Belt Drive For Busa

Re: Belt Drive For Bussa

Never seen that, but we did come across an SV650 one time that'd been converted to belt drive.

Img_1733-BeltDrive.jpg

Img_1734-ZakBike.jpg

Img_1733-BeltDrive.jpg

Img_1734-ZakBike.jpg

I would never trust a belt drive on a 'Busa. I don't think belt drives are able to transmit that much torque/power. Heck, I wouldn't trust every chain except a few. Heck, even a good chain can go bad on a 'Busa.

Few years back, during a track day I witnessed a belt on the Buell broke and was laying there on the track like a black snake. I still have this image in my head.

What I don't understand - why switch to a belt?

I recall reading an article explaining why HIGH HP Bikes can't use belt drives. Reason, well it seems as the HP goes up, the belt has to get wider (not thicker) to handle the Torque and HP. That's why Harleys and LOW HP bikes can handle reasonable width belts.

Well, that's what the article said anyway :beerchug:

Really cool concept but....

I think the Busa's torque and HP is too great for a belt drive system to serve as a long lasting and reliable drive system.

Might be ok if you put a rev limiter of like 6K and short shifted like a mofo.

They have been improving the belts since 06-07 on the harleys every year i believe. I know this because of buell. Everytime I took that bike in they said i needed a new belt on it because the newer ones were stronger, although there was nothing wrong with the current one and I wasn't doing anything crazy with it.

I'm curious as to how a belt would handle the power. Considering that it was also rated to handle the power as well. I would love the near silent noise coming from it!

Form what I have read on numerous sites, the torque thing is a mute point, the new belts are more than able to handle the torque of a stock Busa and then some. The one from Scootworks is specifically designed for the busa.

I like the idea because they run smoother, last much longer and don't require any adjustment. Plus you are not flinging chain oil all over the place :thumbsup:

And if this doesn't break a belt, nothing I do is going to harm it.

Last edited:
good luck with it, but :poke: Have a number ready to call for your ride home when it goes. IF you ride your Busa like it a HD...youll be fine?:rofl:

...actually, the one downside I just noticed is that the belt kit has an equivalent ratio of 16/40 and I'm actually looking to go the other way, 18/40+
Pity...

I don't think torque would be a problem on a stock to slightly modified Busa. Most of the larger v-twins have more torque then a Busa. Horsepower is another story though. I would also like to know if the speed that belt would have to endure on a Busa would be a factor. I would consider the change to belt drive after the product has been tested in the real world.

I recall reading an article explaining why HIGH HP Bikes can't use belt drives. Reason, well it seems as the HP goes up, the belt has to get wider (not thicker) to handle the Torque and HP. That's why Harleys and LOW HP bikes can handle reasonable width belts.

Well, that's what the article said anyway :beerchug:

:thumbsup:

A belt wide enough to handle the horsepower of a Busa would force too many design compromises with wide pulleys, frame clearance etc etc.

cheers
ken

:thumbsup:

A belt wide enough to handle the horsepower of a Busa would force too many design compromises with wide pulleys, frame clearance etc etc.

cheers
ken

If the belts were made from 10 year old technology then that may be true, but from what I have read, the new belts are drastically stronger and don't have to be as wide. (Think of how much has changed in the last decade as a result of carbon fiber and kevlar)

Anyways, that belt is not a retrofit, the whole system was designed for the busa, I have actually been watching them for the better part of 2 years now ever since I started looking for one for my CBR1100xx

Plus, if it were to break,, it might solve the problem of the chain wanting to become a 7th gear in the transmission,,,:thumbsup:

how do they get around the bracing on the arm?

That my friend I believe is the show stopper right there. I blew the video up and if you look at the rear peg, they have cut the brace and there is a plate bolted up covering the opening for the belt. Sorry...I like the idea of a belt but not at the cost of cutting the brace.

I would never trust a belt drive on a 'Busa. I don't think belt drives are able to transmit that much torque/power. Heck, I wouldn't trust every chain except a few. Heck, even a good chain can go bad on a 'Busa.

Few years back, during a track day I witnessed a belt on the Buell broke and was laying there on the track like a black snake. I still have this image in my head.

What I don't understand - why switch to a belt?

+1 I agree.

I wanna say , if I knew it would be OK, Id do it too. No oil, no adjusting, no clatter, and quiet. You guys are right, some big V twins make alot more torque then a stock Busa. My problem with it is my friend rode a big Buell Lightning and chewed / broke belts alot. That was beating on a Buell and we all know that's not in the same league as a Busa.

Back