Bike week - worst ever?

PS how about we outlaw alchohol <alcohol> and see how fewer accidents we have..
Umm . . .  
I think they tried that . . .
Something called PROHIBITION . . .
Didn't work out to well.
Although it gave us NASCAR & the MOB
biggrin.gif

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1372"|1142361586 -->

+1 to that!!! wear your lid, there is a reason why they make them....

I spent 48 hours there this weekend and slept about 6 hours total - daytona was rocking this year and most of the riding frankly s!cks...crawling down main street in the heat for hours is not fun. Watching the crowds and checking out the races and vendor stuff was very cool however and we simply rode away fromn town mornings, hung out in the frey during the day, and rode again evenings.

Seemed like every other person was drunk and pounding $2 beers as fast as they could...then...they would decide to ride to the other side of towns bar without a helmet on. Unreal. u want to stay off the roads.
The non-bike riders were hitting it just as hard. Makes Personally I love beer but will not have more than 1 within an hour of riding my bike. You need reflexes and balance to survive on these things and 2 seconds of lack of discipline and you are gator food down here.

BTW- LOTS of nice stretched Busas around with 300 rear ends and I got to see the bikes in the flesh. good time.

Fallen bikers RIP....so sad....most of them innocent bystanders

Gee, Spring Break for motorcyclists.  Super!

It's a shame.  Some people overdoing it, riding without protection, drunk...  Then the innocents, caught in the crossfire (or, being hit from behind).

RIP for the fallen.  Let's see if that wakes up the Florida lawmakers (I'm sure that will be lots of fun!
sad.gif
 )

Every wreck I read about was a new Harley owner losing control in a turn and no helmet. I rode 400 miles out there and back hualing f-ing balls out and no problems. I don't know how you control a bike with your arms and legs fully stretched out in front of you. Every sign I passed: Bikers! welcome! Ice cold beer!

-good idea.

for those that sound suprised that their was some drinkning during bike week... wtf did you think was going on?
I hope you all return to slam the activities at Sturgis, Myrtle beach, Arizona and Black Bike Week (yes there is one) this summer...and every other major bike event.
mad.gif

It was great weather there...MORE people than ever were prolly there....so yup, it going to happen.

Ponder this... consider all the MC related deaths accross the country in a 2 week time period. Take roughly 30,000~50,000 people at Daytona.....of all types...harleys, touring, and sportbikes....then consider a mere 18 deaths?

Even at 30K bikers... that's a .0006% mortality rate.

Yes, death is always sad for someone....but come on! There's too many facts the paper leaves out...like whether or not a cager ran a red light and took out 5 bikers at once.
All I am saying is let's not get all "motherly" and spouting M.A.D.D. slogans just because you ASSUME the reason for the deaths.

I am not advocating drunken riding...by any stretch...I just hate it when people start making ASSumptions about others and their situations when they themselves have no clue.

Yes RIP for those that met with misfortune while at Daytona...but you know they went doing what they loved most.

Here's a quote from a local paper....take note of the parts in <span style='color:red'>RED.</span>
FHP: Bike Week 2006 deadliest in 65 years, with 18 deaths

The Associated Press
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Bike Week 2006 is the deadliest since the event began 65 years ago, with 18 motorcyclists dying in the past eight days, according to Florida Highway Patrol.

Three bikers died in separate accidents Saturday, and four more died Friday, spokeswoman Trooper Kim Miller said.

This year's deaths surpass the 15 deaths recorded in 2000, previously the most deadly Bike Week on record.

Authorities confirmed that a biker who died in Seminole County early Saturday, Richard Highsmith, 43, of Orlando, <span style='color:red'>was returning home from Bike Week</span>. Brian Rooke, 44, of West Palm Beach, died Saturday afternoon after hitting a guardrail. Another biker whose identity was not immediately released died at about 7 p.m. in Ormond Beach.

"We still have a day and a half to go and the last weekend is typically the busiest with more activities," Miller said.

Authorities attributed the spike in deaths to the sunny weather, which caused a rise in Bike Week attendance.

<span style='color:red'>The number of alcohol related deaths dipped this year, and helmet use was up, Miller said.</span>

Walter Fliss, 51, of St. Cloud, <span style='color:red'>had just bought his motorcycle when he crashed into a construction sight and died around 11:30 p.m</span>. Friday, authorities said. Jason P. Perron, 21, of Apopka; David H. Hudson, 63, of Lake Wales and another unidentified biker also died Friday night.

At least 14 of the 18 bikers who have died were Florida residents, Miller said.

Bike Week, which <span style='color:red'>brings thousands of bikers from around the country to Daytona,</span> continues through Sunday. Eight motorcycle-related deaths were reported during last year's event.
[/QUOTE]

<!--EDIT|BusaCruise
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142379768 -->

NO helmet law in Florida.  I went to bike week a couple times and there is 1 helmet for every 50 without.  More bikes fewer helmets means more deaths.   There is also a big push for harsher laws when a car does kill a biker.  Was reading about that too.
Actually, Florida does have a helmet law. Basically 21 & under must wear a helmet. Over 21 must have medical insurance to ride without a helmet.

Helmet laws link

<!--EDIT|Poppy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142398897 -->

I heard all but 6 of the deaths were collisions with cages. People just dont watch for bikes. I was there Thursday and Friday and traffic was the worst I have seen it and I have lived here for over 35 years.

Every wreck I read about was a new Harley owner losing control in a turn and no helmet. I rode 400 miles out there and back hualing f-ing balls out and no problems. I don't know how you control a bike with your arms and legs fully stretched out in front of you. Every sign I passed: Bikers! welcome! Ice cold beer!  

-good idea.
+1 - to a point

I haven't been to a bike week in many years - but when I went last Saturday, I saw an incredible lack of the most basic riding skills - the ability to put the bike where you want it, under control, without jerking it, walking it or horsing it there.  Many of these guys couldn't pull away from parked with the rear wheel against the curb without weaving all over 2 lanes and walking it 30 yards - and this was at noon, hopefully before all the beer took hold.

All I can guess is that the proportion of novice riders is WAYYYY up, especially in my (45-55) age group (our reflexes aren't what they used to be, but we won't admit it - not to mention our motor skills).  

I read somewhere that the number of bikes sold in the last 3 years is greater than the 10 years prior.  Apparently dealers are happy to take the cash and let them ride away without any concern - in fact, last Oct, in a Honda dealership near Ft Lauderdale, I overheard a guy with NO experience and no MC endorsement drop $22K on a new Gold Wing, to be delivered to his house.  How many of the bike week fatalities fit this model?  Big cruiser, little to no experience, in an incredibly challenging environment (nice weather = lots of bikes, cars, beers and people not familiar with the roads) results in disaster.

I agree with race24x.It should be my choice whether i want to wear a helmet or not.
I agree and disagree. You have to admit that there are some stupid people out there and sometimes laws need to be enforced to protect them from themselves.
Having stated that "some" riders should have the choice. Those w/ experience (own a registered motorcycle, current license for at least the past year, over ~21, etc.) should have a choiuce. And maybe first time riders and those between 16-20 years old required to wear helmets.

Just a theory.

Ponder this... consider all the MC related deaths accross the country in a 2 week time period.  Take roughly 30,000~50,000 people at Daytona.....of all types...harleys, touring, and sportbikes....then consider a mere 18 deaths?
I saw an estimate somewhere that stated near a 500,000 estimated attendance for Daytona this year.

No rain = 10 days of good riding compared to the 7-8 days of riding from the previous couple of years.

In all, the odds were stacked in the favor of having more accidents and fatalities this year. It's typicial media coverage, make it look as bad as possible.

Too many inexperienced riders buying these hyper bikes and trying to do what they see the pros doing.

-good idea.
I passed the under 500cc course with a perfect score on my softail with 16" bars and 5" extended forward controls. It's not the bikes ... It's knowing how to ride them

Back