Bad Luck with Raising Links

Duts87ss

Registered
Well, just like every other bolt that the previous owner touched, the bolts for the dogbones were "gorilla tight". I'm either going to have to order new bolts and grind the heads off the current ones or take the bike to the dealer to get them loosened. I was really looking forward to seeing how the 1/2" up helped handling.

I had the same situation on the front axle. Took rear wheel off, tried to get the front wheel off but no dice. Using a "cheater pipe" I was sliding the bike (on stands) across the garage floor with no luck. Took rear wheel to get done and then had to ride back to the dealer to have them do the front. Tech told me that whoever put the axle in last must need a piece really bad.

Sorry, had to vent. Ticks me off that anytime I want to mod something that my impact isn't enough to get it loose. Someone needs to learn about torque specs!!!

I had the same problem and the head of the bolt was rounded off too much to even hold a wrench. heres what I did....I stuck a pair of vise grips on the right side(side that was boogered up) and used a breaker bar on the other side to twist the whole assembly until the vise grips were wedged against the swingarm and then I was able to finally bust it loose! If you've got the bike on a stand its gonna make it even harder to use my method because all the weight is going to be on the links still so I suggest running some metal stock throught the swingarm pivot and putting a jack stand on each side to take that pressure off the swingarm while your doing this.

don't Purchase an impact driver use a torch and heat the end of the bolt or nut up alittle and that will free it up from the loc-tight and then remove it real easy :rulez:

I bought a Makita 3/4 inch drive electric impact gun.
It gives 433 ft pounds of torque.
I haven't met a bolt yet that it won't take off.
You can rent these and get some of the real stubborn ones off.
It is truly amazing (weighs 22 pounds)

Your guy probably used one of these to tighten your bolts. :whistle:

1.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a Makita 3/4 inch drive electric impact gun.
It gives 433 ft pounds of torque.
I haven't met a bolt yet that it won't take off.
You can rent these and get some of the real stubborn ones off.
It is truly amazing (weighs 22 pounds)

Your guy probably used one of these to tighten your bolts. :whistle:

i carry one with my trailer.....got stuck on the road to LV, got a flat and could not get the wheel off because the genius at "tire barn" went crazy with the impact wrench...

It just goes to show ya.....there are still a bunch of gorilla's out there spinning wrenches.. :cursin:..I do a lot of charity work here in Vegas on my days off and I'm constantly running into a too-tight-for-the-application, or a spun bolt that didn't need to be......

I can always here them saying, "Ya get it good and tight....no that's not tight enough....THIS IS !!!!"........DOH !!!!! :banghead:

Put the bike on the ground, lock up the bolt, and get some extended leverage...if it's like mine was, you're bucking about 130ft/lbs, and if you're not holding the impact tight enough, you're not transmitting that force onto the nut it's going up your arms and hands.......

Last edited:
Hey for those interested, they make a 1 inch drive impact....it has 738 foot pounds of torque. I bet if the nut was welded on it would take it off.

1 inch.jpg

Checker Schucks & Kragen auto parts - I found a cheap electric impact gun. It plugs into a car cig lighter and cost like $20. It is low quality but I only use it about once every three months. I got it three years ago and it still helps me out from time to time.

Stay away from a torch.. way too many things to go wrong... a run of the mill cheapo electric impact will work wonders.. (simply smacking a frozen fastener with a hammer can be enough to knock it loose)

Are you trying to turn the bolt or the nut? If I remember right the inside face of the bolt head is knurled and has quite a grip.

Are you trying to turn the bolt or the nut? If I remember right the inside face of the bolt head is knurled and has quite a grip.

I tried both. I have a friend and work that is going to let me borrow his 3/4" air impact. I'll give it a go this weekend. Hopefully I can reply with good news.

Back