Best way to remove rear tire

riironman

Donating Member
Registered
Ok ..this is my first time removing my rear wheel..I need direction on how to do this easily with a rear swingarm stand.

1. Remove cotter pin

2. Remove axle nut

3. Back off adjusters (loosen)

4. Slide rear axle out

5. Move wheel assy forward to remove chain from sprocket

6. Move wheel assy to the rear and remove from bike.

Good instructions start in paragraph 6-40 in the Zuk Shop manual: You'll need a 1/2in breaker bar, a 36 mm socket and a TQ wrench. Loosen up the bolt/nut on the tq arm attached to the brake assembly, pull the cotterpin on the axle nut, break tq. Loosen the chain adjusters so that you can slide the wheel forward and slip the chain off of the sprocket. A second person is helpful when you start to pull the axle nut so that the brake assembly and bracket don't drop onto your rim, with the chain off, you can manuever the wheel around the caliper and off the bike - be careful that you don't just drop the chain or the wheel on the floor. When you go to re-install, you'll do the reverse, but TQ the axle nut to 72.5 ftlbs. Hope that is simple enough... what are you doing?

MC - My manual starts the process on 6-43 and doesn't mention the brake caliper or arm removal.

Did I get the right manual???

rock.gif

MC - My manual starts the process on 6-43 and doesn't mention the brake caliper or arm removal.  

Did I get the right manual???

rock.gif
Bessie is an '01, so your manual might be a little different from mine.  But the axle goes through the brake caliper adapter/bracket, so you have to loosen the nut on the TQ arm to swivel it out of the way as you remove the axle...

<!--EDIT|MC MUSTANG
Reason for Edit: None given...|1156983321 -->

I might add that I removed the caliper and placed out of the way. Twist tie it to the rear stand.

Torque to 19 ft. pds. when reinstalling.

You can leave it on but be sure to take your time. A few have nicked there rims.

runeight

Hi Guys,
I've been around for a while, but this is my first post. I removed the rear wheel and brought it in to the shop get the tire changed. When I went to re-install I can't seem to remember which side the spacers go. I'm assuming the larger one goes with the sprocket and the smaller one on the rotor side. TIA for any help in this matter.

(Old'n Rusty @ Sep. 18 2006,12:21) Hi Guys,
 I've been around for a while, but this is my first post. I removed the rear wheel and brought it in to the shop get the tire changed. When I went to re-install I can't seem to remember which side the spacers go. I'm assuming the larger one goes with the sprocket and the smaller one on the rotor side. TIA for any help in this matter.
The left side spacer has an indentation on the outside that the end of the axle locks into. The right side is fairly flat on the outside as the axle nut butts up to it. You should be able to see the marks where the adjusting bolts have contacted the spacers to determine front to back. I wish I had my bike here at work to double check for you  and to ride home after  
race.gif

First you need a really, really sharp box cutter.......

So far I ran into a problem. The bike stand is on, the rear is lifted, the pin is out, but the axel nut is stuck in place. I greased it with WD-40 and it still doesn't budge. Has anyone ran into this problem, and if so, any solutions they suggest?

I'm using the stock wrench found in the rearseat toolkit. Should I get a longer shafted wrench for more torque?

(nicholonious @ Nov. 12 2006,20:54) So far I ran into a problem.  The bike stand is on, the rear is lifted, the pin is out, but the axel nut is stuck in place.  I greased it with WD-40 and it still doesn't budge.  Has anyone ran into this problem, and if so, any solutions they suggest?

I'm using the stock wrench found in the rearseat toolkit.  Should I get a longer shafted wrench for more torque?
I answered in the other thread
argue.gif

(nicholonious @ Nov. 12 2006,20:54) So far I ran into a problem.  The bike stand is on, the rear is lifted, the pin is out, but the axel nut is stuck in place.  I greased it with WD-40 and it still doesn't budge.  Has anyone ran into this problem, and if so, any solutions they suggest?

I'm using the stock wrench found in the rearseat toolkit.  Should I get a longer shafted wrench for more torque?

Just step on the end of the provided box end wrench if you dont have a breaker bar to place over it. Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey ! Note..... leave the nut on the axle by a couple of threads then tap ontop of the head of the nut with a hammer to get the axle through most of the way of the rime before the nut makes contact with the swingarm.

Back