Bad battery(s)

IllBusa

Registered
My bike is an 03 and is 2 years old. This past Feb I decided to buy a new battery because the stock one was showing signs it was going bad, at least so I thought.

I bought a brand new Yuasa YT12A-BS but didnt get around to installing it 'til May when it was warm enough (for me) to ride, I bought a charger along with it as well. I removed the stock battery, "assembled" the new battery, charged it and threw it in.

When I turned the key and flipped the ingition that standard alarm sound struggled like the battery was low
mad.gif
... it NEVER did that with the stock battery. Tried to start it and I got this clicking sound, similar to when a car battery is dead and youre trying to start it
mad.gif

I charged the stock battery and threw it back in and all was right again. So while I was glad it was a battery charge issue, I was definately p.o'ed my BRAND NEW $75 battery was acting funny.

Long story short (well, not so short), the website I bought it from (will never do that again) only offered a 30day warranty and Yuasa told me to go fishin'...

JUST today however, I go out to start my bike and nothing...no lights, no nothing...
wow.gif
I connected the charger thinking maybe I left the bike in park instead of lock over night (I've done it once before
blush.gif
). The charger I bought, Yuasa 12V 1.5amp, flashes yellow when testing then a continuous yellow when charging. It usually only flashes 10-20 secs before charging. Well, the yellow light flashed for upwards of 30 MINUTES before I said fuggit and checked the "faulty" Yuasa battery. The light flashed yellow about 10 secs then began charging....

I let the Yuasa battery charge a little since it's sat in a box since May then threw it in. I got lights but when I tried to start it I get that clicking noise still...

So does it sound like I have 2 bad batteries (the stock and the "new" one)? Should I take them both to a shop to get checked just in case? I don't want to plop down $100 for a YT14 when it's really something else.

mad.gif

Take those batteries to an auto parts store and have them load tested. You could have sulfates on the plates causing internal resistance and a low current output. The load test will tell you if the batteries meet spec. The auto parts store usually does not charge for this test. Also, some auto parts stores carry motorcycle batteries for a lot less than bike shops. I've even seen them at Walmart real cheap. If the batteries are good, check your ground wires. I've had to put two ground wires on bikes on several occasions. One from the battery to the motor, one from the battery to the frame.

Those batteries are pieces of sh.t! Mine was bad the day I picked the busa up from the dealer.Searching around now for alternatives.:;):

My busa is -99 i have the stock battery, still going strong.I have a charger on allways when i dont ride the bike. ( CTEK MULTI XS 3600 ) fully automatic quality charger. www.ctek.se

Interesting .... I have an '05, and the battery went dead within 4 months or so (during the winter). Although I think it was the dealer not properly "assembling" and charging it, since getting a new battery, I disconnect the negative terminal every time I finish a ride, because I will not ride again for another week ... or longer. Just guessing, but if you let the bike sit (even with the key properly "off"), do you keep it on a trickle charge? If not, your battery is simply draining itself while running the low voltage electronics ... like the clock. So, either keep it on a trickle charge, or disconnect the negative terminal. Just my $.02.

<!--EDIT|05 Busa LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154870138 -->

Im still on my original battery.  Its an 02 thats parked outside all year.  
sad.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif
  30k miles on the bike.

<!--EDIT|Big E
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154887699 -->

sad.gif

sad.gif

Thanks for the replies. I took both batteries to the dealer and both tested bad. Needless to say I was a tad bit piturbed the Yuasa battery was bad out of the box.

To Boosaw: Thanks for the input. Would I need a multimeter to check if the battery or whatever is grounded properly? I'm not electronically/mechanically inclined but if it's pretty simple I can work a multimeter.

To 05Busa LE; Naw, I wasn't keeping the trickler on the battery during the winter. But you confirmed what a mechanic told me about trickling the battery during the winter.

To 300Busa, I didnt store the battery on the floor, Iactually left the stock battery installed all winter after reading conflicting ideas on whether it's a bad idea or not. You can rest a sured I'm on the "bad idea" side now. Actually the battery sat in my bike for 2 winters...I guess this past winter it said F*** You!!

This is my first bike so I'm still learning a thing or two about upkeep. Now where can a find a replacement? www.motorcyclebatteries.com won't be getting my money again. I know it's not their fault the battery was bad from the jump but their refund/replacement policy blows.

<!--EDIT|IllBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155303591 -->

Back