Battery dies after a couple of days

Shaft

Registered
Hey guys.. I've had my Busa for 2 weeks now.  Bought it used off a kid.. it has 11,000miles on it.. US bike.. 2001 Silver/Blue.

It has clear front signals.. Custom undertail with LED's Busa symbol in the tail lights.

I put in a fresh battery last week, charged it fully with a trickle charger and was riding it since.  Last night, i noticed my headlight was pretty dim.. flicked the high beam, bike stuttered and the FI light came on.  I immedaitly flicked the high beam off and realized that I'm due for a quit on the side of the road!!  So I pinned it to get it home! 15 min outta town!!  I was about 5 minutes left from my destination when all my gauges froze, Odometer quit showing and the clock was dead too.  Bike started jerking then quit.  Luckily I made it to my road and walked it home.  So!  I read many posts about warm startups and such.. is that killer on the battery??  Should I normally be charging my battery every 2-3 nights?  Shes only young.. so its kinda weird to have altenator probs already.. but then again.. this is my first busa.  

Your info is greatly appreciated! AND WHAT AN AWESOME FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Hopefully its not your stator.  I would throw a voltmeter on the battery terminals and see what you are getting when the bike is running and when its off.  If its not getting a lot of volts when running, it may be the charging system.  Otherwise the battery may need to be replaced.  Hopefully its just the battery.

Whats the estimated cost if it is the charging system?? Is it a stator or altenator? Battery was new last week.. i doubt its that..

what should the voltmeter read at idle.. 1000rpm?? and 5000rpm??

thanks!

I honestly never did it to my Busa, but if nobody else replies I can test mine out tonight and let you know what volts I get. If you threw a battery on it last week and it was new, then most likely its in the charging system.

(Shaft @ Jul. 25 2007,08:25) Whats the estimated cost if it is the charging system?? Is it a stator or altenator?  Battery was new last week.. i doubt its that..

thanks!
13.4-15.1 @ 5000 rpm.

There is a service manual download in the maintenance section.

ok cool.. ya i got that manual.. i'm off at 5pm today.. its 10:50am right now.. will be doing my tests at 5 and i'll post what I find.

cheers!

(Shaft @ Jul. 25 2007,06:51) ok cool.. ya i got that manual.. i'm off at 5pm today.. its 10:50am right now.. will be doing my tests at 5 and i'll post what I find.

cheers!
If you are getting 13 to 15 volts when you test then it might be the rectifier

Has anyone done a starter kill switch for the headlight?? I'd like the headlight to be off when I hit the starter.. any insight on this?

(Bowdoc @ Jul. 25 2007,08:44)
(Shaft @ Jul. 25 2007,06:51) ok cool.. ya i got that manual.. i'm off at 5pm today.. its 10:50am right now.. will be doing my tests at 5 and i'll post what I find.

cheers!
If you are getting 13 to 15 volts when you test then it might be the rectifier.
Does the proceedure in the manual for testing the rectifier always work? I rememeber working on my ZX900 and everytime i tried to measure for resistence, it wasn't within range of the manual.. but still the bike worked fine and it was always a different problem.. just wondering on this.

Hey guys... well here is an update.

I installed my fully charged battery.
Measured volts before I started the bike.
Approx 13.7V

Turned the key on and started the bike.

Up to 7000rpm and holding 12.8V.

generator gone??

Bugs are really bad so I didn't want to rip the covers off just yet.

Also with a fresh battery, how long would i be able to ride the bike before it quits again?

I'm guessing its always had this problem since I bought it 2 weeks ago. When I first put in the new battery, it lasted about a week. I rode it pretty much every day.

What do you guys think?

(Shaft @ Jul. 25 2007,16:09) Hey guys... well here is an update.

I installed my fully charged battery.  
Measured volts before I started the bike.
Approx 13.7V

Turned the key on and started the bike.

Up to 7000rpm and holding 12.8V.

generator gone??

Bugs are really bad so I didn't want to rip the covers off just yet.

Also with a fresh battery, how long would i be able to ride the bike before it quits again?

I'm guessing its always had this problem since I bought it 2 weeks ago.  When I first put in the new battery, it lasted about a week.  I rode it pretty much every day.

What do you guys think?
Sounds like the stator

check the stator and the rectifier.

It could be either one.

You will kill a battery draining it continuously so you may want to get those parts checked and replaced as soon as possible.

Battery i don't care about.. there is warranty on the battery. Hard to believe its a stator though.. that low mileage?? anyone else replace one in under 15,000 miles? are the connectors for the stator in the back fairing as well? If I get a chance today, i will be begin testing those 2 parts.

I got 2 batteries on the go now. Can't stand the bike sitting on these hot days.

thx guys

Fix it otherwise it's going to leave you stranded or worse yet die out and leave you in the path of a semi.

That little ass battery has to run a headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals, dash lights, gauges, fuel pump, fuel injectors, multiple sensors, ECU and ignition system. You weren't riding for 2 weeks with a dead charging system. The problem started several minutes before you noticed the headlight going dim and the remaining 10 minutes almost got you home.

Pull the covers and start off by looking for an unplugged connector...and what do bugs have to do with you not wanting to remove covers?
rock.gif
If it turns out to be the stator, rectifier or anything else electrical on the Busa you're in luck because it's all childs play to replace. Remove a stator cover and the stator is right there. On my turbo charged Hondas, the engine has to be removed from the bike and the cases split to access the stator which typicaly lasts 12K to 15K miles at best.

(Turbo-Torch @ Jul. 26 2007,18:53) Fix it otherwise it's going to leave you stranded or worse yet die out and leave you in the path of a semi.

That little ass battery has to run a headlight, tail light, brake light, turn signals, dash lights, gauges, fuel pump, fuel injectors, multiple sensors, ECU and ignition system.  You weren't riding for 2 weeks with a dead charging system.  The problem started several minutes before you noticed the headlight going dim and the remaining 10 minutes almost got you home.

Pull the covers and start off by looking for an unplugged connector...and what do bugs have to do with you not wanting to remove covers?
rock.gif
 If it turns out to be the stator, rectifier or anything else electrical on the Busa you're in luck because it's all childs play to replace.  Remove a stator cover and the stator is right there.  On my turbo charged Hondas, the engine has to be removed from the bike and the cases split to access the stator which typicaly lasts 12K to 15K miles at best.
your right, whatever happened, happened all of a sudden. battery on a dead system dont last long at all.

i'm pulling covers tomorrow

(Professor @ Jul. 25 2007,06:43)
(Shaft @ Jul. 25 2007,08:25) Whats the estimated cost if it is the charging system?? Is it a stator or altenator?  Battery was new last week.. i doubt its that..

thanks!
13.4-15.1 @ 5000 rpm.

There is a service manual download in the maintenance section.
+1
cool.gif

Hey guys, well i started measuring the regulator and Stator.. Regulator seems to be fine.. however across some pins i fail to get readings.. Seen this happen many times with my Ninja's and still no problem.

How do I measure the stator properly? I followed the manual and found the 3 wire plug with the yellow wires.. i followed them right to the stator. Do I measure across the pins on the plug? or do i use one lead on my tester to ground to chassis? Confused here.. regardless, i measured across the pins on the plug randomly and get no readings.. 0.00

Back