Throttle finesse on the Busa is much more critical than any other bike I have ridden, and this is good practice. Besides, it is really satisfying to make that downshift imperceptible with a good blip.
biggrin.gif
Smooth clutching is not bad either.
wow.gif

My blip is:  roll off quick to release pressure to ALLOW downshift, then back on to higher RPM to match new gear even quicker WHILE downshifting clutchlessly.   is that a word:  clutchlessly?  It is now

What's a clutch? ? ?
I have some days where I drive less clutchlessly then others. Is that redundant? Less clutchlessly? Or should I have said clutchlesser?
rock.gif

Cordinating a Blip after the clutch is pulled, shift the release clutch. Shifting to a lower gear has less clunk.
Double down shifting takes two blips. Clutch depressed, blip, gear shift, still holding clutch another blip, gear shift.

Big debate is when to blip. Blip after the clutch is pulled and before shifting gear. Or Blip after the clutch is pulled and after gear shifting but before releasing the clutch.

Back