Raising links + 1 rear--- installation questions

TonyMastodon

Big Blue Burrito!
Registered
Would i need to remove the rear wheel to get to these or am I ok just getting it up on a jack?

Also, will the rear shock spring decompress on me when I pull the bolts from the stock ones??

any pointers? Im planning on doing this sometime this week and just dont want any surprises.

It's totally easy if you do a few things correctly. My way was to lift the bike by using a solid steel 5/8" bar (Lowe's or Home Depot) inserted through the hollow swingarm axle hole. When you undo the stock dogbones, the wheel, swingarm and connected suspension components will want to drop down...I wedged two pieces of wood as a "lifting lever" (only pic I have of this is the below front wheel shot) to use when you insert the bolts into the replacement dogbones. I hope this misc. advice helps....don't forget to put lite coat of grease onto bolts AND use LocTite.
Below are misc. pics, not in any order. Raydog

P1000681.JPG

P1000682.JPG

P1000683.JPG

P1000684.JPG

P1000687.JPG

P1020043.JPG

This reminds me, I have a set of +1 links I bought back when I first got the Busa and never put them on. Got to wondering about adverse (nasty) handling effects, put off installing them, then totally forgot 'em.:rolleyes2:
Let us know what you think of them.

put the rear on a stand and put a small jack under the midsection of the bike u use the jack to raise or lower the bike so u can line up the links with the holes...its much easier then what raydog did and faster if you have the wieght ever so slightly on the jack removing the old bolts become much easier to

This reminds me, I have a set of +1 links I bought back when I first got the Busa and never put them on. Got to wondering about adverse (nasty) handling effects, put off installing them, then totally forgot 'em.:rolleyes2:

No ill effects here, plus I'm using a 180/55 as well as 5mm ride height in the rear shock.

It's a good mod, put them on. Turn in is eaiser and the front feels more planted.

cheers
ken

Here's an example....stock height (all else being the same) in deep corner that exits onto long straight (so you need a good drive) compared to +1" in same situation......when raised I feel SO MUCH MORE connected to the tarmac and believe the relationship my brain has to where the bike is (read..steering geometry = connection through bars into forks, tire and rolling surface) is far superior to stock rear height. This is not and arguable issue, it's just how the change makes me feel, am I going faster? Yes, but I practice alot so I don't know how much I can attribute to the +1" vrs. just alot more corner time! I can tell you I will never lower my bike back to OEM height....even for touring. Raydog

Last edited:
put the rear on a stand and put a small jack under the midsection of the bike u use the jack to raise or lower the bike so u can line up the links with the holes...its much easier then what raydog did and faster if you have the wieght ever so slightly on the jack removing the old bolts become much easier to

+1...remove the tail fairing and put the jack under the bracket where it attaches. Raise the rear with the jack until the spools are barely touching the rear stand and the bolts will come out easily. Then raise or lower the jack to line up the new links. I have done it twice on my Busa and am about to do it again soon. Good luck !

Been thinking about raising mine so if you want to get rid of those links let me know. :thumbsup:

Been thinking about raising mine so if you want to get rid of those links let me know. :thumbsup:

I'll put 'em on eventually, sooner now that I remember I have them.
Give them a try at least, could sure use a little quicker turn in. If it goes to headshaking all the time and trying to buck me off, I'll sell them to you then.:laugh:

Back