Beers and riding?

Ked0607

Registered
I'll have a max of 2 beers while out on the bike and that over the course of hours. I ride past bars with "cruisers" all over the place. What's everyone's thoughts on a beer or two while on the 2s?

Ideally the amount of alcohol consumed prior to riding has to be measured by the level of impairment. Since impairment (can’t) always be accurately measured from one person to the next, a presumptive level was established for everyone in most if not all jurisdictions, 0.08 blood alcohol content. In addition, the person doing the drinking and riding, even over several hours, is (not) the best judge of his own level of impairment.

I'm dumb enough without alcohol. Don't really drink at all except on a rare occasion. When in areas where weed is legal, I don't like to ride high either. I feel like the situational awareness just isn't there so I just ride sober.

I've never understood the bike nights at bars where the cruiser guys will get hammered and then ride home. I'd rather meet at a park or just hit some backroads together.

Any impairment even a slight one on a bike such as a Hayabusa could be disastrous.....this bike is not something to trifle with...

I've never drank (or done any drugs) but I knew a guy who rode drunk often....his last bike was a BMW K1 and he woke up one morning in a field and found his bike completely destroyed in a copse of trees...it had 1500kms on it...sadly he didn't learn his lesson as 2 months later his Porsche suffered a similar fate....only he ended up in the hospital in that one...

I’m on day 5,491 dry.

15 years this month without a drink

I didn’t enjoy giving it up, but for me it was for the best.

Edit: I could write a book on my life with drink, from locking myself out on a high floor hotel balcony, to falling asleep during a round of golf, and much MUCH worse. It probably has a connection to some of my current health issues. I did like a drink, but I struggle with moderation.

Last edited:
I believe in being safe ALL the time no drugs and no drinking .
I have seen to many deaths from both in my life time .
Hi. I got drunk on beer 1 time and did not like it. Got drunk on wine I realy hated it. I was just out of boot camp, went to a wedding in NY City with friends. I was 17. Tryed one of every thing hard liquor, left with a 1/5 of some thing hard. I lost the next 3 days I was OUT. Never have drank again or have used drugs or smoked angthing.

I dated a girl for a time that was a good rider. We'd go to bike events. And she'd drink a beer or two.

I noticed she took a little more time braking or anticipating lines etc. She also tended to push more aggressive riding.

She is an adult in charge of her own actions. And I'm sure she could have passed any blow test.

We are already at risk out there. It takes 1/3 as long to get 3 times as much trouble on a bike.

It's a no for me dawg.

Its a miracle I survived my youth on my 1st motorcycle in Minnesota. After drinking in Wisconsin ( dropped drinking age to 18 from 21 in 1971 ) I can remember driving home in the rain at night doing about a 100 mph at times with two other friends ahead of me also on motorcycles. I remember following the wheel tracks from cars that I could see in the rain just ahead of me to minimize the risk of hydroplaning.

Many acquaintances had alcohol issues and drinking was considered a path to manhood. I finally gave it up for 8 years commencing in 1980.

Do you remember your 1st beer? I wondered at the time... why do people drink this stuff?
the taste of it was horrible.

These days... pretty risk adverse overall...

Well, I won't drink and ride, but I will use the bike to get the beer home as well as gas for the mower. Cause who in their right mind mows the lawn sober?

LOL

cheers
ken
IMG_20190627_182635.jpg

Ideally the amount of alcohol consumed prior to riding has to be measured by the level of impairment. Since impairment (can’t) always be accurately measured from one person to the next, a presumptive level was established for everyone in most if not all jurisdictions, 0.08 blood alcohol content. In addition, the person doing the drinking and riding, even over several hours, is (not) the best judge of his own level of impairment.
This... riding is already dangerous enough I enjoy drinking, but to mix the two is a recipe for disaster. You may be legal but at the same time you may be past your limit/control.... where another may be actually totally sober. I agree with zero tolerance riding.

i have no problem with having a social beer out on the bike, most of the dangerous riding seems to be with sober riders
I haven't seen anybody mess up when drinking and driving a motorcycle in decades... I have seen my fair share of sober riders crash when pushing the limits. I have seen riders going the other way and thanked the level of grip those tires were providing just after they passed me... I doubt they were drinking... but... you never know... they might be feeling bullet proof off an alcohol buzz.

Back