Belly pan removal.......HELP

CCbusa05

Donating Member
Registered
I've got the two nylon pins that are on either side of the rectifier out and even the one 4MM screw by the foot brake lever out. But for the life of me, I cannot seem to be able to separate the belly pan from the rear of the right fairing. I have tried forcing it straight back but nothing gives!? Does the pan push inward or down or what to separate it from the fairing. Or, do you guys just leave it attached to the fairing when you remove the entire fairing (what a hassle that would be!). And some I have read leave the belly pan in place when removing the right fairing, but how did you separate it??
I must be doing something wrong, I am afraid to pull backwards too hard.
Thx in advance.

Gen I ??? just make sure you got all the pushpins and allen screws out. Should slide straight back and down without a hitch. Sorry, got a GenII in the garage can't go look.

On the gen two the belly pan is a part of the right fairing. You have to take the whole right side off.

PS. check out the link on here about fairing removal.
Yes indeed, I have read it many times and some say the belly pan DOES separate from the fairing, as shown in the owner's manual, but I wonder, like you said, if it truely does separate? now I am really confused! Oh well........anyone else ACTUALLY separate the two?

Last edited:
If you look down through the hole under where the allen screw was you will see some hook and loop (for lack of a better term) fasteners. Mine were kind of tough the first time I seperated them. If you look through the hole you should be able to guage which way to bend and pull. If I remember right the verry bottom portion goes towards the cats and then the bottom clip should release.

When I replaced my entire right side fairings the belly pan came unattached from the right fairing. So yes they do seperate. If my memeory serves me correct the two pieces also "snap" in to each other to keep them together. Kind of like how the right side fairing is also in two pieces but "snap" together. When I installed the pieces I did install the belly pan seperate and then "snapped" them together but in hindsight wished I had put them together before hand. It may be some thing that is more suited for attacking with the whole fairing off. Sorry I know that wasn't exactly the news you were looking for. :blush:

P.S. This is for a Gen2 if that is what you are looking for......

Last edited:
Yes indeed, I have read it many times and some say the belly pan DOES separate from the fairing, as shown in the owner's manual, but I wonder, like you said, if it truely does separate? now I am really confused! Oh well........anyone else ACTUALLY separate the two?

Yep, the GenII is like a Chinese Puzzle Box. I own a Gen I, My wife has the Gen II. The manual does show the belly pan being seperated, but with my experance (changing oil and filter etc.) the belly pan will seperate once you have the right side completely loose, if not off. Which of coarse involves removing the under nose and under nose side panels. I have yet to find a short cut to this. I've Tried, but was afraid I would snap a clip that hold the the panels together. The GenII is a great aero package, but the GenI much easier to take apart.

make sure everything is loose Jim then you can pull the panel out enough that you can see behind it where the pan and the panel attach, it has these hooks that are in the center and a snap on each end. you kind of have to basically unsnap on the ends then push the two pieces in oposite directions and un hook them

man i hope that helps if i was close i would come over and help ya:beerchug:

The belly pan will unsnap from the side fairing...you just have to play with it a little. Once you take it off for the first time, you'll laugh at yourself for posting this thread :laugh:

Back