Bike is tuff to start hot..

cerebusa

Registered
Hi, the bike starts easy and correctly when cold. But when its hot after a ride it is tuff to start. It will turn over great but wont start, sometimes will kick back like a timing problem?? New battery, cleaned injectors and waxed bike. I know the waxing had nothing to do with anything just saying. Anyone have any Ideas.. Thanks, Mike :banghead:

What year? How hot, IE: temps outside.

After riding how long?

Is it hard to start if you only run it up to operating temp, then shut it down and try to start it again, like a quick trip to the store?

Or is this after riding several hours, hot as hell outside, blistering heat rising from under the plastics, stop to take a break and it's hard to start?

Last edited:
you might have to flush your cooling system. I had that same problem flush my cooling sytem and had no other issues.
Good Luck

Temp reads normal, after up to operating temp if you stop say 5 min or so no probs will crank right up. If she sets for 30 min or longer wont start right away. Its got 22000 + mi. I havnt changed plugs yet but they were done at 4000 mi, when I bought the bike.

I thought about the battery but it is only a couple of mnths old and it spins over great, it just wont fire. Then as I said sometimes itll kick back. Almost seems like a timing issue but it fires and runs great when cold or when it finally cranks hot. I did get a FI light one time weeks ago but when it was shut down and cranked later that night no idiot light and ran great still???

Mine does about the same 12k. got a mussy fan coming. Gonna look into different/better coolant during the install. Riding around 100plus temps it runs just under the tick mark. But once I stop any longer than a red light guage moves just over the tick mark. I tried to shut it off one time.. wouldn't start.. little old me. Stalled out in the middle of a 200+ bike column. SMOOTH!!

Is there a wright up bout flushing the system?
I had a flush kit water hose set up in my corolla. Could we use something like that on a bus?
Posted via Mobile Device

The battery check is a good idea, they WILL crank ok, but if the battery voltage is a little low, they'll start hard. Another thing that would be interesting to try is to hold the throttle open WIDE OPEN and see if it starts any quicker. I realize it's injected, but maybe somehow it's getting flooded after a few minutes.
Also, just for grins, check your air cleaner and make sure it's clean.
Thats about my 2 cents worth.
Good luck.

My 06 is a hard starting beast when it gets warmed up. Temp gauge never above half. It can be cool outside and will do the same thing. It turns over just fine, but just does seem to spark. Something I have to live with I guess. Has about 12k on it. Yea, don't get started about not riding it very much. I know I don't, but..... My carbed 97 Blackbird started better than the Busa.

My 02 starts hard after warm, my freinds 06 does the same thing. It will crank but not start. let it cycle and will usually start. Sometimes have to cycle through twice before starting. By cycle i meen gages and fuel pump as you hear when you turn on the ignition.

I will try that trick the next time. So just turn the key on let the gauges and fuel injectors cycle; turn key off an try again; and repeat? I'll give it a try. Can we keep this thread alive for awhile or PM some new info? Would really like to get to the bottom of this and not get embarrassed when the Fn thing don't start.

Battery tested good. Makes me feel somewhat better knowing Im not the only one out there. My 99 was always flawless starting so this is something new to me. I will try everything or anything you guys come up with, it is embarrasing. :cheerleader:

Let's be a bit logical here.

The bike cranks fine, but would not fire. So, it's not the battery.

You either don't get a spark or you don't get fuel. If there was a fuel problem, you would feel a loss of power especially under load or at high rpm. This is not happening, so this is not fuel related.

What's left is - you don't have a spark. Possible reason - your connectors start going bad. Additional evidence supporting this suspicions: 1) you got FI code momentarily; 2) poor connections are prone to pop up when the bike is subjected to vibration and/or heat; 3) your bike is 7 years old and probably has seen it's share of humidity, you probably didn't take your connectors apart for a long time.

Before you know it, you may get an engine dying momentarily while you ride.

So, I would recommend to clean all or most of your connectors. Get a can of contact cleaner and a tube of dialectric grease from an autoparts store. Open every freaking connector on the bike - including the ECU, FI (under the tank), wiring, spark plug connectors, etc. and do the following.

Look in every one of them with a flashlight and see if any grease/oil or other junk got in there. Spray the contact cleaner and let dry (a minute or two -it's drying fast). Lube both connectors with dialectric grease and close them up for good. This will take you a couple of hours, but it's the preventive maintenance time well spent.

Be careful not to break the connectors - some of them are a bit hard to open, so take your time. They were designed to not open easily.

Let us know how it goes.

One more thought, you don't have an alarm with hijack feature installed by any chance, do you? This might cut the ignition. But also because of poor connection.

Last edited:
My 05 was a hard starting beast when warm also. A slight twist of the throttle and she would fire right up. The owner's manual actually addresses this.
My gen II always fires up right away, hot or cold.

Here's a guess, Coolant temp or air temp sensor issue, if used, could be sending a signal of a very hot engine and restarts with a lean condition. It certainly could cause hot restart issues.

Back