Bike will not start - need help

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
So I replaced the battery thinking of course that was the reason I was just hearing "click" when I tried to start the bike after sitting for the winter and then a little bit on the battery tender. Now with a fresh new battery I still get "click". I can see the lights come on, the fuel pump sounds like its priming and then just click when I press the starter. I thought perhaps the alarm was all fouled up so I unplugged it....still same thing so I just ripped into the thing. I found what is clicking but I have no clue what it is nor if its the culprit or perhaps just a symptom.

any help would be hugely appreciated :thumbsup:

Here's the thing, I did check the fuse, the 30A fuse is good that is in it. I'm stumped.

thisisbad.jpg

thisisbad2.jpg

The click is the selenoid. Usually a selenoid click with no starter means the battery is dead as you surmised. If the new battery is found to be good the first thing I would check is the continuity of the leads/cables coming off the battery. Next check the kickstand sensor but not sure if the selenoid would fire if it were any of the cut off sensors tip over, kick stand etc.

+1

New batteries usually need an overnight charge on low AMPs for optimal performance. I charge mine for like a day at 1 AMP :laugh:

I'll have to dig out my voltmeter and check it .... guy at the dealer said it was a gel battery and was good to go out of the box.... thoughts?

If your battery has a full charge check the wiring from the solenoid to the starter.
Posted via Mobile Device

well after finally running out of time and patience for screwing with it to figure it out.... I took it to the dealer. Took them a couple of days to get to it, which was fine since I was out of town :) and it turned out to be a bad/worn ground line between the switch and the starter solenoid (I think thats where it was). At any rate it was a bad ground and $56 later the busa runs just fine again, more importantly it starts up like she was new again :cheerleader:

Yeah that's super cheap. They usually charge $100+ for labor, and $80+ just for looking at it to decide if they need to work on it or not. (if it's simple fix, $80 + parts)

Back