Dimensions for stock oil filter?

AJAY

Registered
Does anybody have the dimensions for the stock Suzuki oil filter? I'm looking specifically to see how tall the can is.

I want to figure out a way to put on a better, cheaper filter than the stock Suzuki filter, but Suzuki uses a very non-standard 20 x 1mm threads. I looked at this website and see that you can install an adapter for more common filters, with the Purolator Pure One PL14610 being highly recommended for both construction and filter area.
Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison

The adapter is only $15 and the Purolator filter is $5 shipped with amazon prime, so that's barely more than the suzuki filter by itself. My main concern is that the Purolator filter might be too tall to fit in behind the pipes.

Do a search...there was a thread about this a month or so ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Do a search...there was a thread about this a month or so ago.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. This would be the thread, but it's not very conclusive.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/147098-anyone-using-oil-filter-adapter.html

Per the link in the original post, the preferred filter would be the Purolator Pure One PL14610. I've been using the Pure Ones on my cars for a while and like them. But I'm just afraid that it might be too tall to fit in behind the Busa's exhaust pipes.

If I don't go this route, I'd likely use the K&N KN138 which has the nut welded on top like an airplane filter. Very convenient, but not considered a great filter, plus it's expensive ($14 - $15). Using the adapter would pay for itself after the second filter.

The price of K&N filter is negligible compared to other MC related expenses. I can gladly pay that amount once a year. IIRC, even this filter needs to be wiggled to take out/put in. So, anything taller would pose a problem.

Have you considered a reusable oil filter? Kinda pricey(average around $125), but then again it last forever. Just a thought.:beerchug:

Does anybody have the dimensions for the stock Suzuki oil filter? I'm looking specifically to see how tall the can is.

I want to figure out a way to put on a better, cheaper filter than the stock Suzuki filter, but Suzuki uses a very non-standard 20 x 1mm threads. I looked at this website and see that you can install an adapter for more common filters, with the Purolator Pure One PL14610 being highly recommended for both construction and filter area.
Motorcycle Oil Filter Comparison

The adapter is only $15 and the Purolator filter is $5 shipped with amazon prime, so that's barely more than the suzuki filter by itself. My main concern is that the Purolator filter might be too tall to fit in behind the pipes.

Just measured a new OEM filter sittin' on the bench,appears to be right at 2.5" tall.

Local dealer charges about $14 plus change and tax for the Zook filter. The adapter is $15 shipped and the referenced Purolator filter is only $5 from amazon. That works to break even at the second filter.

And, no, $14 is not really all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. We airplane owners talk in terms of "aviation dollars," with one aviation dollar equal to $100 regular dollars. Occasionally this definition expands to $1000 regular dollars, depending on the expense of the repair in question. It's just a way to keep sane. :)

If you're using a shorter filter, then there's that much less surface area inside to filter the oil, and therefor it's less efficiant than oem. Not something I'de be overly concerned with, but being that your reason for doing so is only to save a few bucks, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. Just my .02

If you're using a shorter filter, then there's that much less surface area inside to filter the oil, and therefor it's less efficiant than oem. Not something I'de be overly concerned with, but being that your reason for doing so is only to save a few bucks, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. Just my .02
Agreed again, brother, but you can't judge a book by its cover (or an oil filter by its can!). Look at the link in my original post which tells you how much SURFACE AREA each filter has. Some of the filters in those cans are actually much shorter than the can itself.

And I'm not even sure that matters, depending on the filter material itself. Disclaimer, I used to work for the company that makes Fram. Despite the trashing the referenced websites make about Fram, I've actually seen the synthetic material under the microscope and discussed filters with the engineers that design filters. The websites may rag on the "cardboard" end caps that Fram uses, but these are actually a manufacturing innovation and have no negative impact on filtration. The filter material Fram uses is very good, with high flow and superior particle trapping rates. Sorry, the engineer in me is coming out again. LOL! :rofl:

Agreed again, brother, but you can't judge a book by its cover (or an oil filter by its can!). Look at the link in my original post which tells you how much SURFACE AREA each filter has. Some of the filters in those cans are actually much shorter than the can itself.

And I'm not even sure that matters, depending on the filter material itself. Disclaimer, I used to work for the company that makes Fram. Despite the trashing the referenced websites make about Fram, I've actually seen the synthetic material under the microscope and discussed filters with the engineers that design filters. The websites may rag on the "cardboard" end caps that Fram uses, but these are actually a manufacturing innovation and have no negative impact on filtration. The filter material Fram uses is very good, with high flow and superior particle trapping rates. Sorry, the engineer in me is coming out again. LOL! :rofl:

Yes, that is a good point about surface area. I argue things like this with my dad too, he usually sets me straight:laugh:

Back