big guys on diets?

topper

Registered
was wondering what you big guys do for diets? its so hard with my schedule to eat healthy and to exercise consistantly, so what are some ways you guys pull it off?

I started at 270...I have dropped 27lbs sonce jan 1st....I'monthe Atkins diet. I lost 11lbs in the first week....the first 2 weeks is your probation period....as little # of carbs that you can...I had about 10 carbs a day for the first 2 weeks.

I am just starting to try to pull it off. I am in the same boat as you bad food and lack of consistent exercise.

All these threads of dieting got me motivated again...that and the stupid scale saying I weigh more than ever.

Going to try smaller portions..just bought a home gym ($200 Academy). My wife has an eleptical but I get bored on that thing after 3 minutes.

Good luck

I started at 270...I have dropped 27lbs sonce jan 1st....I'monthe Atkins diet.  I lost 11lbs in the first week....the first 2 weeks is your probation period....as little # of carbs that you can...I had about 10 carbs a day for the first 2 weeks.
tell me more about this please.

what did you eat, etc

lots and lots of meat and beer but im not loosing any weight i cant figure out whats wrong
laugh.gif

for the first 2 weeks I ate hard boiled eggs for breakfast....pepperoni and cheese for lunch.....scrammbled eggs and bacon for dinner.....every other night I would alternate between eggs and grilled chicken......drink alot of water.....if you need something besides water...you can have diet pop.....I LOVE Rootbeer...and diet Barqs is awesome...so is diet MD.....The things you have to stay away from for the first week is fruit....don't drink any fruit juice....After the 2 week"probation" you can add fruit back in.....Let me give you one valuable piece of advice....get yourself a source of fiber....you will get backed up...

There are no tricks or magic diet that will work.
Its a lifestyle change. You can go on what ever gimmick diet you want but the bottom line is you cant stay on that gimmick diet for life and when you return to your poor lifestyle that got you where your at today you will again be where you started. Not busting your balls just telling you straight cause that's the real deal.
Eat better healthier whole foods - you know what they are and they cost more than the junk. Most people know whats bad for them and eat it anyway.Denial.
Eat less and eat better.
Exercise - Do some. what your doing now isn't working. This means burning calories, the single most effective exercise you can do is walk at a brisk pace. you can do this on a treadmill or outside but do it. If you can do some resistance training with it even better.
Commit - This is the hard part, the part where you decide your not going to let yourself go because its too hard or you dont have time. You can slip now and then but if you stay with the program you will prevail. lifestyle changes are not temporary.
Your will to change is the most important part here. If your not willing keep looking at diet pills and gimmick's that promise all you have to do is buy something and lose weight.

Good luck man, Ive been there and ain't going back.

so what do you eat after the probation period, same thing?

im looking to get a mountainbike, but i feel like im going to demolish anything with my size

I have lost 10 pounds in the past 2 weeks.

Stopped eating junk. got off my backside, and stopped with the soda.

By junk I mean fast food, little debbie cakes, honey buns(mmmmmmmmm honey buns), and anyhting else that is not "good for you"

Started walking, then hit the gym, I do cardio every day, be it walking or the ski machine at the gym.

Lift weights a few days a week. Nothing real heavy, but enough to break a sweat.

Cut out all soda, flavord water, and sports drinks. Sports drinks a full of sugar and empty calories.

Drink lots and lots of water. When you think you have had enough, drink some more, and then more after that.

Eat small meals, my sister paid something like 1000 dollars just for some Dr to tell her to stop the bad stuff.. Heck i can use 1000 bucks, so um I will give you my paypal account. thanks in advance lol

Like it was said before, its a life style change. Put good stuff in, get good stuff out. Ever seen a Busa run 200 mph on cheap gas with lots of bad stuff in it? yeah me either.

after te probation period I still eat peperoni and cheese for lunch...but if you go to smoothie king (I'm sure other places also) the have a powder that has you make into a shake that only has 1 carb per serving...I get the chocolate and add banannas or strawberries....YOu can eat steak, salads...Beef...hell you can even go to McDonalds and get a double cheese burger...with no bun...

I started last june at 289lbs. By Oct 1 when I boarded the plane to London, I weighed 228lbs. I came back from Europe in late Jan 08 having gained 18lbs, eating anything/everything I wanted...snacks, pizza, everything I hadnt in the previous months.

I did a modified atkins, strictly under 20g of carbs the first 4 wks. I think I was closer to 10-15 actually. I stayed on that for about a month, then slowly integrated more things into the diet, but no breads/starches/complex carbs. I ate things that were fairly obvious (meats, cheese, lo carb bars, south beach meals, etc) but then added things like colliflower mash instead of mashed taters... made the right way you wouldnt know the difference
beerchug.gif
. Look at things differently, how can you make something lo carb that is like what you are missing. For example, I was staying at a Renaissance hotel. They had parmasian chips with a balsamic dip...about 2g of carbs and while not *exactly* like eating a potato chip, it was crunchy and dang tasty. It filled a void I had been missing, a crunchy snack. Now I make them by the panful and just enjoy them with a low carb tortilla/meat wrap.

2wks ago I got back into the correct way of eating, I've lost 15 of of the 18 I gained while in Europe already
cool.gif

It is a life style change, figure out what works for you and go for it. Its a concious decision you have to make, however once you get past the first 2-4wks its second nature. I'll warn you, you will have headaches and be a little lathargic the first 2wks as your body adjusts to missing the crapola/sugar you are used to eating. Work through it, you'll notice a change quickly.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

There are no tricks or magic diet that will work.
Its a lifestyle change. You can go on what ever gimmick diet you want but the bottom line is you cant stay on that gimmick diet for life and when you return to your poor lifestyle that got you where your at today you will again be where you started. Not busting your balls just telling you straight cause that's the real deal.
Eat better healthier whole foods - you know what they are and they cost more than the junk. Most people know whats bad for them and eat it anyway.Denial.
Eat less and eat better.
Exercise - Do some. what your doing now isn't working. This means burning calories, the single most effective exercise you can do is walk at a brisk pace. you can do this on a treadmill or outside but do it. If you can do some resistance training with it even better.
Commit - This is the hard part, the part where you decide your not going to let yourself go because its too hard or you dont have time. You can slip now and then but if you stay with the program you will prevail. lifestyle changes are not temporary.
Your will to change is the most important part here. If your not willing keep looking at diet pills and gimmick's that promise all you have to do is buy something and lose weight.

Good luck man, Ive been there and ain't going back.
+10000000 and every Doctor and weight control guru will agree too.... I am going to try the Martial arts thing first, I am hoping it makes me more aware of my eating habits.. Life change is never easy, I just wish I had someone around here to work with (competition is a great thing:) )

lots of good advise here so far. An easy win is to cut your sugar consumption back as far as possible. No pop, no candy, no treats. You will feel the craving for sugar after you eat. This will go away within a few weeks. Stay away pasta and white bread. No chips or french fries. You don't need to starve yourself. If you stay away from the bad stuf you can eat as much meat and vegis as you want. Get moving and build up muscle. Both will increase your metabolism and you'll begin to burn more and more fat. Don't look for the quick fix. Focus on the body parts you do like and on any positive change no matter how small. Soon the rest of you will begin to catch up.

i started at 314 lbs. at Christmas '05...i now weigh approx. 268...i was already working out so the main thing i did was cut out soda and tried to cut out one helping of each food per meal (would only eat 4 hamburgers instead of 5, only eat 3 plates of food at a buffet instead of 4, etc.)..this was hard at first but i gradually became accustomed to it and am slowly continuing to lose more weight

i think cutting out the soda was the biggest thing since i was polishing off about 6 12 packs a week at home plus what i was drinking at work and when i went out to eat, i just started keeping several gallons of water in the fridge and it eventually just became a habit...i definitely feel better now...good luck
beerchug.gif

Thanks a lot guys, im going to combine everything on here and start a progress log so you guys can see some results!

Topper,

I guess the biggest question is what do you eat in an average day?

1) Stop drinking soda pop, tea, and coffee. Stick with water and natural juice.
2) Watch your portions.
3) No carbs are short term and rarely last. Your body needs fuel to burn the fat. See next line
4) You need to exercise. Even if only 10-20 minutes a day at first. Key is getting your heart rate up. Get a pulse monitor and do some research. Check with the doc and see what he says but you need your heart in 140-150 range to be effective. (even 160 but again... check with the doc)
5) if you go to a steak house for the common lunch, get the salad dressing on the side and use less. Eat only 1/2 the baked potato and skip the texas toast. Cut down on the salt.

Make small easy changes to modify your lifestyle. You didn't put the weight in 3 weeks. Don't expect it to come off in three weeks and stay off.

I just bought a treadmill, started to watch what i eat. the wife and i have been eating out once a week and we cook once a week also, the other days we eat a weight watchers or lean cuisine for dinner and water all through the day. Skip the sodas, water w/ lemon, i eat a banana and 2 boiled eggs no yoke for breakfest, some carrots/celery for break and i make the night before one small can of tuna with 2 eggs no yokes and mustard and a little mayo with wheat crackers for lunch. So far im down 15 lbs in a week in a half. trying to get some weight off of rthe bash. Good luck and dont give up

Diets are not sustainable, anyone who tells you they are is lying to you. This is one of those things that causes controversy wherever you go. No carbs, all carbs, south beach, Atkins, yada yada. They will allow you to lose weight, heck anyone can lose weight but if it is not sustainable you will go back! I lost 118 lbs in six months one time by cutting out almost all fat and sugar and riding Mountain bikes (yes they make em strong enough for us big guys) a few days a week. No real diet or exercise plan. I just quit using mayo, butter, hamburger, milk, pop, beer etc. I kept it off for a few years actually but if you want to have any kind of social life at all it is real tough to do! But in time I just got to where I couldn't do it anymore and sad to say I am not as skinny as I was then.

I think the one that really chaps my a$$ is the commercials on TV with all the football players talking about the diet plan that helped them lose weight. Come on did these idiots learn nothing in all the years they drew huge salaries as professional athletes?
deadhorse.gif

Why does it make it hard to eat healthy?

Why is it hard to exercise consistently?

If I know why you think that I can help you. I as the same way with the eating. I have had to make due. I travel in the military where I am at allot. I am at the mercy of chow halls and less at times. I just try to throw in some healthy snacks and extra protein into my pack. I just recently moved locations for about a 30 days stint. I packed a bunch of stuff healthy likes packs of tuna ( I hate tuna) protein bars jars of peanut butter and protein powder packets. Bad news is it is still a little cold here so I cut out my cold weather gear to do so. Been freezing my a$$ off at night. Small sacrifice it will warm up in the next couple of weeks. I am not letting anything get in the way of my goals. That is the mindset you have to have. The other is long days no motivation to workout. Well on days I know I will not get a workout in I just get one in where I can. I jump down doe some push ups randomly here and there. Grab a few pull ups if I pass a bar or anything I can do one or two on. A few crunches. Then on the days you can get to the gym hit it hard like it is the last time you will be able to lift the rest of your life ( just after a week or two of getting used to it I don't want to see you hurt that slows progress).

Everyone has given good advice so far. I do not like any fad diets because you cannot stick with them forever. If you just want to drop a few real quick for a vacation or reunion fine do it for a month. If your looking for a lifestyle change because you are not happy. Then go with something you can stick with. Add fresh fruits and veggies to your everyday diet. Bake your chicken instead of frying it. Cut out deserts and replace them with healthier choices. I get my chocolate fix from some of the new really good tasting protein bars or making some low fat pudding with a scoop or two of protein powder.

Find what works for you. I have been tweaking it here and there and think I am close to finding my nitch. I have taken off 30lbs and put on allot of muscle since Oct 31. I am a ton stronger and allot slimmer. Lost it the healthy way and you will be more likely to keep it off. It will be easier on your body that way too, and you will be more likely to stick with it.

If you need any support or help we are here for you man.

I sure wish I had a private trainer... she would come over at 7AM tell me to "catch her if I can" and away we go! I think I could get motivated to move faster or at least regular.. (James UPS girl would suffice)

Back