Bad drivers

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
My girlfriend and I went to dinner on a Saturday night a few weeks ago with our neighbors from another apartment – nice folks, she’s a stay at home mom, he’s a 50 something doctor. This was our first time out together to get to know each other. They offered to drive and we accepted. He drove, I rode shotgun up front, his wife and my girlfriend rode in the back seat and chatted. I don’t consider myself an overly critical passenger, but I do notice other folks’ driving and I can’t help but pay attention when riding with another driver, I guess it’s a natural offshoot of being a motorcyclist – watching what’s going on around you is sort of automatic. Now to say he was the worst driver I ever saw would be an overstatement, he wasn’t, but he was inherently dangerous. I don’t mean dangerous in an aggressive way, I mean dangerous in the not aware of his surroundings and not in control of his vehicle way. In fact during our 30 minute ride to the restaurant he very nearly ran the car off the road surface several times on a straight and level road – correcting only at the last minute, and almost drove through two red lights (in both cases only my verbal intervention stopped him). He had not been drinking or otherwise appear impaired. It just seemed driving was a tertiary concern ranking right behind making conversation and thinking about work or the kids; it was as if the car was supposed to be responsible for piloting us to the restaurant, steering and operating the other controls was more akin to a passive activity rather than an active and focused one. It was rather nerve-wracking for both myself and my girlfriend – both motorcyclists. We discussed his driving when we returned home and both agreed he was pretty frightening to ride with. The gist of this is that while I’m riding I tend to watch the cars around me, it’s a defensive trait that most riders share, we have all experienced the inattentive motorist or the one that just didn’t see us and took our lane. Evasive tactics and defensive riding go hand in hand for our survival when we ride. However, this ride with my neighbor was a real eye-opener for me, he was simply so bad behind the wheel it was frightening. This experience caused me to reflect on a key factor between motorcyclists and motorists, the average motorist couldn’t care less about improving their skills! Not only that, when’s the last time you heard anyone confess to being a poor-driver? Right, they’re all great, just ask them. I personally have yet to see a motorcyclist that does not strive to improve their skills. It’s a badge of honor for most of us and something we cultivate. One does not need to go far here to find the proof positive of my statement – witness the existence of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and their collection of skill building classes as just one example. Contrast that with the dearth of similar classes for the improvement of driving skills beyond the entry level driver education classes. So, where does that leave us? I don’t know about you but it makes me hyper-vigilant and more forgiving. I’m less inclined to take these folks’ mistakes personally which is better for my blood pressure and overall attitude. Hey, I just wanna ride and enjoy the bike so lemme just give some of these rolling hazards a wide birth and keep a wary eye open for my neighbor!
Enjoy the season folks.
-Jim

(Jimshog @ Jun. 18 2007,11:07) I personally have yet to see a motorcyclist that does not strive to improve their skills. It’s a badge of honor for most of us and something we cultivate.
I would have been a basket case, hitting that imaginary brake that's not in front of me, grabbing the "oh sh*t" bar over and over, not hearing a word of what he was saying because I figure I'm dead at any moment
laugh.gif

Had to comment on the quoted part of your statement above because I'm still ike  
eek2.gif
at this motorcyclist I was behind 2 weekends ago...

He was on a Harley, I think...the bike was stripped down, customized...bike looked odd but I wasn't sure exactly why until further down the road...it had NO TAIL LIGHTS AT ALL!  He was behind traffic and had cagers stopping to turn, and he was so unaware of his environment, or should I say he was TOO involved with the environment and not watching TRAFFIC.  He'd barely make the stop in time each time a cager would stop to turn, that's when I noticed he had no brake lights, no turn signals
laugh.gif

I was behind him for about 5 miles and I saw him cruise through a busy intersection where old folks pull out on you all of the time...I immediately noticed he wasn't even looking at the intersection or the cars coming and going through there as he breezed on through; nope, he was busy looking at the parking lot and stores as if he were on a scenic tour in midtown Manhattan
laugh.gif
 Had any cager opted to pull out in front of him, he never would have known what hit him 'til it was far too late...

The only light I saw on his bike from the back was a huge red light over his license plate; it did not light up when he braked...how he could ride without ANY rear lights or blinkers was a mystery to me.  When he finally reached his destination in his illegal skid lid, he just opted to slow and suddenly turned right, no signal, no hand signal, NO NOTHING...I am not one to tell others how to drive (but do want a ray gun to zap those in the fast lane going slow), but I had a strong desire to follow the guy and tell him just how much of a death wish he seemed to have...nuts, just insane...

Hey, glad you made it home!  LOL  I don't know how some people get from point A to point B and I think we know what leads to so many accidents now...  
wink.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

If you had asked him if he thought he was a good driver he would have said yes. Some of the worst I have seen are completely clueless. I drive tractor trailers for the USPS and have been run into with my BIG RED TRUCK, by someone coming onto the highway. He didnt see my truck with 53 foot trailer.
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

Yup, morons. 10-12 deep in some places. I treat every single car like they're going to pull out in front of me and once last season it happened and I was ready for it. Ended up 4 inches away from the drivers side door.
The pure look of "pathetic loser" on the guys face as I laid on the horn and pressing my fully extended middle finger against his window was actually very amusing.

I now use my flash to pass button incesantly when I see cars ready to pull out. When I'm in wall to wall city traffic, sometimes I put my hazards on. I really don't care what people think about it. It's my safety, not theirs.

(VaBusa @ Jun. 18 2007,10:22)
(Jimshog @ Jun. 18 2007,11:07) I personally have yet to see a motorcyclist that does not strive to improve their skills. It’s a badge of honor for most of us and something we cultivate.

eek2.gif

know what leads to so many accidents now...  
wink.gif
Probably impared.  Fate and I went to a bike night last Friday.  3 Busas, a Ducatti, and 250-300 Harleys.  Everyone was drinking.  They looked at us like we were retarded when we asked for non-alchoholic beverages.   Got served a cup of ice with 3 oz of diet coke. They all rode out of there on their bikes.

(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 18 2007,18:59) I now use my flash to pass button incesantly when I see cars ready to pull out.
That may work against you. Alot of people take the high beam flash to be a signal that you are giving them the go ahead.

Excellent post!
bowdown.gif
I am sick sick SICK!!!!!......of these mindless idiots texting people on cell phones and driving!!!!!!!
guns.gif

Excellent post!
bowdown.gif
I am sick sick SICK!!!!!......of these mindless idiots texting people on cell phones and driving!!!!!!!
guns.gif

(Luvanicebum @ Jun. 18 2007,16:59) I treat every single car like they're going to pull out in front of me...
Bingo. That's the way to ride.
I never trust a cager to do what they should do or look like they will do.

And I don't watch their eyes. I watch their wheels.

(VaBusa @ Jun. 18 2007,11:22)
I would have been a basket case, hitting that imaginary brake that's not in front of me, grabbing the "oh sh*t" bar over and over, not hearing a word of what he was saying because I figure I'm dead at any moment
laugh.gif

eek2.gif

He was on a Harley, I think...the bike was stripped down, customized...bike looked odd but I wasn't sure exactly why until further down the road...it had NO TAIL LIGHTS AT ALL! He was behind traffic and had cagers stopping to turn, and he was so unaware of his environment, or should I say he was TOO involved with the environment and not watching TRAFFIC. He'd barely make the stop in time each time a cager would stop to turn, that's when I noticed he had no brake lights, no turn signals
laugh.gif

I was behind him for about 5 miles and I saw him cruise through a busy intersection where old folks pull out on you all of the time...I immediately noticed he wasn't even looking at the intersection or the cars coming and going through there as he breezed on through; nope, he was busy looking at the parking lot and stores as if he were on a scenic tour in midtown Manhattan
laugh.gif
Had any cager opted to pull out in front of him, he never would have known what hit him 'til it was far too late...

The only light I saw on his bike from the back was a huge red light over his license plate; it did not light up when he braked...how he could ride without ANY rear lights or blinkers was a mystery to me. When he finally reached his destination in his illegal skid lid, he just opted to slow and suddenly turned right, no signal, no hand signal, NO NOTHING...I am not one to tell others how to drive (but do want a ray gun to zap those in the fast lane going slow), but I had a strong desire to follow the guy and tell him just how much of a death wish he seemed to have...nuts, just insane...

Hey, glad you made it home! LOL I don't know how some people get from point A to point B and I think we know what leads to so many accidents now...
wink.gif
Toilet Paper
rock.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back