Alcohol and the Hayabusa

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
A comment on another thread is the catalyst for this. It is time to speak out as many no doubt have in the past. And to add some credence to my case. I am a degreed biochemist from a world class university and have seen first hand and microscopically..the effects of alcohol on human physiology (although now I am in a different vocation)

People say that a "few beers" has no effect on them. I assure you that this is a pile of bulls**t. You may not "feel" an effect, but loads of research shows that impairment begins with the FIRST DRINK. Doesn't matter if you hold your alcohol well or weigh 350 pounds. Reaction time, reflexes, vision and coordination begin to suffer after the FIRST DRINK although the effect may be muted in some folks. Muted doesnt mean you're okay or at optimal performance levels.

To prove this, an organization (can't recall the name) took 20 folks-- guys and girls of all ages and took them to Bob Bondurants school of defensive driving. They put them on an obstacle course and did handwriting samples as well as coordination tests. They did this when sober and recorded and filmed the results. They then gave everyone 1 beer. And repeated, then two beers then repeated etc, etc....you get the picture.

After 1 drink, handwriting was noticeably different in most folks. The obstacle course results were also noticeably different. Braking distance and reaction time were noticeably different. After two beers, nearly everyone was knocking down a few orange cones and the reaction times were much worse. After three beers most of the cones were road kill and the reaction times were abysmal. Human cardboard cutouts were also being hit as part of the course. Signatures and coordination were comical. People were laughing.....thank
goodness it was on a test drive course and was heavily monitored.

After 4 beers, it looked like a three stooges clip. And after five beers the entire course was a mess. Cars everywhere, cones everywhere and people could barely get out of the f**king test cars.

I love this forum and while I don't know anyone personally, I would hate to hear about any of you getting hurt, much less killed. Alcohol and the mighty Hayabusa do not mix. At sixty MPH (which is what many of us "idle" at), even the smallest impairment can cause problems. At 120 mph plus, you will eventually splat if your reaction time is compromised by 1/20th of a second. 45% of all accidents involve alcohol and drugs. Why take a chance. I you don't believe me, ask some of the law enforcement folks on this board. They will likely concur.

Okay, preachin' over. Have an extraordinary riding season.

--Babuski

Just don't do it. If I have a drink of Alcohol it won't be near my bike period.

Ditto here! I have seen up close what alcohol impairment does at 120 plus, as well as a low speed rear-ender - both fatal. I have an agreement with my wife and family. If I drink, they drive; If they drink, I drive - No discussion. As for even thinking about riding a 'Busa after ONE beer, well, forget about it! I see no reason to narrow my chances of a long life, dying in my bed years from now with my family all around me. Most of us ride because we love the thrill of being on the edge. But all of us ride 'Busas because we have confidence in our riding abilities and can react to dangers. Imagine riding a 'Busa with half or less reaction time than you are used to. That's how it would be.

Good post.. Alcohol and riding/driving do not mix.. I don't know when people will learn.  As a side note.. did you hear about the guy in Texas last week?  Had too much to drink at the local bar, gave the keys to his 11 year old son and had him drive home.. Police pulled them over when it was noticed the vehicle was wandering all over the road.  BUSTED... endangering a minor, blah blah blah.. some people..  
rant.gif

<!--EDIT|Haywood
Reason for Edit: "note to self.. proof read before posting!"|1080661158 -->

Right on. Just stay off the bike after a drink. The two simply don't mix, ever, period. If it is time for a drink, it is time to stop riding for the day.

I will say that in the past I have ridden my bike after "a few beers" and I should have known better, but I survived and I never did it after more than 2 drinks or before waiting a significant time after drinking. I know my limits and want to err on the conservative side.

Amen babuski, BTW its now up to 50%. After just one drink you become impaired. The primary effects are Vision and Judgment. I can't imagine having those two effects on the busa.. Be sort of strapping yourself onto a rocket without any control and letting it fly.

Great thread babuski...I have friends that ride and stop for that one beer, then hop back on the bike and cruise some more...I do what I can to keep myself safe, but I've given up preaching to those around me that choose to drink even one beer and ride. My husband's one of those guys..."it doesn't affect me"...I've heard it for years. I've preached and pleaded, but bottom line is that you can't force someone to do what you feel they should; everyone's got to decide for themselves.

Some need a wake up call...

I've mentioned this a few times on this board...I lost someone in my family nearly 2 years ago...it'll be 2 years on May 18th actually...he was 24 years old...

His name was David...great guy...loved life, loved his family, loved having fun and hanging out with friends. He was in college...he was in to his truck, always fixing it up and putting killer stereo systems in it...he built go-carts and raced anything with wheels...he could fix absolutely anything with an engine...and he loved his Honda CBR.

A friend totaled his Honda, and thankfully walked away with just cuts and bruises. David decided to do what everyone seems to do with wrecked bikes...build something meaner, faster, stronger, leaner...I never saw the finished CBR in all it's glory, but he'd extended the swing arm, lowered it, custom paint...

David put on his full gear and headed out with a friend one night. He made some usual stops, saw friends, drank a few beers...it was sometime after 1:00 a.m. when he found himself in a situation that he clearly couldn't see an outcome to...he was speeding, racing, with his friend down back roads, side streets...cops clocked him and turned on the lights. My guess is that he was in that state we've all been in, whether you're standing in your house partying with friends or behind the wheel after a few...you feel invincible...you can do anything and not even consider the consequences. He fled, surely thinking that he was "okay" enough to handle that CBR that night...I never visited the site where he slammed in to a telephone pole at high speed, I don't even know how fast he was going when he hit, but I can tell you that the bike in my back yard is in two pieces, completely snapped the frame under the seat, right where he was sitting...his bike was so twisted, you can't even believe what you're looking at...

He died that night in his full leather racing gear, expensive helmet, boots and gloves...all the appropriate gear in the world, all of the riding experience you might have, all of the things you had going for you in your life can't save you if you decide to drink and drive and something goes wrong...and believe me, at some point, something will go wrong...

I apologize for going on like this, but since my husband and I picked up David's bike from the junkyard for his family, picking through the pieces of what he had on him, cigarettes, his bloodied helmet, the ignition key to his pride and joy, I felt the impact of what drinking and riding a bike can do to a family...it was devastating...so many riders know what it is to lose anyone around then, but when it's a senseless death, one that could have been avoided so easily by not drinking and riding, it's somehow harder to swallow...I miss him terribly...some days it's almost unbearable; what happened to him has had an enormous impact on me...I take any opportunity that I can to enlighten riders around me about what happened to David. A medium like the Internet is perfect because I can't talk about it face to face with anyone very well; it's still hard, even after nearly 2 years...I can't relay to others just how tragic this was, and I know I'm only one of so many that go through it every day...

I too would hate to see any of you guys/gals go through that or put your families through that...be smart...ride smart...please, please don't ever drink and drive/ride...

VA....it was extremely difficult to read your story without that lump in my throat coming to pay a visit. I can't imagine that your husband would still ride and drink after seeing the effects in his backyard. Don't give up on him. continue to nag him.

Thanks for sharing that story, I am so sorry it had such a tragic end. But I know what alcohol does. Strange as it may seem I had some bad experiences in college with alcohol--and haven't had a drink since then. Waiters look at me stupid when I'm in bars with friends and don't drink. At business meetings its more acceptable not to drink now, but I still get those looks. Its amazing I've gotten as far as I have without some sort of social drinking at least in my business. But the average person will drink more this upcoming weekend than I have in 25 years. I feel strange about it--but this motorcycle that we all drive is so incredibly awesome and so exhilirating, I can't imagine getting on it impaired at all. You have to have an immense respect for it.

again thanks for telling this story.

I normally ride with about 15-20 guys & we all have the same attitude about drinking & riding. We make alot of stops & not a single person has any alcoholic drinks. Now alot of bikers I see drinking at bike nights are usually HD riders or cruiser type bikes. The busa requires you being at your best & if im feeling anything less than that, im not riding that day..

Alcohol and driving, riding, cycling, etc, etc, etc....well you get the picture, don't mix. I'm a Med-flight Pilot and see this on a daily basis. So if your going to engage in any activity that requiers your full attention don't drink. Two nights ago I picked up a guy who lost control of his Motorcycle. He failed to notice that there was a curve ahead and failed to turn and instead kept going straight...that is when I got the call in the middle of the night to go pick him up. When they got him in the aicraft I asked him what he was riding and he said a 2002 Hayabusa...he was not wearing a helmet and was smelling of alcohol. The dud was lucky. Go ride and have your drink when you are through. Lets all be safe! My .02
smile.gif

My Harley Buddy this a lot, it's sort of what you do on a Harley I guess... Hell, I figure if it takes alcohol to numb the pain or somehow make you feel better about being on your bike I guess thats what it takes. Heck there slow enough I guess it cannot really hurt...

Myself though, I have an 8 hour rule. If I have a couple Captain N Cokes at lunch, (Remember I am an artist) then I don't get an evening ride. Simple as that. I still go to the clubs, and the bars, I just drink Coke and hang out. I have found it's just as much fun, a whole lot cheaper, (Generally folks assume I am a Designated Driver= free Coke) It's funny really, go to a biker bar type of hangout and watch the Harley guys VS the Sportbike guys... Harley guys are drinking beer, sport Bike crowd is drinking freakin Ice Tea. It's handy though, once the Harley guys are liquered up them fists sure move REAL SLOW...
smile.gif

Besides, I can hardly control myself sober, and the Busa provides all the endorphines I will ever need...

Don't mix booze with riding folks. Better yet, just don't drink at all, alcohol is a one way ticket to slow thinking Potbellied loneliness....

Back