Best way to replace rear links - by yourself?

SoCal Blur

Registered
I'm planing on raising the rear of my Gen 1 by +1" using Schnitz Racing's 1 inch riser links.

I'm looking for tips, advice, etc., on the best way to accomplish this task by one's self. I live in an apartment with underground, shared parking so I don't have a lot of options when working on the old girl. I have all of the appropriate hand tools, Rear swingarm (spool) stand, and a set of jack stands.

I won't have any assistance so what is the best way to accomplish supporting the busa's frame so that I can replace the links on the rear shock?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and recommendations!

Floor jack, short piece of 2X4. Just be careful. Hate seeing a grown man cry :whistle:

Is there a way to run something between two floor jacks somewhere through the frame or under it so that it would be more stable than just one floor jack under the bike? I am worried about it tipping over.

If you have the swingarm on the stand and the jack under it with just enough pressure to keep it from moving then you are good. It shouldn't go anywhere unless you are not on a level surface.

Front and rear stands. Put the jack under the brace for the belly wing. Watch as you jack it up that you do not lift it off the rear stand!

You can run a steel rod through the pivot point of the swingarm to 2 jack stands, they'll have to be tall ones. That'll hold the weight of the bike and you'll just have to lift the swingarm by hand to get the weight off the links to unbolt em. Hanging it by the rear subframe is an option if ya have some exposed things overhead to attach too. It can tend to sway side to side a bit that way, so be cautious.

You can run a steel rod through the pivot point of the swingarm to 2 jack stands, they'll have to be tall ones. That'll hold the weight of the bike and you'll just have to lift the swingarm by hand to get the weight off the links to unbolt em. Hanging it by the rear subframe is an option if ya have some exposed things overhead to attach too. It can tend to sway side to side a bit that way, so be cautious.

Done this many times...

I used my handy cherry picker. Makes life simple! Nice thing is you can easily adjust pressure to allow the bolts on the links to slide right in. You can also move the bike around a little on the crane. Crane handles 2000# so it's pretty stable.

DSC_0525.jpg

I like that idea.

Done this many times...

Good to know it's a proven method :laugh:

I used my handy cherry picker. Makes life simple! Nice thing is you can easily adjust pressure to allow the bolts on the links to slide right in. You can also move the bike around a little on the crane. Crane handles 2000# so it's pretty stable.

Yeah, even if I were to get one, I would have no place to store it. I would go that route if I could.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Feel free to continue to toss some additional nuggets if you have any.

A 5/8" steel rod through the frame supported by the jackstands on each side.
Same way you'de measure for rear suspension sag.

Is there a way to run something between two floor jacks somewhere through the frame or under it so that it would be more stable than just one floor jack under the bike? I am worried about it tipping over.

yes you can slide a bar through the whole that is in the middle of the frame and set it down on some jack stands. Then use a jack to adjust the height of the swingarm

Just remember that the links actually loosen with a slight amount of weight on the wheel. Push the wheel up too much and the bolt will bind in the link. Let the wheel hang down too much and the bolt will bind too. You need a bit of find jack adjustment to do this easily yourself. Also, loosen everything with weight on the wheel then lift it and remove the bolts. I have a steel tube I slip over the my rachet so I had a 3-4 foot level - these bolts are some of the tightest on the bike! I used red thread lock when I put them back on. This is an easy quick job but it requires the tools or you will be frustrated. Also y6ou will be really putting the body English on the tools and yanking the bike around so have a clear escape route if the bike falls over. Be careful not to knock it over, especially on yourself.

This is exactly the type of information that I need! I have a much better idea of what I'm in for. Sounds like I have all of the appropriate tools.

Thanks!

Just remember that the links actually loosen with a slight amount of weight on the wheel. Push the wheel up too much and the bolt will bind in the link. Let the wheel hang down too much and the bolt will bind too. You need a bit of find jack adjustment to do this easily yourself. Also, loosen everything with weight on the wheel then lift it and remove the bolts. I have a steel tube I slip over the my rachet so I had a 3-4 foot level - these bolts are some of the tightest on the bike! I used red thread lock when I put them back on. This is an easy quick job but it requires the tools or you will be frustrated. Also y6ou will be really putting the body English on the tools and yanking the bike around so have a clear escape route if the bike falls over. Be careful not to knock it over, especially on yourself.

I forgot about those tid bits, good job Willie. :thumbsup:

Back