Front and Rear tire removal

argyle66

Registered
I have front and rear stands so should be a breeze

need new tires...so just want to bring them into the shop as they charge so much if they are on the bike

I'm sure this topic is covered but I couldn't find anything on the search

if you have pics and a step by step please post or direct me to a link

thanks so much

I also want to remove my tire/wheels to have new tires mounted. The first challenge I ran into is removing the front wheel. you will need a 24mm External Hex do-hicky... You will also need a 36mm socket for the rear... I tried the make-shift tool that clymer suggest, but it will not budge the front wheel bolt...

(xcrypto @ Aug. 15 2007,04:49) I also want to remove my tire/wheels to have new tires mounted.  The first challenge I ran into is removing the front wheel.  you will need a 24mm External Hex do-hicky...  You will also need a 36mm socket for the rear...   I tried the make-shift tool that clymer suggest, but it will not budge the front wheel bolt...
loose'n up the right pinch bolts (brake side) and leave the left tight (clutch) should roll right off

I used an old motorcycle spark plug wrench (type that slides over the plug and you turn with another box wrench) the first time... it fit the axle perfectly. Have since made a tool.

Within this forum is a .pdf shop manual that covers most anything mechanical.

There is a tool specially made to remove the front axle but you can use to two large nuts jammed together on a large bolt. Just stick the nuts inside the opening and spin the bolt with a wratchet.
Like stated earlier, just loosen the pinch screws on the right side first, loosen off the fender and remove the caliper bolts too.

The rear is a breeze but you'll need a 36mm socket. There are short cuts like using the tool that came with the bike but you cant torque the axle back in with it.

Surf around this site and you'll find more than you need.

Post is needs pictures...

DSC02810.jpg

thank you for pics going to look into putting that tool together... what size bolt /nuts did you use if you don't mind???

My only concern with taking the rear wheel off on myself is lining up the wheel and tensioning the chain properly. I need to get a couple of tools to make that easier for me. I get a good deal at the dealership since my good friend is the service manager, so I usually just take the bike there and let them deal with it, plus it's only like an 8 minute ride.

(xcrypto @ Aug. 15 2007,04:49) I also want to remove my tire/wheels to have new tires mounted.  The first challenge I ran into is removing the front wheel.  you will need a 24mm External Hex do-hicky...  You will also need a 36mm socket for the rear...   I tried the make-shift tool that clymer suggest, but it will not budge the front wheel bolt...
Did you loosen the four axle bolts on the fork
rock.gif

Yeah, well my local dealer changed my first rear for $100.00.

TAKE GREAT CARE WITH THE ROTORS GUYS OR THAT SAME DEALER WILL GET $250.00 a package from you.

The chain tension alignment is very simple. Note where the blocks are before disassembly and put them back

Yeah watch the rear rotor, I took mine off for the first time and didn't notice the rotor touched the rim as I rolled it out and scratched the rim 1/2 way around
rant.gif

Back