Back over by a Semi-truck on my busa,

Get a lawyer. That could've been YOU under that truck!!!! I see way too many people that shouldn't be behind the wheel of a big rig. Do something about this!!!

Last edited:
Glad your ok! Truck driver here...
Helps to not stop behind them in the center. Nicer to stop to one side preferably the drivers side in his mirror you should be able to his face in the mirror and at that position you should be able to be seen easily, and in case he is goofball, you are in a better spot to avoid or take evasive action if you left enough room to maneuver just in case he is a complete moron an just throws his **** in reverse an hopes for the best.

Truck driver here too, hell Southern Illinois truck driver at that! Not your fault, his insurance will pay, or if it's a company owned truck the owner may pay out of pocket. Don't settle for less than what you feel is fair in either case. There are things that you could have done to avoid it, (truck drivers can't see what's not in our mirrors, and radio or not we ain't gonna hear a damn thing that's 50 or 60 feet behind us) but still his fault (I'm guessing he was looking for low gear and got reverse instead). Glad you are okay, get a fair settlement, learn a valuable lesson and move on.

Thank you all for your kind words, I told my wife, how nice and concerned the people on the message board was. I finally got some pictures of the damage last night, they are not the best. Like I said it was mostly cosmetic damage, but it still makes me sick to look at it. I had babied her since the first day we traveled 5 hours one way in January to Alabama to get her at Motor Sports Super store. She is a member of our family.
To answer some of your questions,
The driver of the truck was very apologentic, and sorry what he had done. He realized that he messed up by backing up, in Illinois you are not suppose to back up with out a spotter. I normally do stay near the centerline so I can see their mirrors. What happend was he was rolling to pull out on to Route 14 and a car was coming towards him to turn on to the road that we were on and had there turn signal on to turn, so he was going to trust them and pull out, and they changed their mind, and turned their signal off and didn't turn, so he stopped and was too far out in the intersection for another semi to make the turn off the Highway. The other trucker got on the radio and asked him to back-up, that is when he back over us.
I take part of the blame I should have been where he could see us, and normally I am, but this time he was moving and I thought he was going on through and then when we stopped for about 3 seconds, then he backed up. I was screwed at that point. I was in the middle of the lane, a sitting duck, normally I would have been ok and lucky but this time he backed up.
I have all the respect in the world for truck drivers, my uncle retired after driving for 40+years. Lesson learned, I will see their mirrors and give them 40 acres!!!!!
Thanks again for all the kind words and told my wife, we need to go to Eurkea Springs and meet some of you fine folks, We may be there with scratchs or hopefully with out scratches.

motorcycle pictures 012.jpg

motorcycle pictures 014.jpg

motorcycle pictures 002.jpg

motorcycle pictures 006.jpg

motorcycle pictures 018.jpg

motorcycle pictures 005.jpg

unless there is something more than I see...if I was an insurance adjuster or even a cop...I would say you back peddled, slipped and dropped your bike.

He hit me in the headlight area with his center mudflap of the trailer, and the good thing there was 4 other people saw the whole thing happen, which was good for me and one of the witness was a Sec.Of State police officer and he called in the accident.
I stayed as long as I could on the bike before it started to overtakeme, I laid it down as gentle as I could, when he finally stopped the rear mudflap was against my face shield. so it didn't go down very hard at all. It happened very fast.

lot of $$ in replacing all those scratched fairings. If you have a scratch on the frame insurance might try to total it....im just saying.

He hit me in the headlight area with his center mudflap of the trailer, and the good thing there was 4 other people saw the whole thing happen, which was good for me and one of the witness was a Sec.Of State police officer and he called in the accident.
I stayed as long as I could on the bike before it started to overtakeme, I laid it down as gentle as I could, when he finally stopped the rear mudflap was against my face shield. so it didn't go down very hard at all. It happened very fast.

center mudflap of a trailer? Must be an IL thing.

I was figuring you were hit with an ICC bumper which would have caused very noticeable damage.

either way I was expecting much more damage.

most important thing is you got out unharmed. The bike can be replaced or fixed.

..my guess is you are looking at around $4000 in dealer repairs. If no wheels have scratches...if they do..more money.

Get your check and buy the parts yourself and install....with the damage to that 1 can you could get an aftermarket exhaust...if you want one.

DO NOT TELL THEM YOU BACKPEDLED AND DROPPED IT. I dunno about all states but in this one, if he didnt make contact before you drop it it will be your fault. Friend of mine layed his down cause some idiot pulled out infront of him and ended up going to court and lost the case because he lost contro before he made contact with the vehicle. Also a truck driver here, sounds like both of you were prolly at fault but he shouldnt have backed up at a damn stop sign. companys have good insurance and I would say they may simply settle out of insurance to keep there rates down. Glad you guys were not hurt though. Good luck

Sorry to hear about your bike. If you couldn't seehis mirrors, you are just as much in the wrong. They have warnings posted on most truck trailers to warn you to stay out of the blind spots. The best you can probaby do is getting the bike fixed. The "sue the crap out of them" BS is a 'something for nothing' attitude that helped cause our current national woes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Very glad you and the Mrs. are okay! I teach Driver's Education part-time and being a rider, I really nail home the lesson "Sharing The Roadway" with other vehicles, especially motorcycles. I will tell you that a defense the driver might and more than likely will use is: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you." I have to explain this lesson a lot to my students and I'm glad they include it in Driver's Education now. I really hope everything works our for you and the bike but just be prepared for that defense.

my opinion:

you did nothing wrong legally. Lane position is not a legal issue unless you left the road or crossed the line. If you were in the lane and he hit you (especially going backwards) he can actually face wreckless driving charges.

With that said, yes personally, you need to focus on protecting yourself from idiots on the road by maintaining safe following distances, learning to watch traffic and expect/anticipate dangers, and learning proper and safe lane positioning.

If an officer or an agent hears you say, I laid it down as gentle as I could,...that is intentional in my opinion.

I am glad you had a witness and I hope you nothing but the best but it is normally safer to keep a "they're all out to get me" mentality on your bike

Drivers tend to have anger/stupidity towards bikes. Cops tend to also. Insurance companies process SO many bike claims, they are more than eager to cut you out of a dime.

so take extra care of yourself...

your pipes are about 800$ea your insurance should total at least that one which puts you well on your way to some sweet aftermarket pipes. You would be amazed at what a good shop can polish out. My head light looked worse and they made it look like new,so that money can go to more cool stuff. A good shop will get you all they can and your custom with little or no money out of your own pocket. Anyhow hope it all works out
better than new:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the advice, I hope to hear back from the dealership the price of
parts then I will submit my claim to the insurance adjuster. I just want my babygirl back to the way she looked before he hit us. I am sure I will get alot of run around from the claims adjuster before it is all said and done. The good thing is the wife and I are ok and
the busa stills runs strong and is ridable. I am for sure looking for aftermarket exhaust.

Thanks again everyone:thumbsup:

Back