wont start after a ride

c5busa

Registered
I have been having an issue my 2000 Busa (27k on it) will start cold just fine, but after a good 15-20 minute ride it will not restart immediately.  Stopping for gas or whatever, I go to turn it back on after being off for a few minutes and it acts like the Battery is low.  The crank is sluggish, it'll barely turn and the lights dim as it's trying.  I get a jump, and ta-daa it starts.  
The battery is one year old, fully charged with a trickle-charger and holds its charge.  The temp indicator is not indicating overheating and the initial fuel pump..etc startup all kicks on as usual when the key is set to on.
   Any ideas?

I believe you just answered your own question. You likely have a battery dying. I know it's only a year old, but it could still be possible.

Have you tried to load test the battery. A battery with a dead cell will show a full charge, but it will not put out all the amps need to turn over an engine. The proper amount of amperage is just as (if not more) important when starting up the bike.

Do you have a buddy that you can exchange battery with to test out the theory of a bad battery?

On my 67 Camaro if the timing is too far advanced it doesn't like to start when it's hot. I don't know if the base timing is adjustable on the busa(I think it is)or if it's all controled by the computer but I would check your timing. The starter on the Camaro also gets hot from the headers and a weak starter can aggrivate this problem so that might be something to check by doing a starter draw test. In addition to doing a battery load test you need to check and clean the connections at the battery terminals,starter,and the main ground cable.

Be very careful trying to start with bad bad battery on older bikes as if it kicks back it can damage cases..I would recommend upgrading to the New FBG Hayabusa Pro battery and it has more CC Amps than most,lmk if you need one..

There must be something wrong with mine. I still have the original battery from May 05
rock.gif

You might also check the battery connections; a bad or loose negative ground can cause the symptoms you describe especially when hot. I had this same thing happen with a relatively new battery; cold, it would crank fine but when hot, no go....

Edit: spelling

Be very careful trying to start with bad bad battery on older bikes as if it kicks back it can damage cases..I would recommend upgrading to the New FBG Hayabusa Pro battery and it has more CC Amps than most,lmk if you need one..
It happens to my bsa, i damage the case, it s a *****,to fix it,be very careful, btw i have a 2002.
deadhorse.gif

similar to whats going on with my bike, 05 w/ 6k miles. my battery is only 6 months old but i live in arizona. when the bike is hot, it acts like the battery is low, when cold it fires right up. it is also idling below 1000 rpm and dies after i rev it up or abruptly let go of the throttle. i added a pcIII today and it didn't change these problems.

I have never heard of that battery , can you tell me where to get it

Don't wonder it's the battery! When I bought mine the original owner had put in a bike master gel battery, I stalled the bike on the way home and sure enough it wouldn't start until it cooled off. It eventually got to the point that every time I stopped it wouldn't start so I replaced it with one of these. Haven't had a problem since :D

06 13k miles, would start fine cold but when short ride to gas station would not turn over. Shop did voltage checks, with no draw when key off, and stator not effected. After doing reads on busa blogs, and not wanting to push start her again, I replaced battery 90.00, regulator 109.00, starter 149.00 and changed to 4 gauge cable. She cranks like honda with no plugs in her... crazy nice. Thanks for information. NAPA had connectors and wire 51.00. oh, and did myself as shop wanted 250.00 to R&R the starter.. so easy>>>bolt that holds starter is ground wire bolt anyway..

Back