Belt Drive For Busa

You would have to pull the whole swingarm assembly. Like a chain without a masterlink.

you cant install a chain without a masterlink or masterlink pre installed without cutting the bracing. your chain goes through the bracing on any busa with a braced arm.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, the brace info is the kind of thing I was looking to find out. It is a cool idea, but not if I have to cut the brace. :bowdown:

If it weren't for the cost I would have gone belt years ago. Plenty strong and all the upsides way outweigh the downs. If you don't change your gearing frequently you would be fine.

IG not knocking you in the slightest, but ever seen a chain break...with the motorcycle still running on the other end? Chains break too and its nasty!

Form what I have read on numerous sites, the torque thing is a mute point, the new belts are more than able to handle the torque of a stock Busa and then some. The one from Scootworks is specifically designed for the busa.

I like the idea because they run smoother, last much longer and don't require any adjustment. Plus you are not flinging chain oil all over the place :thumbsup:

And if this doesn't break a belt, nothing I do is going to harm it.

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the amount of torque generated in doing a burnout and hammering 4th gear into 5th pulling into 150mph range.
I believe ?

There is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the amount of torque generated in doing a burnout and hammering 4th gear into 5th pulling into 150mph range.
I believe ?

I'm sure sudden jerks of power exert much higher momentary stress than smooth highish torque. So I'm sure you are much more likely to break a belt or chain at the moment you drop the clutch from standstill than on a high speed run. Plus a belt doesn't fail catastrophically like a chain.

Still don't like the idea of cutting the swingarm support though.

As I see it.... Some guy, who spent just about as many years in school as I have spent on this planet, who wears a little white lab coat, and who Suzuki TRUSTS to make the right decision, decided that the Hayabusa needed a Chain as its final drive.
Who am I, when push comes to shove, to contradict that......
Just sayin.....???

As I see it.... Some guy, who spent just about as many years in school as I have spent on this planet, who wears a little white lab coat, and who Suzuki TRUSTS to make the right decision, decided that the Hayabusa needed a Chain as its final drive.
Who am I, when push comes to shove, to contradict that......
Just sayin.....???

... stainless brake lines, HH pads, Power Commanders, HID headlights, iridium plugs etc. not in your future for the same reason either then I guess :poke:

After seeing that burnout vid, I think the belt drive would work just fine.!!
With the low impulse rate of the HDs, the belt gets hammered pretty hard and still holds up fine.
Go for it..!! :thumbsup:

I would be sold on the concept of the Belt set up,but hacking up your arm to get the belt installed just don't set easy with me.

If it weren't for the cost I would have gone belt years ago. Plenty strong and all the upsides way outweigh the downs. If you don't change your gearing frequently you would be fine.

IG not knocking you in the slightest, but ever seen a chain break...with the motorcycle still running on the other end? Chains break too and its nasty!

But that's exactly my point: EVEN chains break sometimes, never mind belts. In case of chains though, I'd say most breaks are incorrectly installed master link (either style), or overtightened and/or not maintained chain, or insane horsepower. Otherwise, a chain will hold and I bet my life on it every time I ride. Last I checked the breaking point of a good chain was like 12,000 lb. What about a belt? I also think a chain stretches a lot less under load than a belt would.

All-in-all, I think the chain wins hands down. It loses only in maintenance department. But again, it wins in replacement department.

Look even from the emergency perspective. Let's say a rider on a trip breaks his chain. He can find a local dealer, get the chain installed in no time and be on his way. Some carry a chain tool on long trips. Try that with a belt. I would agree that perhaps belts are getting stronger thank to advances in material science, but I think they are still far away from chains.

In retrospect, all cases of broken chains I heard about, the reason for breakage was one of those I mentioned above.

Back