Trottle blipping downshifting help

wedgester

Registered
For the guys who do it how is it done? Ive read articles and still not sure I undersatnd it. Are you blipping the throttle when u are releasing the clutch lever of course u have already downshifted with your foot or are u blipping at a different time. Im trying to learn this and im not sure if im doing it correctly.

What your doing is bringing the revs up to match your speed in the gear your in. Most people just close the throttle and down shift then let out the clutch (WRONG
sad.gif
 if your going too fast for the downshift without any throttle) , you blip or add just a little throttle and at nearly the same time let the clutch out ! It will make for a smooth transition down in gears without that lurch or wheel hop you can get if your going too fast for the down shift without any throttle. You'll have to practice and it will come with feel because too much throttle and the bike will lurch forward, too little and you'll get a braking action with a toss forward and probably a minor (hopefully not a major) rear wheel hop !  
wink.gif

yup -- gotta get a feel for it --
practice practice practice
Pretty important too as the Busa does not like to be downshifted when stopped

What DaCol said--- I would like to add a comment too.......When really hauling the mail----It is mandatory to blip the throttle while downshifting to match rpm with the next lower gear. But to save some wear and tear-- with street riding --coming to a red light etc. slowing down gently--
Going from 6th on down----just pull in the clutch and hold it in -and as your speed decreases- just click it down one by one as your slowing and finally 1st just about the time you stop.. all without blipping the throttle. While just using the brakes---Might even get more milage out of a rear tire too.

An alternate method is to back off the throttle a bit to synch the rev's. This works well shifting up or down.

Yep-you got it--and practice the technique. Soon it will be smooth and natural.

+1 on DaCol's description.

I blip all the time but ESPECIALLY on the track!!! Busa doesn't have a back torque limiting clutch/slipper clutch so if you downshift and release clutch too fast, you'll get major rear wheel chatter and possibly highside if you're not careful.

practice!! Coming to corner or stop, let off throttle, apply brakes, pull in clutch, downshift, blip+release simultaneously. The key is to be AS SMOOTH AS POSSIBLE and to have it become second nature.

Once you get it, try this technique while braking.

I don't let the clutch engage fully after a blip (slight slipping) when banging multiple downshifts; kind of simulating the slipper clutch really. gt is right though, the challenging part is braking and blipping at the same time. I actually find it easier to blip under very hard braking (as opposed to lighter braking like you do when coming to a stop light).

pr

Check this link out for more:

http://www.superbikeschool.com

Keith code's California Superbike School. There's a section that has Keith's columns and one of them talks about blipping and downshifting and braking+blipping.

Very informative!!!

I don't let the clutch engage fully after a blip (slight slipping) when banging multiple downshifts; kind of simulating the slipper clutch really.  gt is right though, the challenging part is braking and blipping at the same time.  I actually find it easier to blip under very hard braking (as opposed to lighter braking like you do when coming to a stop light).

pr
+1!!

I only use index and middle covering the clutch always. I don't use the full range of disengagment (i.e. lever to the grips). When I engage the clutch, I let off a little slower too. Gives the engine time to match revs. Blipping helps to smooth it out a little.

Good point PR111

BTW-TRACK: I never use the clutch on upshifts. I just let off a little and bang an upshift.

Street: I use clutch but only disengage till lever hits my ring finger.

Back