Best Oil Filter In The World

mattymatt716

Registered
Hey friends... so I've asked this question numerous times in other forums, FB groups, etc. and have not found any answer. While doing research what oil filter to use on my Gen 1, I came across this website:

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html
(It has been referenced more than once on our forum, by the way)

I've read through this page several times, and in digging through the above site was able to gain additional information. According to the above, every oil filter for our bike is junk. As an alternative, the author of the page mentioned purchasing an adapter ( http://balestech.com/filter.htm ) that would allow the use of automotive filters, specifically the Purolator filters.

My questions:

1) Have any of you researched this and used the adapter?
2) Would you recommend this?

I have the adapter but have not yet installed it as it appears that, once the OEM adapter is off, rethreading a factory adapter will prove very difficult- once it's done, it probably permanent (at least functionally).

I know I have asked this on here before but haven't heard much of a response. I don't want to keep asking with no replies, but I heard about this mod from our forum originally. I'm just curious if anyone has actually done it and what the results have been.

Looks like another good reason Not to believe everything you read on the Internet. I have an 04 Busa, an 06 Gixxer, and 96
Harley. Had em all since they were new. For no particular reason I always use K&N filters. I'm sure there are other brands
that are just as high quality as K&N. The oil I drain out always looks good. Certainly important to use a good filter. And
just as important to change oil on a regular basis. But I don't feel you will gain anything by going to a filter designed for
a car.
And here on the same web site you referenced is a warning not to use the Purolator PureONE on a motorcycle...
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Yep I saw that, too. That was actually a quote from Purolator's website, not from the author of the original site. They said that because they were promoting their motorcycle line, which is made in China.

OEM only ! aka owner SCAR of ISOHC ON face book his bike Wasabi a 2008 has 204,360 miles @ last update a week ago . Why don't you ask him what filter he runs . FYI Thomas owns 3 more birds for a total 400,000 k miles .
A close friend @ A SUZUKI dealer has told me the story of two bikes ( a 1000 gsxr , and hayabusa )
That lost motors after they serviced them with K/N
Filters . Suzuki would not warranty them as filter was found to be cause . So they will not use K/N filters on any new bike under a warranty period.

I first hand have tried purlator filters on my FJR1300 after feeling over charged for oem filters .
Had two fail , but caused no engine damage .
My friend's FJR1300 also had a purlator filter fail .

I know that the relief pressure is many pounds different than car filters .

Don't over think this just go OEM .

I do not even know that many people, but have been provided several first and second hand stories of K&N filters failing.

Do your own research on the details but I read that Kyle Wyman used K&N, and was sponsored by K&N, when his filter's o-ring failed on the track. MotoAmerica then banned all aftermarket filters. But this is the identical issue that I know friends have had with the K&N.

Note the K&N filters have a hex nut for removal, but which causes weakness if it is used to tighten. The acquaintances who have had failures confirmed they did not use the hex nut for tightening, aka they did nothing wrong.

Useless information. There are no specs for flow or dirt capturing capabilities.

I do agree with you on the performance aspect. Anyone pointing to a filter for filtering performance, I would ask them to produce even a handful of modern engine failures due to the oil filter. The engine and lubrication system are what us systems guys would call closed loop and fault tolerant. It takes an egregious act to kill them. Even if one produced data that X filter keeps the oil cleaner than Y filter, there is zero evidence that this could extend the life of a modern engine. The engine is already built to outlast several replacements of most other components on modern vehicles.

I cannot speak of any other brand, but K&N's failures have put me in the same camp as those adhering to OEM filters.

Back