Bike won't start

javie

Registered
So basically I bought a corvette 2 weeks ago and since then I haven't ridden my bike at all. I went out to the garage today to take it for a spin and it refuses to start. It's not flashing any codes at all, the fuel pump primes, the starter cranks, it's trying to start, back fires a bit, but won't start. I put a new battery/plugs in it recently. It's an 03 with about 16k miles on it. I was low on gas so I walked to the gas station and grabbed about a gallon. I pulled out all of the plugs and it looks like there it some oil residue on them (no clue why) so I cleaned them all with a wire brush and some cleaning stuff. I literally drained the battery trying to start it before I pulled the wires so it's on the trickle charger so I won't try it til the battery is back to 100%.

Any suggestions on what to check? Could my throttle bodies be so far out of sync that it won't start? I'm kinda lost on this one. Thanks!

If the bike ran with no problems before the 2 week desertion
laugh.gif
then I would say it's the battery.

Heh hey the vette has a rebuilt engine I couldn't leave it sit I had to break it in. Driving slow kinda sux so I went back to the busa
sad.gif

Before I stopped riding it, it'd start kinda weird. Take a bit to start up and I normally had to fast idle to start it, and would take a few tries to start.

Let us know how it does after the battery is charged.

Hm k battery is fully charged tried starting it and nothing. It's cranking up, feels like a few of the cylinders are firing but the engine won't run. Its not cranking slow like it used to before I changed the battery though. It's cranking nice and good.

The tip over sensor won't let it crank at all with it?

About the same, I did a complete tune up on it when I installed the new battery. I was thinking the throttle bodies might be all kinds of off. I've never sync'd them before and I've had it for a year and the person who owned it before me didn't take too good care of it, the fluids were all nasty when I got it so i'm assuming he never sync'd them either. I suppose I should try and test for current for each of the plugs next

Pull the plugs and see if there is fuel getting to them. Not the best mechanic, but sounds like it's not getting a good enough spark. Several reasons why that could be, but start with the easy stuff.

do me a favor and check your compression in your post in post # 6 of this thread you stated its cranking faster then usual. Pull the plugs and do a compression check in each cylinder and post back your findings and we will go from there.
thumb_up.gif

do me a favor and check your compression in your post in post # 6 of this thread you stated its cranking faster then usual. Pull the plugs and do a compression check in each cylinder and post back your findings and we will go from there.
thumb_up.gif
I think you read that wrong. A few months ago the engine started cranking really slow so I ended up buying a new battery and it started cranking faster (than the slow crank) but it cranks at a normal speed (like when i just bought it)

yah sorry i misread. Chec the compression anyway and check your spark if your getting fuel then i would say check spark. It only needs fuel and spark to run your obviously not getting one.

No compression gauge, but I have to run up to the auto parts store anyhow later might as well pick one up. I'll be back in a few gunna go check each one for spark.

Hm k so I pulled each spark plug and checked for spark, all of them sparked, even got electrocuted a little bit. Gas shot out of each cylinder when each plug was removed so we have fuel.

Alright it dawned on me that when I was testing the plugs one of them was being a lil $hit and sometimes sparked sometimes didn't. I decided to try and gas the bike while jump starting it from my truck and OMG it started, but alas one of the cylinders wasn't firing and ew the sound from an engine without a cylinder running is horrible, even more horrible cuz its my busa
sad.gif
how would you go about testing the spark plug boots? and how much do those cost?

Back